4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Zaslon

Reactions
677 7 0
Country
Russian Federation
Azerbaijan has stated at the beginning of 2018, They would enhance a stronger defence cooperation with Russia because of Armenia's newly acquired weapons from them...

For their Army, Azerbaijan started to look at procuring the T-90MS, TOS-1As, more BMP-3s, Khrizantema-S Tank Destroyers and 2S19 Mstas. Azerbaijan expressed interest in procuring 50 BMD-4s to be used as light tanks and procuring 80-100 SPM-3 Medved armored vehicle... some sources even hinted around at the fact Azerbaijan is looking at previous deals and might send 100 T-72s to Russia to be converted to the BMPT-72 Heavy Infantry Fighting vehicle. There is also a possibility that Azerbaijan could be the launch customer for the Uragan-1M. There is also rumors indicating that Azerbaijan has interest in purchasing Krasukha-4 EW Systems, and purchasing the Kasta-2E Radar.

For their Air Force, Azerbaijan is now looking at possibly acquiring the SU-35 or MiG-35 due to the fact that Armenia is receiving SU-30SMs in the future, some say as many as 20-40 aircraft could be acquired, Azerbaijan appears to leaning more towards the SU-35, which means if you exclude Russia, Azerbaijan will have the strongest air force in the Caspian region. There was also mentions of Azerbaijan Mi-28NMs ~30-40 of them so they could move their Mi-24Gs to their border troops. They are also looking at buying 20 Yak-130 trainer jets.

For their Navy, Azerbaijan has expressed interest in procuring 3-5 Project 22160 Patrol Ships and 2-3 Improved Kilo Class Subs which would make them the strongest navy in the Caspian again excluding Russia. Azerbaijan is also looking at a deal from 2012-2013 in which they were to purchase 8 BAL Coastal Launchers for the defense of their coast line and oil refineries.

For their Air Defence forces, Azerbaijan was looking at having Russia install a manufacturing facility for the production of the Igla-S MANPAD. There has been reports of Azerbaijani officials holding negotiations of another S-300PMU2 battery as well as looking at the Sosna SAM to replace their ageing Strela-1/10 air defence systems. some unofficial reports claim Azerbaijan is looking at new Medium Range SAMs, in which Russia is ready to propose the S-350 "Vityaz" to them. They are also looking at procuring ~30-50 Pantsir-S1s to replace their ZSU-23-4 "Shilka" SPAAGs sometime.

as an additional note, I seen one source (I highly doubt tbh) anyhows claim that Baku could be potential as purchasing the S-400.... but lets see if that happens.

Last edited:

Yıldırım

Reactions
823 2 0
Country
Turkey
@Zaslon It's true however many of those deals are secondary in case their main options fail. Azerbaijan is known to go for something more advanced then what Russia has to offer the Armenians.

an example of this the fact the Russians are proposing the S-350 to the Armenians right now as fact the Armenians can not afford the S-400. So Azerbaijan is looking at the Hisar-O, Belarus's MRSAM system as a countermeasure against the S-350.

The Igla-S production line in Azerbaijan has been in talks for the last 2 to 3 years and in which once the Hisar MANPAD comes into mass production starting later this year or the start of the next, Azerbaijan is hoping we grant them an assembly line.

I also have doubts the S-400 would be exported to Baku, considering the S-300PMU2 is the most advanced S-300 model in export terms in which the Armenians only have the P models. so nothing to be worried about, but if Armenia does get their hands on the S-400 that would be a different story for sure.

I am very skeptical on the BMPT-72s, yes Azerbaijan has been wanting to acquire them for the last 4 or so years but each time they either couldn't afford it or Russia declined the offer. It would surprise me if Russia grants them production. as of right now Azerbaijan is looking at replacing their BMP-2s first in which right the Otokar Tulpar has a chance of winning

I see them going for the Mi-28NMs but it would compete against the T-129, which the Azerbaijanis are already looking at purchasing up ~60 of them for their Army/Air Force. I will share some of the developments of Azerbaijan's interest/deals in the Turkish sector later.

Other than that bro, great post :)

Zaslon

Reactions
677 7 0
Country
Russian Federation
@Yıldırım I agree I do not see them buying the S-400 for the fact they have PMU2s. currently Russia is offering the S-350 to Armenia due to the fact the S-400 is quite expensive and Armenia was looking at 2-3 batteries.
I don't see the reason for Azerbaijan to buy the S-400 unless Armenia did tbh.

Yıldırım

Reactions
823 2 0
Country
Turkey
Azerbaijan received 10 Polonez-M systems from Belarus during ADEX-2018 in Baku, bringing the total up to 20 now
M.jpg

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
Azerbaijan seems to be spending quite a bit on the land forces , but is there any plans for them to acquire more aircraft and warships?

Yıldırım

Reactions
823 2 0
Country
Turkey
Azerbaijan seems to be spending quite a bit on the land forces , but is there any plans for them to acquire more aircraft and warships?
France is offering the OPV-90 to Azerbaijan with Baku Shipyards to locally construct them. there is also the fact the Azerbaijanis have gone to Russia and have pointed out interested in the Project 22160 OPV/corvettes, Tigr class corvette and Improved Kilo submarines. Turkey is offering Ada class corvettes + FAC-55s to Azerbaijan with Azerbaijani shipyards gaining a majority of the local manufacturing.

as for aircraft the Azerbaijanis I know are looking at the JF-17 Block III but they want TAI and Aselsan to install it with the new Aselsan AESA radar, and have TAI install the ejection seat, and aviation components along with integrating the SOM-A cruise missile.
there is also the fact during ADEX-18 in Baku, they signed a major pact with TAI which I will post sometime.

Yıldırım

Reactions
823 2 0
Country
Turkey
Azerbaijan signed an agreement with TAI to acquire Anka-S, TF-X, Hürjet and Hürkuş B/C models. it also said that Azerbaijan will put some money into TF-X and Hürjet development. also Azerbaijan plans to setup a joint pilot program using the Hürjet
Anka .jpg

Hurjet.jpg

Hurkus.jpg

TF-X.jpg

Yıldırım

Reactions
823 2 0
Country
Turkey
President Aliyev at TAI's HQ inspecting the T129. Azerbaijan is looking at signing a contract for 60 at $3 Billion

Yıldırım

Reactions
823 2 0
Country
Turkey
to the growing Belarusian-Azerbaijan defence cooperation enhancement, Azerbaijan put interest in the Belarusian Burevestnik-MB UAV