Attack on army camp in J&K's Sunjwan, 2 officers killed. | World Defense

Attack on army camp in J&K's Sunjwan, 2 officers killed.

MaarKhoor

Reactions
194 10 0
Country
Pakistan
SRINAGAR: An Army jawan was on Saturday killed after a group of heavily armed terrorists attacked an Army camp in Jammu and Kashmir's Sunjwan area.

Two other people have been injured in the firing by the terrorists. The camp is located on Jammu-Pathankot National Highway.

ANI

✔@ANI

#Visuals deferred by unspecified time: Operation underway after terrorists attacked Sunjwan Army camp. One Hawaldar & his daughter injured.

6:14 AM - Feb 10, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

The armed men hurled grenades and used a heavy volume of automatic gunfire to enter the military station. The firing started at around 5 am.

Schools within 500 meters of the camp have been asked to remain shut by the district administration.

The terrorists are said to be still inside the military camp but their number is yet to be ascertained. They reportedly belong to the Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) terror outfit.

Intelligence inputs had warned an attack on the army or security establishment by JeM in view of the death anniversary of Afsal Guru who was hanged on February 9, 2013.

ANI

✔@ANI

Replying to @ANI

#Visuals Jammu and Kashmir: Gun shots heard inside Sunjwan Army camp, area cordoned off. More details awaited. (visuals deferred by unspecified time)

5:20 AM - Feb 10, 2018

"Around 4:55 am suspicious movement was noticed by the santri; santri bunker was fired upon and they retaliated. The number of terrorists is not known, they've been cornered in one of the family quarters. Two people have been injured, one Hawaldar and his daughter. The operation is on," Jammu IGP SD Singh Jamwal said.

View image on Twitter

ANI

✔@ANI

Replying to @ANI

Around 4:55 am suspicious movement was noticed by the santri; santri bunker was fired upon & they retaliated. No. of terrorists isn't known, they've been cornered in one of the family quarters. 2 injured, one Hawaldar & his daughter. Operation is on: Jammu IGP SD Singh Jamwal

5:49 AM - Feb 10, 2018

Meanwhile, the area has completely been cordoned off by security forces. Drones and helicopters are being used by the security forces to track the terrorists.

Speaking to J&K DGP over the attack, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh directed officials of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) to look into the matter.

Militants had attacked the same army station in 2006. Twelve soldiers were killed and seven others were injured in that attack before the two 'fidayeen' (suicide) terrorists were killed.
http://zeenews.india.com/jammu-and-...p-in-jks-sunjwan-gun-shots-heard-2079945.html

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Although I wish the best for Kashmir and its people in achieving autonomy if that is what they wish for so be it however, I see the use of force is not going to bear any fruit rather complicate the issue and leads to death of innocent civilians. I don't have any hope in negotiation either. Kashmiris need to be politically active on an international scale.

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
I don't have any hope in negotiation either.

India can keep refusing people of Kashmir their demands ..... at cost of never emerging as a serious super power.

As long as disputed Kashmir is there ......... India is not moving to achieve remarkable permanent success at the world stage.

MaarKhoor

Reactions
194 10 0
Country
Pakistan

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
Although I wish the best for Kashmir and its people in achieving autonomy if that is what they wish for so be it however, I see the use of force is not going to bear any fruit rather complicate the issue and leads to death of innocent civilians. I don't have any hope in negotiation either. Kashmiris need to be politically active on an international scale.

Your very balanced statement is to be appreciated by all others who seek peace. May I say this without agreeing with your two final sentences?

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Your very balanced statement is to be appreciated by all others who seek peace. May I say this without agreeing with your two final sentences?

Absolutely but you should also be fair in giving an ear to the Kashmiri people even if you don't agree enough to recognize.

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
Absolutely but you should also be fair in giving an ear to the Kashmiri people even if you don't agree enough to recognize.

In giving an ear, I believe that they should be given full autonomy as it was to have been under the Kashmir Constitution. Violations of the provisions of the Constitution and laws violating Article 370 of the Indian Constitution should be re-submitted immediately for the consideration of the Kashmir State Assembly, and only those passed by that Assembly should remain on the books.

All laws from 1956 onwards (when the Kashmir Constitution came into force) should be reviewed by the Kashmir legislature, and brought into effect only through due process.

Not to make any kind of personal point, but I have an extremely large set of friends and acquaintances in Kashmir. As may be expected, the vast majority consist of Kashmiri Muslims. These friends and acquaintances are, some of them, pro-India, some of them pro-Azadi. The pro-Azadi ones predominantly want self-rule, meaning that their elected legislature should have the final say in law-making, and civil rights, meaning that every instance of a human rights violation should be investigated and followed up just as zealously as is the practice everywhere in the democratic world. I believe that this is the least that they deserve.

I also believe that instead of the very uncertain approach followed by the Indian bureaucracy, and the equally uncertain approach of politicians from time to time, all administrative matters should be left to the Kashmiri administration, except foreign affairs, defence and communications.

The question of the stark differences in approach between representatives of Jammu, representatives of the Vale and representatives of the people of Ladakh remains. The best solution may be to form standing committees within the state legislature for each of these three zones and to submit legislation to these three bodies for detailed deliberation before being put to the vote. That should help to ensure that all laws are applied consistent to the wishes of the people acting through their representatives. Given the degree of self-government laid down in their own constituent assembly, and given concessional opportunities for higher education in institutions outside Kashmir, I believe more than 50 to 70% of the troubled mental condition of Kashmiris should be relieved.

For the rest, the government of India has to understand two things and act on those.

First, Kashmir was never a unified state. Gilgit was under British administration for most of its existence, after its conquest by the combined forces of the British Empire and the Kashmir state forces; Azad Kashmir, their own term for themselves, or West Jammu, made its sentiments very clear in its revolt against the state administration in September/October 1947, completely independent of the tribal raids that won all the headlines, and the effective secession that their soldiers achieved on the battlefield. Only Baltistan, the upper half, centred on Skardu, was captured by external forces, and is, in my view, retained by Pakistan in a controversial way. For all practical purposes, two territories out of six have seceded, one has been cut in half through military conflict, and three others remain in Indian administrative control. We need to give our three and a half portions the degree of autonomy that is their right, and we need to formally give up claims to the other two and a half.

That takes care of Indian objections to the CPEC, for example. Without a dispute about the status of Gilgit and of Baltistan (often hyphenated in both Pakistani and Indian consideration with no justification), there is no difficulty in India cheerfully accepting the application of the One Road One Belt concept to those parts of the Pakistani Northern Territories. Any irregularity in Pakistani control of those territories is entirely, in my view, to be left to citizens of those two regions and the government of Pakistan.

Second, allowing strictly monitored interaction between adjacent territories will mean a vast increase in trade and a substantive increase in economic development of all the regions concerned. That will be the single biggest incentive for peace, and should be something that the government of India should seek unilaterally, with or without the cooperation of the government of Pakistan.

I hope this will explain that it is not to suppress the voices and wishes of the Kashmiri people, the people, specifically of Jammu, the Vale, Baltistan in Indian administration and Ladakh, that I disagree with mediation in Kashmir. it is to progressively give them greater and greater autonomy, as was always conceived, and to disentangle them from international disputes, and finally to liberate their opportunities to enrich themselves through trade.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
Considering the sensitivity of this matter to both India and Pakistan and to maintain scrupulousness and fairness, title has been changed to Attack on army camp in J&K's Sunjwan, 2 officers killed.

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
Considering the sensitivity of this matter to both India and Pakistan and to maintain scrupulousness and fairness, title has been changed to Attack on army camp in J&K's Sunjwan, 2 officers killed.

Today is turning out to be more and more of a grim day.

Asma Jahangir, whom I admire intensely, died suddenly, and unexpectedly. I went across to PDF to convey my regrets, and what I read in that thread was absolutely horrifying. Then, a few minutes later, I read Rajdeep Sardesai's tweets about how he was hounded about his son's admission to medical college. And, from the morning, this dismal news and the realisation that our babus in New Delhi have killed six more soldiers.

MaarKhoor

Reactions
194 10 0
Country
Pakistan
Do me a favor ban terrorist word for Kashmiri freedom fighters on this forum since Pakistanis and most of Muslims don't agrees with Indian version of Kashmir and freedom struggle. Indian members can use alternatives like militant.

MaarKhoor

Reactions
194 10 0
Country
Pakistan
Sorry but 178 million indian Muslims do not agree with you . nor do most gulf countries . Barring china no one has supported you on Kashmir , people pay lip service but shy away from any support.
Its time we called people who kill innocent people in the guise of freedom fighters terrorists. There are no good or bad ones just murderers . At the end its only the innocent that suffer!!!
This is your version ask those Muslim / families who are being lynched for eating beef.

90000 + Kashmiris were slaughtered by barbaric forces of evil, You P.M Nehru brought this issue to U.N and agrees on plebiscite.
Why you are afaraid of that and why your lakhs of army present there? if Kashmir is Indian part why not India demand or attack to get Azaad Kashmir? because you know Kashmir belongs to us and that part with you is occupied just to blackmail us of water issues. sick mentality.

Last edited:

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
This is you version ask those Muslim / families who are being lynched for eating beef.

90000 + Kashmiris were slaughtered by barbaric forces of evil, You P.M Nehru brought this issue to U.N and agrees on plebiscite.
Why you are afaraid of that and why your lakhs of army present there? if Kashmir is Indian part why not India demand or attack to get Azaad Kashmir? because you know Kashmir belongs to us and that part with you is occupied just to blackmail us of water issues. sick mentality.

Silly.
  1. The failure of a possibility of a plebiscite was entirely due to the actions of one side in the drama, and that was not the Indian side. The Indian side was willing to observe each and every part of the UN Resolution, but not of the constantly amended resolutions that poured out over the years. It is disingenuous to think that a 1948 resolution holds good in 2018.
  2. There are three corps present there, in three regions,, in Ladakh, in the Vale and the western mountains, and in Jammu and the mountains in the hinterland of Jammu. In the Vale, there is one Army Corps, and that does not go beyond 3 divisions, sometimes 4. The figure cannot be stretched beyond 60,000.
    General Sundarji was sitting in on a conclave of Indians and Pakistanis discussing the Kashmir issue, when a former COAS of Pakistan mentioned the urban legend number of 700,000. General Sundarji's reply was that this figure could be achieved only by counting the limbs of Indian soldiers, multiplying by eight and dividing by two. That led to a blessed respite.
  3. India has demanded Azad Kashmir from the outset. Owing to complete refusal to listen, it became clear quite early that there was nothing to be gained by repeating the demand. Further, Pakistan claimed an inability to influence an independent state that was not, until recently, even a constitutionally accepted part of Pakistan. That relates to Azad Kashmir; the constitutional status of Gilgit, and of Baltistan, two completely different constituent elements of the princely state of Kashmir, is still subject to rapid and unpredictable changes.
  4. Talking of sick mentalities, one type of sick mentality is the paranoid type. I would be happy to learn of one single instance where the World Bank brokered Indus Waters Treaty has been violated by India.
@Indus Falcon
@Khafee

If anyone wishes to dance, I am quite happy to play the fiddle.

MaarKhoor

Reactions
194 10 0
Country
Pakistan
This is your version ask those Muslim / families who are being lynched for eating beef.