Canada's F18 replacement news & updates | Page 3 | World Defense

Canada's F18 replacement news & updates

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
So why are they not going for F-35 if they are part of the consortium?
plus interoperability with other NATO members?
F35's CAPEX is coming down, as we just saw with the Italian order, but what about OPEX?

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
F35's CAPEX is coming down, as we just saw with the Italian order, but what about OPEX?
yes, the Italian follow up order puts them at 60M/unit.
I have no idea about OPEX. Yes it is higher due to special care for stealth skin and tools to be used etc. But buying F15EX would put them at 110M/unit. Don't know what Gripen will cost them.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
yes, the Italian follow up order puts them at 60M/unit.
I have no idea about OPEX. Yes it is higher due to special care for stealth skin and tools to be used etc. But buying F15EX would put them at 110M/unit. Don't know what Gripen will cost them.
F15ex doesn't cost $110 million

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
For them it will be. They will have to build the infrastructure for it and all....
That's true, the F-35 would be even more expensive with all the security infrastructure that goes along with it

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
That's true, the F-35 would be even more expensive with all the security infrastructure that goes along with it
But then they are getting the latest technology and stealth. Future proof for the next 50 years.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
But then they are getting the latest technology and stealth. Future proof for the next 50 years.
I spoke with on Canadian about this on another defense forum, he said that they worry if they buy F35, will they have the money to operate them

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan
Hi,

Stealth fighters are great in performance and action---. But the technology to see stealth is only " one technological " break through away---.

If that happens---you are done and dusted---. The F15EX would have been a much better option.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Hi,

Stealth fighters are great in performance and action---. But the technology to see stealth is only " one technological " break through away---.

If that happens---you are done and dusted---. The F15EX would have been a much better option.
IRST, and Passive anti-stealth radars like VERA NG, JY-27A, and the NEW JY-26A radars are already doing that.

1592561594000.png

1592561609900.png

Rafale IRST lock on F22

1592562761800.png

VERA NG

1592562540500.png

JY-27A

1592562616500.png

NEW JY-26A

Armchair

Reactions
1,577 56 0
Country
Bangladesh
I am going out on a limb here but I believe that F-35 is not going to be invisible to fighter radars, even present GaN fighter radar on JF-17 BLock 3 may be able to spot it.

Stealth in real operational conditions are even more degraded.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
I am going out on a limb here but I believe that F-35 is not going to be invisible to fighter radars, even present GaN fighter radar on JF-17 BLock 3 may be able to spot it.

nothing is invisible, they get close enough or show it the wrong angle, yea they will see it on radar. Sensor fusion, and all the sensors they have though tells the pilot to stay so far away from this signal or you will be detected. IRST is a different animal, in the pictures that Kafee put up, not sure where those were taken with IRST, I know a lot were taken in Syria, F22's protecting strike packages from irritant Su's would get right between the strike package and the Su's kind of as a shield "Don't come any closer" and a lot of IRST pics were taken. But again sensor fusion, they will know where you're at before you know where they are at, if they are going to attack you, they will only show you the front of their aircraft, which has the lowest radar cross section, is hardest to see, and strike you before your sensors can pick them up, if they don't want to strike you, they will just avoid

Armchair

Reactions
1,577 56 0
Country
Bangladesh
It would be interesting to see the F-35 pitted against the AESA equiped Rafale to get better estimates. PAF Block 3s are very close (possibly superior in some cases) to the Rafale level of technology. Perhaps we will here something from a Red Flag or elsewhere someday.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
It would be interesting to see the F-35 pitted against the AESA equiped Rafale to get better estimates. PAF Block 3s are very close (possibly superior in some cases) to the Rafale level of technology. Perhaps we will here something from a Red Flag or elsewhere someday.
so far at Red Flag (not saying this won't change, not a huge fan of the F35) but they have been cleaning up

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan

Hi,

Visibility to a radar is a relative term---. From how far---?

Lock and launch your weapon is the real issue---.