Coronavirus News & Updates | Page 17 | World Defense

Coronavirus News & Updates

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
well I guess that has a lot to do with how you want to motivate your people, if they fear war and that is the last thing they want, you don't tell them to go to war against it. If your people do not fear war, you tell them we have to go to war to fight this. We got to dig down and fight this.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
Did Xi Jinping Deliberately Sicken the World?
PRC moral turpitude forces us to consider the unthinkable.
Ben Lowsen

By Ben Lowsen
April 15, 2020

Did Xi Jinping Deliberately Sicken the World?

A member of a Chinese honor guard wears a face mask as he stands guard on Tiananmen Square in Beijing, Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2020.
Credit: AP Photo/Mark SchiefelbeinADVERTISEMENT

We often ascribe a basic level of humanity to even the cruelest leaders, but People’s Republic of China leader Xi Jinping’s actions have forced us to rethink this assumption. Although the emergence of the novel coronavirus now known as SARS-CoV-2 was probably not due to China’s actions, the emphasis that its authoritarian system places on hiding bad news likely gave the disease a sizable head start infecting the world. But most ominously, China’s obsession with image and Machtpolitikraises serious questions about its lack of moral limits.
At some point the Chinese Communist Party learned of the epidemic and made a decision to hide its existence, hoping it went away. Exposés in Hong Kong’s South China Morning Post and the Chinese mainland’s Caixin show that the information that did flow out of China early in the crisis did so only because of the courage of individual Chinese people in the face of government repression. People in the Wuhan epicenter, however, began to get wise — and scared (here and here) — by the end of December 2019, forcing their government to say something. The authorities gave the impression of a nontransmissible disease already under containment. We know now this was entirely false, likely designed more to ease civil unrest than protect the people.
The mayor of Wuhan even suggested that the central government prevented him from revealing details about the epidemic until January 20. Considering the first public announcements came out of Wuhan on January 1, we can assume that Xi had a sense of the danger prior to that.
Clearly, downplaying the disease wasn’t working and it was time for the Party to get serious. But how serious? Would it provide full cooperation to the international community? Would being seen as the source of this virus hurt its international image? Beyond these, there was a darker dimension: the more Beijing cooperated, the less the disease stood to affect other countries. This includes countries China sees as a threat to its existence, like the United States. Why should China suffer the effects of a pandemic while others stayed safe — and increased their strength relative to China — based on China’s own costly experience?
Such a question is of course inimical to human decency. And yet we must consider that Xi Jinping has produced the greatest program of ethnic cleansingin the world today. He has curtailed freedoms in China severely and is the father of the panopticon state. His incessant military buildup threatens neighbors while using economic and other subversive means to erode the sovereignty of countries around the world. We should not assume it was beyond his imagining to withhold a degree of support from the international community to ensure that China would not suffer alone.
Strong evidence supports this idea. Hearing the World Health Organization (WHO) repeat and praise the Party line while giving short shrift to health advice until quite recently has alarmed many. Seeing Beijing sell defective wares and claim it as humanitarian aid has angered many more. Spreading disinformationduring the crisis and hinting at using life-saving goods for leverage (original here) — while denying even the faintest hint of wrongdoing — I suspect have ruined China’s reputation for some time to come. In short, China’s good offices have been reserved almost entirely for burnishing its image at the world’s expense, while calling it “the greatest kindness and good deeds.”
None of this can prove whether or when Xi made a deliberate decision to withhold information in order to imperil others. However, as a long-time student and admirer of China, it is with great sadness I must concede that such a state — and its increasingly paranoid leader — might very well provide less than full cooperation to stem the pandemic of the century in the crass pursuit of its own interests. This may constitute biological warfare. But even if it doesn’t Xi should be brought to account for his other crimes against humanity.
The views expressed in this paper represent the personal views of the author and are not necessarily the views of the Department of Defense or of the Department of the Air Force.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
Iranian Gov’t Report Says Coronavirus Death Toll 80 Percent Higher than Previously Acknowledged

Iran’s death toll from coronavirus is likely 80 percent higher than previously acknowledged, and the country’s infection rate could be eight to ten times higher than what the government has confirmed, according to an Iranian parliament report released Wednesday.

The report, written and compiled by experts for the parliament’s research arm, states that coronavirus deaths in Iran could be as high as 8,500, compared to the 4,700 confirmed as of Wednesday. The total number of infections could reach 760,000 in total, far higher than the 76,000 cases confirmed by Iran’s government.

Iran has been accused of downplaying the extent of the outbreak in the country, and even Iranian lawmakers have spoken out publicly against the regime’s handling of the crisis. The parliamentary report released Wednesday also accused government officials of refusing to provide “detailed figures” to more clearly determine the extent of the outbreak.

“The real figures are more than the official statistics but it is not correct to multiply official figures by two or three,” Deputy Health Minister Ali Reza Raisi said in response to the report. Parliament member Reza Shiran of the city of Mashhad said last week that there has “been no correct reporting on the death toll.”

The coronavirus pandemic reached Iran amid heightened tensions with the U.S. and its Middle Eastern allies, after President Trump ordered the killing of top Iranian commander Qasem Soleimani in early January. Iran-backed militias have continued to attack American forces in Iraq. But, after militias killed two American service members in early March, Trump decided against an aggressive response, reportedly believing a strike on Iran would look bad in the midst of the pandemic.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
The number will keep going if no measure is taken.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia recorded 800 new cases yesterday all were non Saudi citizens mostly illegal Bangladeshis, Burmans, and Africans. Thanks to our immigration enforcement for the mess they created in the country. If you do not want to deport them that is fine but at least fix their issues so we can keep track of them.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Saudi Arabia recorded 800 new cases yesterday all were non Saudi citizens mostly illegal Bangladeshis, Burmans, and Africans. Thanks to our immigration enforcement for the mess they created in the country. If you do not want to deport them that is fine but at least fix their issues so we can keep track of them.

Can you give me a source for this? You should also understand this virus will hit everyone and there are 10 times the number of cases with people not showing mild to severe symptoms. So it's nothing to do with migrants but based on travel/regulatory measures. Even with most extreme measures it can still spread.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Trump is getting voted out, assuming God doesn't destroy this country before 2020 elections. He is tweeting 'Liberate Michigan', 'Liberate' this and that in the middle of a pandemic and their news base doesn't stop spreading hatred, arrogance and ignorance. Our country as a whole, however, has reached deep moral corruption and our people think they are invincible and do not adhere to morals/ethics at all. They keep spreading hatred against others and among themselves. They keep living in fantasy land and think they are on top of the world and boast in an arrogant manner and live like they are not going to be held accountable for anything.

That's major denial of God and taking it even further by mocking the Lord and challenging him. And I fear he accepted this challenge and a divine punishment is right around the corner. It's too late for us and the people in this country won't change.

Others around the world should not engage in further denial of God after seeing his signs and think it is time for them to take up the role and lifestyle and mentality we Americans have been living by. They should fear God and change, and tomorrow they won't have a choice.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
Falcon my brother, I don't know what to say to you. These are terrible times, but it is not the wrath of some god, it's just what comes to us.

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
Times like this takes leadership and planning.... Trump has been a disaster no country deserves . Infact I believe he is messed up in his brain. I have never met a bigger liar, uneducated moron in my life. He makes a great country like America worse than a third world dictatorship.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
Times like this takes leadership and planning.... Trump has been a disaster no country deserves . Infact I believe he is messed up in his brain. I have never met a bigger liar, uneducated moron in my life. He makes a great country like America worse than a third world dictatorship.
What are you talking about?

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
I am talking about Trump’s response time and decision making capability and fictitious science and political claims in his daily briefings and outright lies.
remember his claim of everything is under control to heat will wipe out this virus amd then 40000 dead in six weeks ....

I worked at WoodHull hospital in Newyork. I trained there in Maxilofacial surgery department. I hear they had bodies lined up in corridors ..... made me so sad to think .

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
and yes I am agreeing with "he did wrong things" I just think he did different things wrong.To say he is responsible for the murder of 40,000 Americans is just wrong