Erdogan says Turkey to launch 'air and ground' operation in Syria | Page 8 | World Defense

Erdogan says Turkey to launch 'air and ground' operation in Syria

yavar

Reactions
84 0 0
Country
Iran
every would understand which country he is talking about because he did not mentioned any name, Putin said the country which captured oil tankers and attack oil field

Russia west Asia (middle east) policy of President Putin : Syria

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

every would understand which country he is talking about because he did not mentioned any name, Putin said the country which captured oil tankers and attack oil field

Russia west Asia (middle east) policy of President Putin : Syria

He's upset about Iran?

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Kurds losing territory fast. Some of the areas aren't densely populated and Kurdish fighters can't find cover. Some areas are and they aren't performing well. Obviously only naive people believed they are most competent fighters in the region. They are no different from Syrian army or rebels.

EGsqs0qXYAEbdUE.jpg

Aren't Arab doing the heavy lifting? I thought T-FSA was mostly Arab with some Turkmen.

Yes, that's correct.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country

^^

This could be very important moving forward. I'll keep an eye out on it.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
US forces unharmed after coming under fire in Syria
12 Oct 2019

1570910056200.png

U.S. coalition forces fire an M120 mortar round targeting a known ISIS location in southeast Syria on Sept. 10, 2018. (Sgt. Matthew Crane/U.S. Army)

U.S. special operations forces located in Syria came under fire Friday but did not sustain any casualties, the Pentagon has confirmed.

Artillery fire from Turkish positions landed “a few hundred meters” near U.S. troops in Kobani, Syria, according to a statement late Friday night from Navy Capt. Brook DeWalt, Director of Defense Press Operations at the Pentagon.

The area was “known by the Turks to have U.S. forces present,” DeWalt said. “All U.S. troops are accounted for with no injuries. U.S. Forces have not withdrawn from Kobani.

Turkey this week began an offensive into Syria to strike against Kurdish groups Ankara sees as terrorist organizations, but which the U.S. has trained and equipped to lead the fight against the Islamic State organization.

“The United States remains opposed to the Turkish military move into Syria and especially objects to Turkish operations outside the Security Mechanism zone and in areas where the Turks know U.S. forces are present,” DeWalt added. “The U.S. demands that Turkey avoid actions that could result in immediate defensive action.”

News of the strike was first reported by Newsweek. A senior U.S. official said that describing the strike as an attack on U.S. service members would be "not accurate. The official added that there has been no military activity in the area since the explosion.

For its part, the government of Turkey claims that the incident occurred when a Kurdish outpost, roughly 1,000 meters south of the American outpost, launched mortars at Turkish forces, located north of the Americans. Turkey returned fire, with the American forces caught in the middle. Per the government statement, Turkish forces stopped firing when contacted by the Americans.

Turkish Defense Ministry says, the YPG/PKK post 1000 m south of the US posts targeted Turkish posts in Suruç and in response Turkey fired back at the militant group post. And took precautions to avoid US post. After the US call artillery fire ceased. Here is the approximate map pic.twitter.com/JB8KnrgGFD
— Kasım İleri (@kasimileri_) October 11, 2019

The news comes mere hours after Secretary of Defense Mark Esper and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Mark Milley said they have communicated with Turkey in great detail to avoid U.S. casualties as a result of the Turkish offensive.

“The Turkish military is fully aware, down to explicit grid coordinate detail, of the locations of U.S.,” Milley said. “And everyone has been told — throughout Syria and in the zone of incursion — and everyone is fully aware that we are the United States military, we retain the right to self-defense. And our soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines will defend themselves. That’s clear, and its unambiguous with everybody.”

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
@Khafee @Signalian @Cookie Monster @Mangus Ortus Novem @Philip the Arab @AliYusuf @Caprxl Since the failed coup attempt, Turkey or more specifically Erdogan has been playing aggresively with it's former / Ex-to be Allies such as US, EU. Do you people consider this act of sovereignty & honour protection by Turkey a wise or foolish act? Turkey has a very important strategic location and is considered a bridge between east and west (East and west here implying the Soviet-China-Pak-CA WHILE west implying NATO). Could they have played better in different areas to at least still have vast access to western tech since now Turkey is not trusted much in that regard. I have a feeling that Turkey is right and wrong, latter being more?

Mingle

Reactions
1,813 8 0
Country
Pakistan
Germany bans exports of arms to Turkey: Bild Am Sonntag

OCTOBER 12, 2019

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Germany has banned arms exports to Turkey as a reaction to the country’s assault on the Kurdish YPG militia in northern Syria, German weekly Bild Am Sonntag (Bams) quoted the foreign minister as saying on Saturday.

“Against the backdrop of the Turkish military offensive in north-eastern Syria, the Federal Government will not issue any new permits for all military equipment that could be used by Turkey in Syria”, Foreign Minister Heiko Maas told the paper.

Germany exported arms worth 243 million euros ($268 million) to Turkey in 2018, accounting for almost one third of all German weapons exports, according to the paper.

Will / Can this development make case in favour of Pakistan i.e PAF again ?? I think being a main Partner in Eurofighter Program all the founding countries have a say.

@Khafee you thoughts ?
What Germany was selling them??? When turkey make 90% products at home?? It's nothing but a hogwash thing never believe and follow these statements

Reactions
112 10 0
Country
Jordan
What Germany was selling them??? When turkey make 90% products at home?? It's nothing but a hogwash thing never believe and follow these statements
Spare parts for Leopards which are needed? Say goodbye to Leopards in Syria without Germany.

Cookie Monster

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,568 76 0
Country
USA
@Khafee @Signalian @Cookie Monster @Mangus Ortus Novem @Philip the Arab @AliYusuf @Caprxl Since the failed coup attempt, Turkey or more specifically Erdogan has been playing aggresively with it's former / Ex-to be Allies such as US, EU. Do you people consider this act of sovereignty & honour protection by Turkey a wise or foolish act? Turkey has a very important strategic location and is considered a bridge between east and west (East and west here implying the Soviet-China-Pak-CA WHILE west implying NATO). Could they have played better in different areas to at least still have vast access to western tech since now Turkey is not trusted much in that regard. I have a feeling that Turkey is right and wrong, latter being more?
IMO I don't think it has anything to do with US or NATO or other allies. I don't think it has anything to do with Erdogan personally either. It is simply that...with the US exiting Syria and ending support to the Kurds militia...Turkey sees its chance to neutralize them.

Before...the situation would've gotten murky...bcuz US troops were there...and despite the recent ups and downs Turkey wouldn't want to wage war against US. But with US out of the way, Turkey can take action against the Kurds. The reason why Turkey is taking an action against them is bcuz Kurds have had a separatist agenda. If these armed Kurdish groups are left unchecked...or worse...if they come to power in Syria somehow that would potentially create problems for Turkey.

Of course US wouldn't want Turkey taking action against them bcuz they serve as part of an opposing force in Syria. It's just each nation operating according to its own interests.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
The Turks have been hoarding F16 parts for a while now, I am sure they did the same with any other spares that they import, this incursion is something they have been planning for a while, and the fallout.

as far as whether this is a good idea for Turkey, I doubt it, but it makes Erdogan look strong again, and maybe that's all he needs. But if allowed, this will turn into a land grab and they will find reason to keep pushing farther.

Reactions
112 10 0
Country
Jordan
The Turks have been hoarding F16 parts for a while now, I am sure they did the same with any other spares that they import, this incursion is something they have been planning for a while, and the fallout.

as far as whether this is a good idea for Turkey, I doubt it, but it makes Erdogan look strong again, and maybe that's all he needs
How is it not a good idea? Bayraktars and Anka alone armed with ATGMs would offer great CAS for FSA, and Turkish army even without F-16s. If Turkey can let 3 million Syrian refugees back to their lands I'm all for it.