How about all sending all US soldiers home? | World Defense

How about all sending all US soldiers home?

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Send all the US soldiers home. Withdraw from all the countries they are involved in now. Stop fighting other peeple's wars. Go home. Stay home. Look after their own home.

How about that?

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
The US still have some imperialistic ambitions therefor, such thing won't happen anytime soon.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
They do seem to be fighting other peoples wars don't they. I wish that it was as simple as just sending them home but when does politics ever make sense?

sillylucy

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
If only this would happen! It would cut our defense budget and we would save so much money and so many lives. I don't know why we must meddle in the affairs of other countries. It just doesn't seem like a viable option right now though. War creates jobs and generates more money.

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
War creates jobs and generates more money.

There are lots of ways to create jobs and generate more money. China and India didn't have to send their soldiers to fight in other peoples' wars. Yet their economies are growing.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
The US still have some imperialistic ambitions therefor, such thing won't happen anytime soon.
I agree I don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon. It's much deeper then what appears. The US doesn't have control and that's why their still in Iraq. War is big business for the weapons market, for construction, and of course the commodities markets (just to name a few.)

ally79

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 1
Country
USA
There are many Americans who agree with your sentiments, but I sincerely doubt that it will ever happen. There is too much money to be made with the war machine. Beyond just the military there is tons of money being made by government contractors and those are the people who make the big campaign donations that get the politicians elected and re-elected.

Dez97

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
USA
I completely agree, America needs to come to a place in where they don't put themselves into other countries affairs,and if we think about in the past we will see that it has always just been America that caused many of the wars we have partaken in. For the simply fact of wanting to be the motherland of all other countries.

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
Well, 2015 is a presidential election year in the US, isn't it? Let's see if there is anyone who is going to run for President on the platform of "Bring our boys home" or something similar.

ally79

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 1
Country
USA
Well, 2015 is a presidential election year in the US, isn't it? Let's see if there is anyone who is going to run for President on the platform of "Bring our boys home" or something similar.

I think that it is more likely we will see someone run on the platform of trying to defeat ISIS and the Taliban, particularly if Jeb Bush becomes a real contender. I just hope that we don't find ourselves in another cold war situation with Russia, although that one seems like it is already in the mail for the most part.

That_Dale_Guy

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I completely agree, America needs to come to a place in where they don't put themselves into other countries affairs,and if we think about in the past we will see that it has always just been America that caused many of the wars we have partaken in. For the simply fact of wanting to be the motherland of all other countries.

Through out history and speaking as a former member if the US military, the US has always held the "hit them back first" Mentality. Because of the constant deployment of US service me in theory many believe it is what keeps wars/conflicts from taking place on US soil. It may not be the right policy but is seems to work. I believe many times the us is asked to enter in other countries affairs.

ally79

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 1
Country
USA
Through out history and speaking as a former member if the US military, the US has always held the "hit them back first" Mentality. Because of the constant deployment of US service me in theory many believe it is what keeps wars/conflicts from taking place on US soil. It may not be the right policy but is seems to work. I believe many times the us is asked to enter in other countries affairs.

You make a good point with what you said about keeping it off of American soil and as far as that goes it seems to be working. I know that we are often asked to step in and help as well. It's funny, people complain that we butt in too much but when we don't they complain about that too.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
What you suggest would be a 180 degree reversal from a highly interventionist, imperialistic worldview to isolationism/non-interventionism. It would require a complete restructuring of the intellectual elite who decide the finer points of foreign policy. And it would possibly be the first time in history that a superpower decided not to project its military and political power. Not to mention the dismantling of countless US military bases located around the world, which help to cement their influence.

You're asking a lot from a president and the democratic system.

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
You're asking a lot from a president and the democratic system.

Is it really too much to ask? What is the first duty of the POTUS? To take care of the US or to take care of other people? I truly believe the US must take priority over any other country and US citizens must take priority over citizens of other countries. As for fighting in other lands so that we don't have to fight in the US, I seriously doubt if an enemy can land undetected on US soil.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
Is it really too much to ask? What is the first duty of the POTUS? To take care of the US or to take care of other people? I truly believe the US must take priority over any other country and US citizens must take priority over citizens of other countries. As for fighting in other lands so that we don't have to fight in the US, I seriously doubt if an enemy can land undetected on US soil.

It's not too much to ask. Often, when the American public are polled for their opinions on military intervention in other countries, a clear majority is strongly against it. Even on the internet, this forum isn't unique in its anti-war point of view. It's only a vocal and jingoistic minority that supports it. Yet they are often given much more media attention. And even more confusing is the fact that the US decides to intervene anyway.

What does it mean when public opinion is not represented by the government's actions? The democratic machinery is in shambles in most countries, the US is in some ways a relatively better case, but the people still have limited power in deciding on war and foreign policy.