JF-17 related news. | Page 21 | World Defense

JF-17 related news.

Safri167

Reactions
1,194 24 0
Country
Pakistan
JF 31 has Chinese engine now. The other jet which uses same engine as JF 17 is MIG 35. J 31 as of now has two prototypes and 2nd and latest prototype now has Chinese engine
So we will use different engines on Jf 17 and JF 31?

Cookie Monster

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,568 76 0
Country
USA
In this regard I want to add that messiach told me on another forum that if I want to know about the Azm I should look at the block 3...
I don't doubt Ms. Messiach...
...but when the JF17 was conceptualized in its design phase...a 5th gen stealth plane was nowhere in sights of PAF or the Chinese for that matter. It was designed as a lightweight fighter to replace legacy fighters(like F7) in PAF...while also kickstarting some local capabilities to wean PAF(and Pak) off of foreign dependence. In that regard JF17 has been very successful...it is so much more capable than the F7s it is meant to replace...it is modular and can be upgraded to be a 4+ gen fighter...and it has given Pak's local capabilities a boost. However its design can only go so far...all nations that are building a 5th gen...are going back to or have gone back to the drawing board for a 5th gen design. The only example of advancing a 4th gen design into somewhat of a 5th gen would be the F15 Silent Eagle but that is a half baked attempt at 5th gen.

Even in that case...if JF17 was to follow something like F15 Silent eagle kind of path...it would struggle. F15 is big enough to accommodate things like added weapon's bay. JF17 is a light weight...and can't accommodate such addons without making compromises of the types and quantity of arms(missiles and bombs) it carries...which would very much defeat the purpose. Perhaps in terms of avionics, radar, engine, and munitions...Azm NGF can draw on JF17 project...but in terms of the design of JF17...it has reached it's limit with JF17 Block III. Any further development would be to modernize the internal avionics, radar, and munitions to keep up with the times...but it will not be able to have stealth in the same way as a true 5th gen aircraft would.

Armchair

Reactions
1,577 56 0
Country
Bangladesh
I don't doubt Ms. Messiach...
...but when the JF17 was conceptualized in its design phase...a 5th gen stealth plane was nowhere in sights of PAF or the Chinese for that matter. It was designed as a lightweight fighter to replace legacy fighters(like F7) in PAF...while also kickstarting some local capabilities to wean PAF(and Pak) off of foreign dependence. In that regard JF17 has been very successful...it is so much more capable than the F7s it is meant to replace...it is modular and can be upgraded to be a 4+ gen fighter...and it has given Pak's local capabilities a boost. However its design can only go so far...all nations that are building a 5th gen...are going back to or have gone back to the drawing board for a 5th gen design. The only example of advancing a 4th gen design into somewhat of a 5th gen would be the F15 Silent Eagle but that is a half baked attempt at 5th gen.

Even in that case...if JF17 was to follow something like F15 Silent eagle kind of path...it would struggle. F15 is big enough to accommodate things like added weapon's bay. JF17 is a light weight...and can't accommodate such addons without making compromises of the types and quantity of arms(missiles and bombs) it carries...which would very much defeat the purpose. Perhaps in terms of avionics, radar, engine, and munitions...Azm NGF can draw on JF17 project...but in terms of the design of JF17...it has reached it's limit with JF17 Block III. Any further development would be to modernize the internal avionics, radar, and munitions to keep up with the times...but it will not be able to have stealth in the same way as a true 5th gen aircraft would.

I personally feel it is the easiest aircraft to develop - based on the JF-17 sub systems. For instance, with the Block 3, you basically have a GaN AESA radar, EW and data fusion - systems are up to par with 5th generation conception. All you need is a new airframe and a larger and more powerful engine.

You could have a conventional design with LERX, but a larger and stealthier airframe. Power could be provided by a single WS-10 / WS-15 - which has significantly greater thrust than the RD-93 - in fact in a class of its own in comparison. Two PL-15s could be kept in a very small internal carriage, or could be semi recessed (half of the body inside the airframe and some of the fins sticking out).

It's quite a simple and straight forward development. Or so I would say.

Armchair

Reactions
1,577 56 0
Country
Bangladesh
Why FC 31 can not be considered a logical evolution of JF 17?

J-31 is essentially a copy paste of an F-35 on a twin engine format. That is why - and also, it is a Chinese design. If anything is to be believed from messiach and from the CAS > Azm is designed in Pakistan - not a Chinese aircraft with a Pak flag stamped in.

Ghessan

Reactions
242 7 0
Country
Pakistan
J-31 is essentially a copy paste of an F-35 on a twin engine format. That is why - and also, it is a Chinese design. If anything is to be believed from messiach and from the CAS > Azm is designed in Pakistan - not a Chinese aircraft with a Pak flag stamped in.

out of this discussion is, where is messiach, anybody?

never heard since 2018 probably OR am i out of picture...

Safri167

Reactions
1,194 24 0
Country
Pakistan
微信图片_20200709204641.jpg
Shared on other forum by LKJ86.
Can someone comment on it?
@TomCat @Zarvan @Armchair @Gripen9

Last edited:

Safri167

Reactions
1,194 24 0
Country
Pakistan
The jet is an old block 2.
You can tell by the landing gear lights which are LED on Block 3.

What the engineers are discussing here is what we won't know.
What about tail? Isn't it slanted backwards?
Beside the staff is wearing face masks, so the pic is recent?

Mechanic

Reactions
308 2 0
Country
Pakistan
What about tail? Isn't it slanted backwards?
Beside the staff is wearing face masks, so the pic is recent?
Probably there for Overhaul or testing LFK-601E on older models since olders blocks were supposed to be upgraded side by side Block 3 but seems unlikely , Plane is definitely older Block , judging by the landing gear light and awful paint condition , probably Block 1

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
I was thinking about this new Russian engine news. I am little suspicious of this offer.
It will be very stupid of us to consider this engine so late in the project as any new equipment change especially engines will completely throw off JF17 induction time line.
It's not easy easy to simply switch engines. Integration, testing, retooling, training and maintenance facilities will take months if not years.
I personally suspect the timing of this announcement. It is almost as if India agreed to let Russians offer this engine because they know Pakistanis will be tempted and it will significantly delay the arrival of Block 3.