Libyan conflict news and discussion

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

^^

Bad look on whoever this faction this. These guys are more like nationalists and not really sincere Muslims. The sincere Muslims haven't shown up yet.

Doritos11

Reactions
28 2 0
Country
Iraq
Egypt should invade Libya and Arabize it all, we shouldn't let non-Arab actors spread their influence in Libya.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Egypt should invade Libya and Arabize it all, we shouldn't let non-Arab actors spread their influence in Libya.

Erdogan is bringing Syrian mercenaries into Libya. Looks like another Syria is about to take place.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
This conflict has taken a weird turn, I'm not sure what the plan is for either side now. I'm not seeing anything good coming out of it going forward.

Indos

Reactions
87 5 0
Country
Indonesia
This conflict has taken a weird turn, I'm not sure what the plan is for either side now. I'm not seeing anything good coming out of it going forward.

The conflict outcome will inshaAllah change dramatically if Turkish parliament approve the troop deployment there. If Turkish can send at least 15.000 soldiers I bet they can finish the job and capture Haftar.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
Have they sent any Turkish soldiers? I only see them sending Syrian mercenaries

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
The conflict outcome will inshaAllah change dramatically if Turkish parliament approve the troop deployment there. If Turkish can send at least 15.000 soldiers I bet they can finish the job and capture Haftar.

Well the thing is if Turkey does send troops then Egypt and Turkey will end up in a fight against each other which I don't want to happen. My opinion about Haftar is known but I also don't know if the other guys are fit to rule Libya. I feel like Libyans would be better off without both of them.

I do not believe Turkey will send troops and it is a little too late to send them. They would have to replicate Russian example in Syria which would I don't think they can afford as they don't have the deterrence that comes with being a superpower.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Have they sent any Turkish soldiers? I only see them sending Syrian mercenaries

They will discuss it later this week so nothing yet, but troops/advisers alone will not be sufficient even for defending Tripoli alone. They would need to establish an air base or a few and showcase ability to provide air support on sustained basis if they really want to turn situation around.

Only reason I can think they would do so is for the maritime agreement with Libya and they would have to be deployed long term like how Russia is with Syria. I just don't think Turkish economy and military can sustain that like Russia can. It will be hard to gain support for such a move.

Indos

Reactions
87 5 0
Country
Indonesia
Well the thing is if Turkey does send troops then Egypt and Turkey will end up in a fight against each other which I don't want to happen. My opinion about Haftar is known but I also don't know if the other guys are fit to rule Libya. I feel like Libyans would be better off without both of them.

I do not believe Turkey will send troops and it is a little too late to send them. They would have to replicate Russian example in Syria which would I don't think they can afford as they don't have the deterrence that comes with being a superpower.

I dont think Egypt will fight Turkey in Libya.

Indos

Reactions
87 5 0
Country
Indonesia
Russia already has its mercenaries there, I doubt Turkey would face off with them with Turkish soldiers

Those are mercenaries, not Russian soldiers. I dont think Turkey is afraid of that. Erdogan has already known about many Russian mercenaries operating in Libya before he decided to send troops there by asking permission to Turkish parliament formally. If he doesnt want to send troops and fight Haftar, he will just stop his move after signing a military deal with GNA. The fact that he asked GNA whether there is a request from them to have Turkish soldiers deployment in Libya show his seriousness. He will not ask that if he doesnt have any intention to send troops there, and he will not ask parliament permission if he is not serious about that plan.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
What I am getting at, is he is sending mercenaries there, that's the troops he is sending, I doubt he will send Turkish ground forces for open combat. Maybe as advisers, but not to take part in open conflict, but of course I could be wrong, Turkey is building a drone base there right now.

Prince

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
San Marino
For what I've understood at the moment Turkey have just send some advisers and a token mercenary force.

I don't think that Erdogan will seriously commit himself in Lybia, it is just an act of propaganda (mainly for internal consumption imho). He does not have the resources to invest in a full proxy war against Egypt in Lybia. In order to be successful Turkey would have to project its forces, establishing air bases there, just as the russians did in Syria.
And at the moment I think they lack the resources and the political will to a full scale commitment; let's not forget that Turkey is still entangled in northern Syria, where they would have to remain until a suitable solution is worked out with Damascus and Moscow.

Last edited: