Lockheed Martin (LM) CSC Type 26 Frigate Design | Page 3 | World Defense

Lockheed Martin (LM) CSC Type 26 Frigate Design

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Let me ask, why does the PN need nuclear submarines? Nuke subs are for nations that need to cross oceans to get their subs to their patrol area, I don't see the need for PN
Unfortunately we have to keep up with the joneses. Need to have a reliable second strike capability vis a vis India.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
Unfortunately we have to keep up with the joneses. Need to have a reliable second strike capability vis a vis India.
You don't need nuke subs to strike your neighbor, like I said before, nuke subs are the way to go if you have to cross the Atlantic or Pacific with speed and endurance to just get to your patrol area (then of course you need to patrol for a month or more) that's why someone would need a nuke sub

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
You don't need nuke subs to strike your neighbor, like I said before, nuke subs are the way to go if you have to cross the Atlantic or Pacific with speed and endurance to just get to your patrol area (then of course you need to patrol for a month or more) that's why someone would need a nuke sub
Pakistan unfortunately does not have the geographical depth. Your ground and air components may get wiped out in first strike, so need nuclear armed subs as part of the triad. It think it may more be an SSGN that can stay on station for long period of times.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
Pakistan unfortunately does not have the geographical depth. Your ground and air components may get wiped out in first strike, so need nuclear armed subs as part of the triad. It think it may more be an SSGN that can stay on station for long period of times.
not saying you don't need nuclear armed subs, they were talking about nuclear powered subs, I just don't think they are necessary

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
not saying you don't need nuclear armed subs, they were talking about nuclear powered subs, I just don't think they are necessary
We'll see. Not high on the requirement. Could be a "lease" from china of Type 93 3-4 years down the road.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Let me ask, why does the PN need nuclear submarines? Nuke subs are for nations that need to cross oceans to get their subs to their patrol area, I don't see the need for PN
Should we let PN of your displeasure, or will you do it yourself?

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0

1596069898300.png

1596070321600.png

1596070592300.png

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Some of the OHIO class SSBN were converted like this.
For new subs, the option I think will be there to either have an SLBM, or a CM capsule fitted with 6~7 CM's

1596070946900.png

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada
Hi mtime7. I think that is a great question! Why indeed! I believe PN would do extremely well with a modern large AIP attack submarine. Both Japan with its Soyus class and France with its Barracuda Block 1A class both offer great "ocean-going" options for PN that can stand up to any sub threats. Perhaps a fleet of at least 12 of them. Something Canada may seriously consider as well for our Victoria class replacements. In My Opinion (IMO), PN does not need the "nuc" option visa-vie India. If PN wants to start an arms race with India (which would be a mistake for all), it would be much easier to have a bigger "land-based" nuclear option to counter the Indian threat. This reminds me so much of the US/Soviet cold war race years ago. Thank goodness that is over!.....for now. I believe this conversation should be addressed on the Submarine thread as well and not here. Cheers!

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
Hi mtime7. I think that is a great question! Why indeed! I believe PN would do extremely well with a modern large AIP attack submarine. Both Japan with its Soyus class and France with its Barracuda Block 1A class both offer great "ocean-going" options for PN that can stand up to any sub threats. Perhaps a fleet of at least 12 of them. Something Canada may seriously consider as well for our Victoria class replacements. In My Opinion (IMO), PN does not need the "nuc" option visa-vie India. If PN wants to start an arms race with India (which would be a mistake for all), it would be much easier to have a bigger "land-based" nuclear option to counter the Indian threat. This reminds me so much of the US/Soviet cold war race years ago. Thank goodness that is over!.....for now. I believe this conversation should be addressed on the Submarine thread as well and not here. Cheers!
AIP subs are quieter also, they are a better option and less costly

MIRauf

Reactions
242 8 0
Country
USA
AIP allows you stay submerged longer but you will deplete your AIP halfway down to Mumbai coast, plus it will take you 3 odd weeks, unless you snorkel to recharge batteries and take chance with giving away your location.

So AIP sub be better off staying in your own littoral waters and but then taking a chance with intercept of missile from that kind of range.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
AIP allows you stay submerged longer but you will deplete your AIP halfway down to Mumbai coast, plus it will take you 3 odd weeks, unless you snorkel to recharge batteries and take chance with giving away your location.

So AIP sub be better off staying in your own littoral waters and but then taking a chance with intercept of missile from that kind of range.
Knowing that you have nuclear armed subs out on patrol, should be deterrent enough

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada

Hi MIRauf. Japan's Lithium Ion Batteries (LIBs) they are using in their Soyus class today are much superior to any sub design out there and the Japanese are constantly upgrading their LIBs of which they are the best in the world at this technology. These are "ocean-going" large submarines that will soon be able to stay submerged for weeks before "snorkling" as you say with speeds up to 20+kts submerged. Not bad for a 4000+ tonne sub! Again, I believe we should be having these discussions on the Submarine thread. Cheers!

Last edited: