North & South Korea News, Updates & Discussions | Page 2 | World Defense

North & South Korea News, Updates & Discussions

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
I will take this revelation with a grain of salt. We all should know by now how the North Korean Leader operates, he likes to beat his chest to let people know that he is there. I really don't believe he would, without provocation, launch an attack on Sout Korea, especially since he would hardly have the backing of China and Russia in this instance.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
"He wasn't authorized to speak with media on the briefing ...."

Yes he was, lol.

This coincides with recent developments in the South China Sea. US is being more aggressive there. China is trying to assert itself more aggressively as well with recent deployment of anti-air missiles. So China is using the Korean card as a leverage here.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Well, I think it is just a scare-tactic by the North. Military preparations can always be tracked via satellite. If they were moving equipment or weapons or doing anything suspicious, we'd know about it and the news would be all over the news. But, since its not, I would say, its just a false alarm created by the north. It's like when you whisper a false rumor into the ears of the most gossippy guy at work, you know that he's going to sing to the whole world and so you let him. That is what's happening here.

Valois1790

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
I think Sun Tzu said something about this very kind of situation.

But I'm sure Mr. Jong-Un never read it, carrying on like that.

When are things finally gonna come to a head with this family?

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
North Korea is adept at brinkmanship and has been threatening war over the years. Their political establishment has a vested interest of self preservation. Outright war with the south has the capacity to rattle the status quo and give room for an armed insurrection and instability on their doorstep. Add nuclear weapons into the equation and the doctrine of mutually assured destruction applies.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Upon the request of Russia, the UN Security Council decision on the sanction on North Korea will be voted upon today, Wednesday. The sanction would include mandatory inspections of cargo to and from North Korea. The move is an effect of North Korea’s nuclear test and launch of rocket. The US and China have been negotiating for the sanction since 7 weeks ago.

Read more:UN to vote Wednesday on new North Korea sanctions | Inquirer News

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
What else to sanction NK for? They are under sanctions already.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
Overreacting in my opinion.
What I do not understand is, why some countries such as Japan so eager to make itself onto the enemy list of North Korea? South Korea is the priority of North Korea, not Japan. North Korea's aim is never Japan.

North Korea has no history of invading anyone, or attacking anyone. Yes, it is dictatorship and its people are living under extreme poverty and even starve to death sometimes, but their external foreign policy is not aggressive excluding South Korea which was really one country with them.

The mass media keeps making it out that NK wants to destroy everyone or something crazy like that. Only fools will believe it.
Their nuke is to ensure they will not be attacked by someone like the U.S. I guess after Iraq, Libya, etc. Nobody on the enemy list of the US (put there by the US) feels safe without getting the nukes.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
On my second thought, I think Japan under Abe is trying to use every chance/excuse they get to achieve their goal of "rearming" Japan.

Don't be fooled by the term "self-defense force" of Japan. It has a bigger military budget than UK, and it has more personnel than UK. Its navy for example has over 40 advanced destroyers and frigates which actually has a higher overall power rating than China at this point. Yet the nationalist Abe wants a bigger military, a "normal" military. So he must seize any opportunity as excuse to achieve his goal. "Threat" from South China Sea disputes, "threat" from North Korean nuke test, etc. are perfect excuses for his taste.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
North Korea fired short-range ballistic missiles into the sea as a response to South Korean unilateral sanctions. It is a show of defiance and even vowed to liquidate all remaining South Korean assets in the North. The standoff started in January when North Korea detonated its 4th nuclear test. For their part, South Korea had shut down the last remaining cooperative project between them and the North.

Read more:N. Korea to “liquidate” S. Korea assets, fires missiles into sea | Inquirer News

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
Just some more drama. There is so much of it in the global space at the moment: North Korea vs South Korea, China vs a number of Asian countries, Iran vs Israel, Iran vs Saudi Arabia, and the list could go on and on. I hope that these confrontations will remain at the just-drama level and do not escalate into any serious action. Yes, I think we can live with that.

QuikGeneral

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Yes, I have to agree with Explorerx7. It's just more drama from a fat little rich kid. They are trying to test the limits of what they can do. It's to the point their big brother, China, is talking with the US about what to do with North Korea. It's only a matter of time before North Korea either shuts up or is invaded.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
If it happens to see signs that American and South Korean troops are attempting to invade North Korea then the North's military is ready to pre-emptively attack and "liberate" the South. That statement is an outburst over the drills that the U.S. and South Korea say are defensive and routine. North Korea warned of an indiscriminate "pre-emptive nuclear strike of justice" on Washington and Seoul.

For details - North Korea warns of pre-emptive strikes against the South | World, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Whenever I read a story like this, I wonder if there are actually any people within North Korea who feel comforted and protected by the government. Judging from how different people are here in the U.S., and how differently they interpret the same actions, I have to presume that there are some North Koreans who actually believe the bluster, and think that the U.S. and/or South Korea wants to invade and kill or enslave them all.

I'm not one to meddle in other countries for the most part, but after seeing at least one documentary on North Korea and seeing stories like this over and over, it seems many inside of the country would like to be freed, and in my opinion, everyone has a right to live freely. I wish North Korea would just open up to the rest of the world and let those who want to leave, leave, and work on creating a country that serves the people, not the government.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
They have been saying that for decades. Nothing other than a few short conflict on small scales had happened. Fat Kim knows very well if he start a war right now, he will 100% lose and it is committing suicide for his Kim Dynasty. Even without US support, South Korea will prevail against North Korea with their much more advanced weapons and training. The only threat North Korea can pose is the a few nukes they have and the massive numbers of artillery they have installed along the border, which can only do damage at the beginning of the war.

Basically I see Kim is just making pointless threat to make himself look tough in the eyes of his own people. It will be all bark without action.