North & South Korea News, Updates & Discussions | Page 3 | World Defense

North & South Korea News, Updates & Discussions

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
How many times have we heard this before? The president of North Korea does this very regularly. He loves to portray the "bad boy image." He makes these threats then his rhetoric cools down and soon after he is at it again. I think it's full-time Russia and China, North Koreas closest allies, should advise the North Korean president to calm down.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
I just read someplace that North Korea just "claimed" that an H-bomb could wipe out Manhattan. I mean, aren't they going a little too far with their threats here? And they are armed and dangerous which means that they are a tangible threat unlike most countries in the middle east that have been propped up as the cradles of all evil.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
North Korea are all bark and no bite as far as I'm concerned, as this ist the first time they've threatened to wipe out one nation or another, but we're still waiting for them to even fire one shot in anger against anyone.

I'm not saying that he's not mad enough to do it, because I genuinely think he is, I'm just not sure he actually as the capabilities he says they do.

arthnel

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
That short, little fat wanna be guy is just a replica of his his dear old dead father. Both in my book are nothing but empty barrels. They go to extremes with propaganda to bolster their silly dynasty and even the people of the Republic know that. That silly, young Kim fella only serves the purpose of destabilization of the region. Poor thing. He's just baseless.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Another scare tactics of the North Korean leader Kim Jong Un? He said that they will soon conduct a nuclear warhead explosion test and test-launch rockets capable of carrying atomic warheads. The warning is in reaction to the ongoing military drills between Seoul and Washington. The statement was issued while guiding a successful simulated test of a re-entry vehicle.

For details - N. Korea's Kim warns of impending nuclear and rocket tests | World, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
I think they should actually talk to Kim Jong Un instead of portraying him as a super villain. I mean does the west even know what they really want? We see CNN, BBC, and all trying to portray North Korea as a nice place with their recent reports, and yet, they seem to be saying that somehow the country is still bad. It can't be both.

They need to talk to the country because it's not going to help anyone should one of those test rockets accidentally land in the wrong place with something more than a test payload on it.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Kim Jong Un is not a supervillain but as a leader responsible for the well-being of around 25 million North Koreans, he should get his priorities straight. By launching missiles and rockets with questionable quality just to provoke neighboring countries and show off his country's premature strength despite the fact that a great number of its citizens are starving to death, he isn't doing justice to the position he's given. In fact, he is wasting his people's taxes.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Yeah. He should act responsibly. I actually think that he should let the world learn more about his country. There is such a blackout when it comes to information that anyone can say anything about North Korea and people would believe it.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
While I've never been to North Korea (obviously) as a country itself I'm sure it has got a lot going for it but like you say, who's to know?

All we do know for a fact is that they've got a leader who has more than once threatened to wage destruction on the west and all we stand for, so of course we're going to be wary of him.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I of course have the perspective of an American, and I tend to believe in open and full disclosure in most things, although of course that doesn't work with regard to military strength and tactics. It's difficult to try to put myself in Kim Jong Un's position, but I would imagine he grew up very differently, and was taught that the United States and other free countries are out to get North Korea and end the rule of his family.

He may actually believe that we want to go in and steal natural resources, take over the country, etc., but regardless of what he's been taught, it's time to stand up and try to take an objective look around. He is responsible for the lives of many, and if indeed there is a prevalence of hunger, lack of medical care, etc., he should be open minded enough to seek out solutions for those problems. I agree that there are better ways in which to spend the country's budget than doing things that could potentially provoke military intervention.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Just days after their leader Kim Jong Un ordered tests of missiles, North Korea fired a ballistic missile into the sea aimed at developing technology needed to build a reliable missile capable of reaching the US mainland. The missile flew 800 kilometers (500 miles) before crashing off the North’s east coast, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said.

Read more:Seoul: North Korea fires ballistic missile into sea | Inquirer News

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I of course have the perspective of an American, and I tend to believe in open and full disclosure in most things, although of course that doesn't work with regard to military strength and tactics. It's difficult to try to put myself in Kim Jong Un's position, but I would imagine he grew up very differently, and was taught that the United States and other free countries are out to get North Korea and end the rule of his family.

He may actually believe that we want to go in and steal natural resources, take over the country, etc., but regardless of what he's been taught, it's time to stand up and try to take an objective look around. He is responsible for the lives of many, and if indeed there is a prevalence of hunger, lack of medical care, etc., he should be open minded enough to seek out solutions for those problems. I agree that there are better ways in which to spend the country's budget than doing things that could potentially provoke military intervention.

I think your presuming that he's a sane and well balanced individual, with the morals and integrity of most people thought, and if that was the case then there's no doubt that he would only do what's best for the people of his country.

Sadly though I think he's proven that he doesn't have those qualities, and will choose to do what's best for himself. Then again he's an oppressive dictator so he's just living up to that job description!

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I think your presuming that he's a sane and well balanced individual, with the morals and integrity of most people thought, and if that was the case then there's no doubt that he would only do what's best for the people of his country.

Sadly though I think he's proven that he doesn't have those qualities, and will choose to do what's best for himself. Then again he's an oppressive dictator so he's just living up to that job description!

When I heard he was taking over, I had hoped that his youth would work favorably to open the country up to the rest of the world, at least somewhat, and to decrease the military activities. It does appear that he was well-trained and propagandized, and has taken those lessons to heart. Hopefully he won't push too far, and create a mess we'll all have to deal with for many years to come.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Yes, in some respects war is business. It certainly results in huge profits for certain segments of the economy such as those designing and crafting weaponry and clerical and logistical support. In addition, war also provides gainful (although not well-paying in many cases) employment for those in the military. We're in a poor state right now here in the United States, and many are unemployed or underemployed. There's no way the economy could sustain everyone if many weren't being paid by the government via the military.

Perhaps the North Korean government is using these rocket launches to keep the people distracted from their living conditions, grateful to the government for protecting them (those who actually believe that), and keep them from rising up. I can't imagine it's pleasant to live there. I posted elsewhere here in the past about a PBS Frontline documentary on North Korea, and the living conditions seem harsh, and at least some are aware that they are not being told the truth about the outside world. Here's a link to the documentary in case anyone would like to watch it: Secret State of North Korea | FRONTLINE | PBS

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
North Korea again showed its antics by firing two medium-range ballistic missiles, the latest in a string of provocative acts from the reclusive regime. The UN security council condemned that test-firing as a clear violation of UN Security Council resolutions. The latest missile launches underscored the importance of implementing the new sanctions resolution US Ambassador Samantha Power said.

“If anybody on the council needed a reminder of why that resolution is so important (…) the North Korean regime just provided another one,” Power said.

Read more at UN condemns North Korea’s ‘unacceptable’ missile tests | mb.com.ph | Philippine News