North & South Korea News, Updates & Discussions | Page 6 | World Defense

North & South Korea News, Updates & Discussions

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It is temporary while some sort of high level meetings are going on.
But if everyone love the supreme leader, why does he feel the need to add to security by banning these things?
I think this could be a good indication of the atmospehere there....

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
It sounds very much uncalled for. I mean why? How is something like this connected with anything else that he is going to participate in? Somebody said something about some meetings. Please explain it to me because I have no idea what meeting are we talking about and why are they affected by somebody getting married or getting buried? The first one you can actually control but what can you do if you die. It is not usually your own choice. They have to wait while the ban is on?

lindbergh

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Philippines
The dude is a total lunatic. He doesn't care about his people. All he cares about is himself and probably a little bit about the welfare of his cronies. He is delusional too and thinks that he can go toe to toe with the world powers.

I think that this spoiled brat should be shown what his place is here in this world - behind bars. The North Korean people should unite as one and revolt against his rule.

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It sounds very much uncalled for. I mean why? How is something like this connected with anything else that he is going to participate in? Somebody said something about some meetings. Please explain it to me because I have no idea what meeting are we talking about and why are they affected by somebody getting married or getting buried? The first one you can actually control but what can you do if you die. It is not usually your own choice. They have to wait while the ban is on?

I suppose it's meant to be to keep things accessible and flowing but weddings and funerals wouldn't have that much of an impact.
Just seems like a way to increase security while important things and people are in one place.
Like most of the information we get from NK, it's never 100% clear and reliable

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
The dude is a total lunatic. He doesn't care about his people. All he cares about is himself and probably a little bit about the welfare of his cronies. He is delusional too and thinks that he can go toe to toe with the world powers.

I think that this spoiled brat should be shown what his place is here in this world - behind bars. The North Korean people should unite as one and revolt against his rule.

The N Korean people still loyal to the current regime and won't do anything as of now.

Reactions
6 1 0
Country
Faroe Islands
A little critical thinking might go a long way, if I may write so.

1. The source of the 'insider news' is an online media based in Seoul, Republic of Korea. RoK has been officially at war with DPRK for the last 6 decades, now.

2. Even the RoK based propaganda does not say that all weddings or funerals are permanently banned, or proscribed for the foreseeable future, in the whole of North Korea/DPRK.

Rather, it says, that during the period of the WPK convention, such meetings or congregations are (supposedly) proscribed within the capital, Pyongyang, of the DPRK.

At least, that's what I can recall from a brief survey of the article.

That is all.

3. Whether the RoK based online media provided information that is true or false, that the reader should decide by using his own judgement and intellect.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
This is a temporary measure. However, in these closed societies the leader does whatever suits him even if it's sometimes detrimental to the wider populace. Probably no need to be alarmed because the people may have well resigned to this lifestyle. They may have been fed the propaganda that outside forces are interested in seeing their demise so they will mostly always rally behind their supreme ruler and be generally willing to conform to his wishes.

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
North Korea is one place where strange things look normal. This is not news anymore for a place where a high profile government functionary and indeed Kim's uncle was dragged from a meeting in public to be executed a few years ago. Its unwise for the citizens to revolt as for now when Kim is at the zenith of his power intoxication. At some point in future, the regime will unravel and a compromise and stately candidate will be found to sort out the mess.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
While I am no fan of the fat Kim Dynasty, they do have a point. The US military always like to take drills in others' faces to send off messages and threats. No one likes it when a hostile force launch a military drill in their front yard or backyard along with their local rivals.

The fact is, the US conducts such military drills with South Korea every single year. North Korea do feel threatened. Yes, all propaganda try to make the fat Kim out to be "crazy". He might be a dictator in his own little country, but he isn't crazy enough to put his own life on the line in order to destroy a city or two of his enemies.

On a side note, I do believe the Fat Kim might pause the tests for a period of time (longer than usual) if the US indeed cancel a drill or two. But I doubt he will give up nukes because I believe he see nukes as his thump card to defend himself from his enemies, including the US military.

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
I suppose this would be the obtaining state of things on the Korean peninsula and there is a precedent from past confrontations and near war situations occasioned by North Korea's brinkmanship. It will take a major event for a non military unification to take place like the case when East and West Germany united resulting in the collapse of the Berlin Wall.

tgthewriter1

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I don’t see why it’s a problem for North Korea to run nuclear bomb test. Do they plan to bomb US? I hear they are America’s sworn enemy. It is not clearly written but America doesn’t seem to like them for some reason. Their methods are very strict. But, Their problems is not an American problem.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
It's just another day in the life of North Korea versus the United States. We know quite well that the US will not cease it joint military drills with South Korea because of the type of proposal North Korea is putting forward. These test that North Korea is referring to is mostly seems to be somewhat iffy and many people don't believe in their reported results. So I don't believe that this situation will change anytime soon, both parties will just continue as usual for the time being.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
I don’t see why it’s a problem for North Korea to run nuclear bomb test. Do they plan to bomb US? I hear they are America’s sworn enemy. It is not clearly written but America doesn’t seem to like them for some reason. Their methods are very strict. But, Their problems is not an American problem.

Well, to them, the US intervened in their civil war. Bombarded all their cities, towns, and villages to wasteland. Killed millions. Prevented them from reunite Korea. Sanctioned them to poverty (They were actually better off economically than South Korea until 1960s). Conducting spy missions against them on daily basis. Have joint drills with South Korea every other quarter. Having tens thousands of troops in South Korea.

No way they can see the US as not hostile.

Kim is no saint, and I dislike him for being the only fat guy in a country of skinny, starving people. Yet I can see why they do not like the US and its military drills in their face.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
North Korea may seek better ties with Seoul, Washington next year
By Jennie Oh
Dec. 26, 2017

SEOUL, South Korea, (UPI) -- The South Korean government says North Korea is likely to seek dialogue with Washington next year while continuing to pursue nuclear and missile development.

The Unification Ministry on Tuesday released a forecast of actions the North is likely to take in 2018, after experiencing growing pressure and stringent sanctions from the international community this year.

North Korea's trade volume with its largest trading partner China shrunk 10.2 percent on year by the end of last month, with exports falling 31.7 percent to $1.6 billion. Meanwhile, imports from China grew 7.5 percent year on year to $3 billion.

The ministry says that while inflation and currency rates remain somewhat stable in the reclusive state, price levels are becoming increasingly volatile as international sanctions start to bite.

There have been reports of skyrocketing food and utility prices for the average citizen, adding to the economic hardships faced by an estimated 70 percent of the population. This has been suggested as the cause of the increased number of defections this year, according to Voice of America.

Also, the freezing of financial assets and restriction of transactions with North Korean entities, not to mention the ban on third countries from employing workers from the North, are likely to have taken a toll on foreign currency earnings.

As a means of overcoming these measures, the ministry said the North may reinforce the "Byungjin" policy, which simultaneously pursues economic growth and nuclear weapons development.

To deal with internal struggles due to the impact of the sanctions, Pyongyang is also likely to increase its control over the people and aim to solidify the unity of the regime.

While Seoul expects the North to continue demanding recognition as a nuclear state, the report says the regime may suggest holding talks with the United States or an improvement in relations with South Korea during Kim Jong Un's speech on New Year's Day or around the Pyeongchang Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games, which begin in February.

Also on Tuesday, a Unification Ministry official said there have been signs that indicate the North is preparing for the Paralympic Games, Chosun Ilbo reported.

The official said North Korean athletes appeared to be undergoing overseas training. However, whether the training is intended for the paralympics has yet to be verified, he said.

He reiterated Seoul's position that the global sporting event could serve as a momentum to improve inter-Korean relations and ease regional tensions.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-...oul-Washington-next-year/8391514272803/?nll=1

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
S. Korea to enable talks between Pyongyang and Washington
By Jennie Oh
Updated Jan. 03, 2018

S-Korea-to-enable-talks-between-Pyongyang-and-Washington.jpg

South Korean Unification Ministry Spokesman Baik Tae-hyun said Seoul will aim to improve inter-Korean ties while closely cooperating with Washington. Photo Courtesy of EPA-EFE/Yonhap.

SEOUL, South Korea, Jan. 3 (UPI) -- South Korea says it will aim to improve inter-Korean relations as a means of enabling engagement between Washington and Pyongyang.

Unification Ministry spokesman Baik Tae Hyun on Wednesday reaffirmed Seoul's position that the Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games next month could serve as a momentum to defuse tensions surrounding the Korean Peninsula.

This comes amid skepticism from Washington officials regarding South and North Korea's recent shift toward dialogue, after the North's leader Kim Jong Un appeared to extend an olive branch to Seoul while renewing the threat that it has the nuclear capability to strike the U.S. mainland.

U.S. State Department spokesperson Heather Naeurt said Tuesday that the North seems to be "trying to drive a wedge" between Washington and Seoul.

If South Korea decides to have dialogue with the North, that is their choice, she said.

However, the U.S. government is skeptical of Kim's sincerity in holding talks and has not changed its policy toward the North, according to Naeurt.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirmed that Washington maintains its policy of exerting maximum pressure on Pyongyang until it gives up its nukes, ABC News reported.

Responding to concerns from the U.S., the South Korean Unification Ministry official assured that Seoul will try to enable engagement and talks on denuclearization between Washington and Pyongyang by strengthening inter-Korean ties through the Olympics.

He said the U.S. has been the South's ally for 65 years" and that "the two sides have closely cooperated on all issues related to the Korean Peninsula."

Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Kang Kyung Wha spoke to her U.S. counterpart Rex Tillerson on Wednesday, reaffirming their commitment "to cooperating and coordinating policies regarding North Korea and its nuclear program" while "actively responding to situations on the Korean Peninsula through closer and more frequent communication," Yonhap reported.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-...Pyongyang-and-Washington/6901514978861/?nll=1