Pakistan Army Aviation Possible acquisitions | Page 30 | World Defense

Pakistan Army Aviation Possible acquisitions

Caprxl

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,401 66 0
Country
Pakistan
Can we use Chinese engine with T129 for domestic production if there is any chance of local production?
@Cookie Monster @Caprxl

Not an expert on the topic but I do not think so. Lot of working, testing, & that is even IF both parties agree & T129 has any compatible engine in store.

Wait a bit, things will get clear & am sure we will not be disappointed. If T129 re not coming, what will come will be good for sure, though I personally would love Pakistan to invest in a local/joint production of ATAK2 whenever the opportunity arises.

Pakhtoon yum

Reactions
2,107 44 0
Country
Pakistan
i think PA was interested in T129 becuase it has US made engines. i don't see any reason to put chinese engines in T129 which are not at par with US ones
What abt the Italian engine used on PAA and PAF italian helos?

Nvm it's a P&W canada PT6

Armchair

Reactions
1,577 56 0
Country
Bangladesh
I think this would be an interesting option and worth exploring for PAA. The Z-10 engines are in the exact same thrust class. This would save on maintenance and overhaul as both the Z-10s and T-129s would have the same engines, thus lowering costs significantly for PAA.

Can we use Chinese engine with T129 for domestic production if there is any chance of local production?
@Cookie Monster @Caprxl

Cookie Monster

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,568 76 0
Country
USA
@Cookie Monster @Caprxl
I doubt that there exists a Chinese engine that happens to meet all the requirements from the get go...like its dimensions and thrust.

If by luck u find one that is super close...it most likely will still require some modifications...which means more time and testing.

What's more likely is that(assuming that the Chinese and Turks agree to this) China will have to develop one from scratch...which at that point why not just wait for the Turkish engine which is further along in development than something that would just start now. Additional things to consider is that it would be an expensive thing to pursue...bcuz it would most likely be limited to Pak...
--> China wouldn't buy a T129 equipped with Chinese engine(they have other helicopters that are completely Chinese).
--> Turkey wouldn't buy T129 with a Chinese engine since they have already experienced the drawbacks of using a foreign engine...and their own is just a couple years off at best.
--> Other countries that might potentially buy T129 wouldn't be too keen to buy it with the Chinese engine bcuz by the time the negotiations are done with Turkey...their engine would either be operational or close to being operational...so it would be much easier to go with a Turkish helicopter with a Turkish engine.

The R&D cost and a limited production run of maybe a couple hundred engines at best(for just Pakistani T129s)...would mean each engine would cost a lot more than a similar type of mass produced engine.

And the above is assuming that Chinese and Turks agree to this...which I doubt they will. China would logically want to push for its Z10 instead...
...whereas Turkey would want us to sell ones with their own engines citing the same thing that at best it would mean the same delay if not more.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
USA is not letting Turkey sell T 129 because of their own engine issues with Russia and C 130 are arriving and as for J 15 and J 10 claim next few days will clear things up. And 4 Zulu helicopters are already here
Alh 6 now.

Thorough Pro

Reactions
314 6 0
Country
Pakistan
Are they flying on their own all the way from the US (being sarcastic), what's taking so long?
They can probably stuff two per transporter and send them all in a weeks time.

Alh 6 now.

Last edited:

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Are they flying own their own all the way from the US (being sarcastic), what's taking so long?
They can probably stuff two per transporter and send them all in a weeks time.
No idea Bro

CHI RULES

Reactions
281 7 0
Country
Pakistan
Zulus were the perhaps most capable platforms which PA could get with hellfire it can hit multiple targets. Sir you are perhaps now most credible link to get such info as due to some reason the Pak armed forces are keeping most of there recent acquisitions secretive even specs of Harba and Azb ASHMS are not known to public officially.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Zulus were the perhaps most capable platforms which PA could get with hellfire it can hit multiple targets. Sir you are perhaps now most credible link to get such info as due to some reason the Pak armed forces are keeping most of there recent acquisitions secretive even specs of Harba and Azb ASHMS are not known to public officially.
Btw Hellfires arrived long before the Zulus started landing.