Paris terrorist attack | Page 2 | World Defense

Paris terrorist attack

Nur

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Philippines
I just watched this on the news! The news report said it was a terrorist attack though so I had to look it up online but there were conflicting statements if the attacks were from terrorists or not. It's sad that people had to resort to these attacks and that people are murdered because of it.

I wasn't sure if the news reported that it was terrorists because the paper apparently targeted Islam and their prophet. Prayers to the families of those who were lost. I hope they resolve this issue soon.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
I was reading about that. It was sad those 12 people had to die. I am a little lost by what one of the attackers said, something about avenging the profit Mohammad? This all seems weird because if it was a terrorist attack, a terrorist group would have taken claim on the deaths, but none have come forward.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The latest updates I have heard from the BBC is that the editor was under police protection because of the threats made by various terrorist groups, they have yet to release who these threats are from.

The gunmen targeted certain people and only shot the staff at the magazine and the police. They hijacked a car but did not shoot those people. It seems to be an organized hit and am sure finding them is the priority. Obviously the news will not release anything so as not to tip them off.

They have some suspects and one is a known jihadist.

This is from the BBC;

Cartoonist Corinne Rey, said the hooded gunmen entered the building after forcing her to enter the code to open the door.

"They said they belonged to al-Qaeda," she said, adding they had spoken in fluent French.

BBC News - Charlie Hebdo: Major manhunt for Paris gunmen

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Terrorist are becoming more frequent recently then they were before. Ever since ICIS came about, we have had more problems with terrorism then before. When will it all end? Do they not understand that they can not win?

Stims

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The more i read about this the more i start to think that it is conducted by professional hitmen.. it's just too professional. I'm also not entirely convinced the police know who it is, i think giving out a few names may have been an attempt to calm the crowd.

There has been one good thing to come out of this and that is the [HASHTAG]#JeSuisCharlie[/HASHTAG] movement sweeping across the globe!

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Do you guys remember this. It was couple months ago.

Saudi King: ISIS Will Reach Europe And The US In Months

King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia has warned that the West will be the next target of the jihadists sweeping through Syria and Iraq, unless there is "rapid" action.

"If we ignore them, I am sure they will reach Europe in a month and America in another month," he said in remarks quoted on Saturday by Asharq al-Awsat daily and Saudi-backed Al-Arabiya television station.

"Terrorism knows no border and its danger could affect several countries outside the Middle East," said the king who was speaking at a welcoming ceremony on Friday for new ambassadors, including a new envoy from Saudi ally the United States.

The Islamic State (IS) jihadist group has prompted widespread concern as it advances in both Syria and Iraq, killing hundreds of people, including in gruesome beheadings and mass executions.

Lack of action would be "unacceptable" in the face of the phenomenon, King Abdullah said.

"You see how they (jihadists) carry out beheadings and make children show the severed heads in the street," he said, condemning the "cruelty" of such acts.

"It is no secret to you, what they have done and what they have yet to do. I ask you to transmit this message to your leaders: 'Fight terrorism with force, reason and (necessary) speed'."

President Barack Obama has yet to decide whether the United States should launch raids against positions held by the Islamic State jihadist group in Syria to follow US air strikes on IS activities in Iraq.

US Secretary of State John Kerry called Friday for a global coalition to combat Islamic State fighters' "genocidal agenda".

Writing in the New York Times, Kerry said he and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will meet European counterparts on the sidelines of a NATO summit in Wales next week, to enlist assistance.

They will then travel on to the Middle East to build support "among the countries that are most directly threatened".

"With a united response led by the United States and the broadest possible coalition of nations, the cancer of ISIS will not be allowed to spread to other countries," Kerry said in Friday's op-ed piece.

Asharq Al-Awsat said the king urged other countries to join the UN Counter-Terrorism Centre, set up in 2011 to respond to new threats, and to which Saudi Arabia has made a grant of $100 million.

Nur

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Philippines
The latest updates I have heard from the BBC is that the editor was under police protection because of the threats made by various terrorist groups, they have yet to release who these threats are from.
Various terrorists groups? Various?

Oh, this just gets scarier and scarier. How many terrorist groups are operating so near there? And it certainly was planned beforehand if the gunmen made sure to target people rather than just firing their guns indiscriminately a la movie mafia-style. And from Al-Qaeda? There's a recent report about Al-Qaeda possibly bombing someplace else in the US too. Why are they so active lately?

@Legend - I don't actually remember that but thanks for posting it. Things just got even scarier suddenly. I hope it's not the actual thing and we don't get an escalation of this bombings.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
People don't actually have to be officially affiliated to any group to be "terrorists". Regardless of whether they are Al-Qaeda or not, it's about the driving force rather than an affiliation. You get terrorists that aren't Islamic State or Al-Qaeda linked that fight under a warped interpretation of Islam.

The "lone wolf", where an individual takes it upon himself to commit a terrorist act by himself and without organization but in the name of a cause, is the big risk right now. Some of it is simply copycat activity.

TheSilentKid

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Philippines
Just read about this through another forum. Being writers for a satirical magazine, they ought to have made a few bad runs with some of the articles they wrote, but I guess they didn't really expect something of this magnitude to happen. Hope they catch the ones responsible and make them pay. An example needs to be made out of this.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
RIP...

President Abbas condemns Paris 'terror' attack | Maan News Agency

President Abbas condemns Paris 'terror' attack
Published yesterday 21:30

246492_345x230.jpg

(MaanImages/File)

BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Wednesday condemned a "terror attack" on a Paris satirical magazine that left at least 12 dead.

The president said in a telegram addressed to French President Francois Hollande that Palestine "strongly condemned and deplored the heinous crime that is in contradiction of religion and morality."

The president also offered "sincere condolences" to the French people and the families of the victims, as well his hope for a "speedy recovery" for the injured and "patience and strength" for their families.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
@Nur The Saudi King warned the US and Europe at the right time that if they don't act against ISIS then ISIS are going to reach them where they are. That quite telling how powerful the Saudi intelligence is. Sadly no one listen to what have been said by the Saudi authority and here is the consequences.

starshine

Reactions
34 1 0
Country
Canada
I am for freedom of speech, against such extremism and terrorism; however, I think that we should not jump in and start blaming Islam at large for the actions of terrorists groups. Which have not been claimed yet. Nor has the shooter been properly identified.

All I mean to say is, good that Saudi Arabia makes a good show of apology and PR (does not mean that they are a benevolent country or that their way of Islam is nicer; but somehow they are our allies). I hope we have more information about the whole thing soon.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think it is sad the innocent people died and for no reason at all, as the terrorists want to cause fear and riots in the country and think using weapons will help them take over. Some people are mislead by the ISIS that it is a good group, and doing good things but in the process are taking lives and want to take over as many countries as it can well doing so. I think if these people are not stopped more violence will occur and more deaths will happen around the country.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
I am for freedom of speech, against such extremism and terrorism; however, I think that we should not jump in and start blaming Islam at large for the actions of terrorists groups. Which have not been claimed yet. Nor has the shooter been properly identified.

All I mean to say is, good that Saudi Arabia makes a good show of apology and PR (does not mean that they are a benevolent country or that their way of Islam is nicer; but somehow they are our allies). I hope we have more information about the whole thing soon.

There hasn't been any new information for a long period now....

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
One gunman has handed himself in and the two brothers are on the run. It seemed they knew who the suspects were and it's been revealed one has been convicted of being associated with terrorist acts and given 18 months in prison. The issue as I said in another thread, they retain their citizenship and live under our very noses which is worrying as there is no system to find them.

What We Know About Shooting Suspects

I am sure all borders are locked down, another reason why EU open borders works well for terrorists and prevents or hinders law enforcement from finding them.