Russia Ups The Ante | Page 2 | World Defense

Russia Ups The Ante

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
A cold war would necessarily be a bad thing. The last one sent us into a technological boost as both the US and the USSR "fought" for superiority in the technological field. I would be more concerned with a "Hot" war where we actually go to arms against one another. It would not be pretty.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Are you serious Kimberly, do you think that a cold war and the race to arms would be something good? Aren't we better fighting poverty and real wars instead of creating new ones?

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Of course there is some good. A cold war could prompt a race towards things such as fighting poverty and other issues because during a cold each nation involved in it will seek to prove themselves the better by tackling such things because to resort to actual war would be too destructive. I think the thing mentioned most in the first cold war that stalled both Russia and the US's hand was "weapons of mass destruction". If another cold war were to break out (which in a small way already has) all major nations involved would have the same thing keeping them from resulting to actual war and so they vent out their "superiority" over one another through productive methods, such as the space race and advancements in medicine and technology. Where do you think a lot of the "conveniences", "innovations", and "medical miracles" you enjoy now came from? When our nations are unable to take up arms out of fear of "mass destruction" they redirect that energy and frustration into areas where a lot of good comes out. When there is no threat, we become lax and so advancements grow to a crawl... which is where we are now. Plus there is another, more subtle plus... the economy for each nation grows better. Have you ever noticed, except in a few countries, during times of war (whether "hot" or "cold") their economy receives a pretty good boost? I don't know about where you are at, but here in the US.... we seriously need it.

CanisLupas

Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Thailand
Russia is not the USSR - the people are no longer Stalinist sheep, happy to queue for hours for bread and trade weekly wages for a pair of knock-off 501s. The oligarchs in Russia are already hurting over the financial crisis that Putin's nostalgia has cause - an escalation would mean that Russia would stop being the Eurpean coal and gas supplier. Russian businessmen around the world would be shown the door and the Rubble would be entirely defunct. I cannot see Putin last long as leader if it started heating up.

This is surely sabre rattling - and is exactly why the UK publicly asks the USA for assistance in response (when the intelligence ties of the two nations have never been closer - at least not since they were one nation). Asked and answered - threaten me with your big brother and I'll call in my even bigger cousin.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Sounds like an attempt to intimidate their neighbors. Like I've said before, Russia is being a bully. They are possibly trying to get everyone all worried so they are spending all their time looking for submarines while they continue to mess with Ukraine.

CanisLupas

Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Thailand
Sounds like an attempt to intimidate their neighbors. Like I've said before, Russia is being a bully. They are possibly trying to get everyone all worried so they are spending all their time looking for submarines while they continue to mess with Ukraine.
Agreed. Russia has a long history of psychological warfare - they are possibly the world's best at it. No one is going to be misdirected, they have more than one eye to watch the bear with. Fact is that if they were preparing for real action, then no one would see those subs - they can sit at the bottom of the North Sea for months without surfacing thanks to modern air scrubbers and desalinators. They were seen, because they were meant to be seen - to test the result - and as I said earlier, it is my Cameron was equally loud with his indirect reponse.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
greed. Russia has a long history of psychological warfare - they are possibly the world's best at it.

I starting to wonder if that is all they know.

hey can sit at the bottom of the North Sea for months without surfacing thanks to modern air scrubbers and desalinators. They were seen, because they were meant to be seen - to test the result

If memory serves me, one or two of their U boats during World War II did make it to the US coastline. By some fluke they were destroyed, but no one knew they were there until years later when the boat was found by divers. No one even knows what happened to bring them down. They are sneaky buggers, I'll give them that.

Putin is a lot of hot air, but I don't think he would back down to easily. He will probably puff up and put on a show for a bit and then when things get really heavy... run and hide in a hole somewhere. However, he can cause a bit of dishevel before that happens. Wouldn't result in an actual war or anything (even though he did threaten to attack the US because he does not like our President, Hell... we don't like our President. LMAO) but there will be a bit of snarling going on between the US and UK towards Russia. The cock fight has already pretty much started with the whole Ukraine separation.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Of course there is some good. A cold war could prompt a race towards things such as fighting poverty and other issues because during a cold each nation involved in it will seek to prove themselves the better by tackling such things because to resort to actual war would be too destructive. I think the thing mentioned most in the first cold war that stalled both Russia and the US's hand was "weapons of mass destruction". If another cold war were to break out (which in a small way already has) all major nations involved would have the same thing keeping them from resulting to actual war and so they vent out their "superiority" over one another through productive methods, such as the space race and advancements in medicine and technology. Where do you think a lot of the "conveniences", "innovations", and "medical miracles" you enjoy now came from? When our nations are unable to take up arms out of fear of "mass destruction" they redirect that energy and frustration into areas where a lot of good comes out. When there is no threat, we become lax and so advancements grow to a crawl... which is where we are now. Plus there is another, more subtle plus... the economy for each nation grows better. Have you ever noticed, except in a few countries, during times of war (whether "hot" or "cold") their economy receives a pretty good boost? I don't know about where you are at, but here in the US.... we seriously need it.

I really have a different view from yours. Sure, a race to weapons would create more jobs, but do we really want to work in the weapon industry so that people kill each other in the other side of the world?

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
I really have a different view from yours. Sure, a race to weapons would create more jobs, but do we really want to work in the weapon industry so that people kill each other in the other side of the world?

Weapons is a draw back, yes, I have no love of an advancement of weapons.... but the benefits outweigh the cost in this matter. Cures for cancers and other diseases that we do not current have will suddenly take a giant leap, new innovations to end hunger and poverty will drop out of the sky all of a sudden, advancements in both oceanography and space travel will soar. Families that are struggling to feed themselves would finally have the opportunity to better their lifestyle because of better job opportunities.... the opportunities are endless. A cold war allows our governments to ruffle their feathers and squawk about release all their frustration and such while they try to show one another up. Without one, the frustration builds until everything blows up and we suddenly have ourselves an all out war that is destructive and not constructive.

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Even though many say Putin is a clever man, he is using age old tactics of intimidation and di** swinging by showing off his subs across territorial waters in Europe. He wants nations to recognize Russia for the military might that it has despite the fact that he can barely raise living standards in his own country.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
intimidation and di** swinging

I am so going to keep that statement in mind. I love it.

Putin is a fool.... but there is nothing more dangerous then ignorance. Luckily right now he is all talk and no action... but who is to say that wont turn about. People can surprise you. I have always lived by the believe that you should never underestimate anyone unless you want to be dead. I hope that he is all hot air and will eventually just blow away, but there is no guarantee which direction he will go.

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I am so going to keep that statement in mind. I love it.

Putin is a fool.... but there is nothing more dangerous then ignorance. Luckily right now he is all talk and no action... but who is to say that wont turn about. People can surprise you. I have always lived by the believe that you should never underestimate anyone unless you want to be dead. I hope that he is all hot air and will eventually just blow away, but there is no guarantee which direction he will go.
Haha well it is true isn't it. Have to agree that Putin isn't actually taking any action yet (apart from the Ukraine) but he is certainly a threat that can materialize in the near future. I think that Putin aims to distract the Russian population from the real problems that the country is facing by taking the issues abroad in the form of hostile foreign policy. This happens throughout history and seems to always work for a while.

horse next door

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Germany
This is just Russia showing how much power they have to all of us. Putin would never agree to a war, although he is creating a possibility with the Ukraine crisis.

@Falcon29: You need to educate yourself more or just stop trolling.