Which is the most powerful country in the middle east? | World Defense

Which is the most powerful country in the middle east?

haitch

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Countries in like America, Russia and China are easily labeled as powerful for there size and economy but less is talked about the middle east. I understand that Saudi Arabia are very rich but who has the biggest influence on other countries and the most power?

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
It's hard to tell but Israel has a number of powerful allies. So technically when you take this fact into account we would make the assumption that they are the most powerful nation in the Middle East. They act like it too. They've been issuing threats, bullying Palestinians and other less powerful nations, etc.

The second most powerful nation has to be Saudi Arabia. Iran would be third in that hierarchy.

Goblinforhire

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
Kenya
It's hard to tell but Israel has a number of powerful allies. So technically when you take this fact into account we would make the assumption that they are the most powerful nation in the Middle East. They act like it too. They've been issuing threats, bullying Palestinians and other less powerful nations, etc.

It's easy to forget that Israel is actually in the Middle East, I think most of us associate that region with Arabs and Muslims and overlook it.

But I agree, in terms of sway, Israel is the most powerful country in that region.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
Israel, Saudis and the UAE. Mainly because they all have very good connections to the west. Lots of diplomatical pull when you are friends with the big boys and obviously they also supply their friends with military gear and training. And in the case of Saudis and the UAE they also get more political power as well as the obvious financial benefits of being big oil producers.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
There's no single most powerful country in the middle east. They remind me of a federal government composed of independent states. Washington DC may be the capital but New York, San Francisco and Boston are some of the most "elite" cities. Saudi Arabia is an economic powerhouse - so is the UAE and Kuwait. Iran and Iraq don't have as much money but these countries possess weapons of mass destruction. Power is dispersed in the Arab Peninsula. Even Israel wields military influence, though economically it's not that impressive.

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan

The second most powerful nation has to be Saudi Arabia. Iran would be third in that hierarchy.
It's hard to tell since Egyptian land, air defense and naval forces are much stronger than Saudi's and Iranian's. While Saudi and Israeli air forces are almost equal but superior to all ME countries. I would put Iran as the 5th strongest after Israel, Egypt, Turkey and Saudi Arabia.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Israel and Saudi Arabia definitely - both have a lot of sway on the global stage, even if they aren't speaking from the same space. The US knows that they need to keep Saudi as their friends, while still looking after Israel.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
It depends on what criteria is used to make the judgement. If it is economy then one could say Saudi Arabia but where allies are concerned then Israel because of US backing. Turkey seems to have a good military and Iran may have nuclear weapons.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
The first thing that hit my head was the United Arab Emirates. But then again there is Saudi Arabia. UAE is just starting to flourish this century unlike the Saudi which has been in a limelight at the past decades. Also there's Turkey, which half of it is in Middle East, while the other is in the Europe. Because of its geographical location, Turkey really has the advantage to be in allies with both the countries in Europe and Middle East. It also makes trading easier and economic growth faster.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
It's hard to tell since Egyptian land, air defense and naval forces are much stronger than Saudi's and Iranian's. While Saudi and Israeli air forces are almost equal but superior to all ME countries. I would put Iran as the 5th strongest after Israel, Egypt, Turkey and Saudi Arabia.
I had no idea that Egypt was still kind of powerful. Makes me wonder why they don't do much to help in fighting ISIS or . . . since Egypt happens to be the most powerful nation in Africa, why they don't provide military aid to countries like Nigeria as they battle terrorists. They'd etch their name on the world stage as they did in the ages long gone.

dyanmarie25

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
Economically, that would be Saudi Arabia. In terms of army/military, I guess it would be Turkey and Israel.

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
Saudi Arabia. Oil makes the world turn, so if they were to shut that down, the world would be in a lot of trouble.

tipoywizard

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Philippines
In terms of Economy I think its Saudi Arabia. Its has large oil reserve and its command in the Oil price makes it the the most powerful country in terms of Economic power. In terms of military strength I would go to Israel. It has a really advanced weaponry and its Iron Dome Defense is very advanced.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
In terms of Economy I think its Saudi Arabia. Its has large oil reserve and its command in the Oil price makes it the the most powerful country in terms of Economic power. In terms of military strength I would go to Israel. It has a really advanced weaponry and its Iron Dome Defense is very advanced.

Israel has no geographical depth and that makes her an easy bite to sallow just so you know. The western media was the one who drew the picture that Israel is so strong when in fact, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan is more stronger that Israel in both quality and quantity. In term of quality, Saudi Arabia and Jordan. Saudi Arabia has more advanced weaponry that what Israel has. If it wasn't for the US, what is Israel.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
With US backing, no doubt Israel. Because US transfers technology to Israel to allow it to produce US systems that are slightly modified to Israeli preference at home. This includes Missile systems, drones, armed drones, guided munitions, infantry weaponry, ballistic missiles, etc....

Weapons such as ....:

Hermes 450
Spike Missile
Merkava
Jericho

Etc....are all composed of US tech for most part.

Israel doesn't confirm to international community that it has armed drones.But it does, I've seen them used myself in Gaza back in 2003.

However, without US major military support Israel would be weakest nation in region.

Second after Israel would be Egypt due to its experience and not capabilities on paper. Egypt has scaled down versions of US weapons which keeps it well below Israel. Third I would say Iran, since they utilize strategy well with cheap weapons. Not sure if they can wage war. They may sustain war but offensive capability isn't great.

Fourth would be KSA. Because They haven't been put to test and God forbid won't need to do. I believe KSA should increase ground forces and do more rigorous training for forces. And then improve NAVY. Then if it begans assessing its capabilities in areas in Yemen for example it could prove its influence and become regional power.