Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
@Legend
0rnw0Dl.gif
0rnw0Dl.gif

Yemen conflict: Saudi-led coalition resumes air strikes

Saudi-led coalition jets have bombed Houthi rebels in Yemen's third city of Taiz, hours after announcing the end of a military campaign against them.

The strikes followed the fall of the base outside Taiz of an army unit loyal to President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi.

Yemen conflict: Saudi-led coalition resumes air strikes - BBC News

Hell yeah !-!

The new smilies are so funny esp this one ºª

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Understanding ‘Operation Restoring Hope’ in Yemen

By David Andrew Weinberg | Special to Al Arabiya News
Wednesday, 22 April 2015
The Saudi-led military coalition in Yemen declared the end of Operation Decisive Storm yesterday, to be replaced with Operation Restoring Hope effective midnight. Although coalition spokesperson General Ahmed Asiri suggested on Sunday that a “next phase” of activities was imminent, yesterday’s developments still caught commentators surprised and scrambling to explain what the multilateral forces would now be seeking to achieve.

Emphasizing how the news caught so many observers off-guard, Yemen’s press attaché in Washington Mohammed Albasha noted soon afterwards on his personal Twitter account: “I will be honest, I have no idea what’s going on.” The editor of the Middle East Journal, Michael Collins Dunn, gave voice to further puzzlement on his blog: “Wait, What? They won? ... Something just happened, but I’m not sure what.”

Part of the confusion was fed by an announcement earlier on Tuesday by Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Amir Abdollahian that a “halt” to military operations would likely be reached “in the coming hours,” along with reports that former Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh’s faction among the rebels was pushing hard for a ceasefire. Yet General Asiri insisted to the press that “we are not talking about a cease-fire,” pledging that Operation Restore Hope would still involve military action to prevent the Houthis “from moving or carrying out any operations inside Yemen.”

Much of the public debate over how to define the new campaign focused on making sense of the prior stage of hostilities. Gulf journalist Jamal Khashoggi suggested that operations would transition from targeting insurgent forces to instead rolling back their transgression against Yemen’s legitimate government.

One outcome that the first phase of operations did achieve was to impose a tight air and sea blockade against further Iranian weapons deliveries into Yemeni territory, something that has proven elusive in other regional conflicts fueled by Iranian support such as in Lebanon, Syria, or Iraq.

Perhaps emphasizing the importance of this development, White House spokesperson Joshua Earnest revealed on Monday that Iran was still seeking to supply weapons to Houthis in Yemen. Moving forward, coalition efforts to maintain the arms embargo may be aided by last week’s passage of U.N. Security Council Resolution 2216. Coalition officials announced on Tuesday that they would use the resolution to elicit greater external participation in the blockade.

Main achievement
The other main achievement of Decisive Storm seems to have been an effort by coalition forces to deprive the rebels of advanced military hardware for making further swift conquests or directly threatening Saudi territory. During his briefing yesterday evening, Asiri suggested that Decisive Storm focused on achieving certain military benchmarks in particular, such as denying insurgents the use of Yemen’s MiG-29 fighter jets, destroying missiles which could target Saudi territory or sea traffic as well as surface-to-air batteries that could target coalition aircraft, bombing all major ammunition warehouses that had fallen into rebel hands, as well as demolishing the insurgents’ command and control centers.

Tactically, such measures were understood by some outside observers as a prelude to further military steps rather than signaling a complete departure from military action. Adam Baron of the European Council on Foreign Relations, who previously reported from Yemen as a journalist, wondered whether “rather than the end of war... today’s announcement only signals a new phase.”

King Salman’s decision early Tuesday to mobilize the country’s National Guard fed speculation, yet it seems that Operation Restore Hope is primarily about restarting negotiations instead. Coalition forces stated that the number one objective of the new mission would be a “quick resumption of the political process,” and Reuters quoted a member of Houthi politburo claiming that agreement on a political accord was “almost ready.” Rumors even swirled that hostilities were suspended on the basis of an Omani initiative whereby Saleh would be granted safe passage into exile, insurgents would pull out of all population centers, and Yemen’s President Abdrabbu Mansour Hadi would yield power to his deputy, Khaled Bahah.

Yet as Saudi Arabia’s UK Ambassador Mohammed bin Nawaf noted earlier this week, the military campaign is poised to continue until Saleh and the Houthis fully implement UNSCR 2216, which could be a long time coming. The New York Times reports that the Iranian-backed rebels still have forces in parts of Aden and have full control of Sanaa on the ground. And meanwhile Al-Qaeda has seized the opportunity to launch a sudden new offensive, including but not limited to al-Mukalla, a main sea port and the capital city of the Hadramawt coastal region. Observers seem unsure whether the listing of “combating terrorism” as one of Restore Hope’s official goals signals a plan to strike back against Al-Qaeda’s most dangerous branch.

While Operation Decisive Storm did not resolve the conflict in Yemen, some hope it set the ground for more comprehensive progress ahead. As the headline in today’s edition of the pan-Arab-newspaper Asharq al-Awsat proclaimed, “the storm has ended... and decisiveness continues.”

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/perspective/analysis/2015/04/22/Understanding-the-Saudi-led-Operation-Restore-Hope-in-Yemen.html

BigBIgFan

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
I sincerely hope it all works out well but some things just don't add up for me. First off it takes a long time to prepare for an engagement, months sometimes, as getting the equipment and tactical information to the battlefront takes time. To me that suggests that this entire skirmish was planned for some time, there's just too much equipment in place on the ground for it to have been spontanious.

The other thing that irks me is... Bentley's?? Any decent pilot qould quickly realize that a)owning one of these makes you an instant target for retaliation and b)you porbably can't afford it to begin with since you are thousands of miles removed from a Bentley dealer or garage able to keep it running in the desert.

It's nice to see Saudi Arabia taking up arms since the war in the region has been ongoing for years and Saudi was able to stand by idly while others took care of business on their behalf. When the regional players get involved things tend to settle down much more quickly, they have a vested interest in finding a resolution.

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
Barack Obama needs to get the United States out of the fighting in Yemen: A local power struggle could soon become sectarian.

An example of why you shouldn't believe just anyone on the internet who calls himself an 'analyst' or a 'journalist'.

He says "In fact, they are, and have been for centuries, the dominant tribe of northern Yemen, which was an independent state until 1990, when it merged with southern Yemen to form the Republic of Yemen." uh WRONG, idiot. The houthis are not a tribe but a political terrorist movement barely a decade old. Not to mention he oversimplifies this conflict as a Sunni-Shiite thing which it's not, but many of these western 'pundits' can resist using this narrative (not that many Arab journalits are any better). It's like they got this guy straight from The Economist (which has an obvious and pathetic hatred for Jordan for some reason).

Rakan.SA

Reactions
591 1 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Barack Obama needs to get the United States out of the fighting in Yemen: A local power struggle could soon become sectarian.

An example of why you shouldn't believe just anyone on the internet who calls himself an 'analyst' or a 'journalist'.

He says "In fact, they are, and have been for centuries, the dominant tribe of northern Yemen, which was an independent state until 1990, when it merged with southern Yemen to form the Republic of Yemen." uh WRONG, idiot. The houthis are not a tribe but a political terrorist movement barely a decade old. Not to mention he oversimplifies this conflict as a Sunni-Shiite thing which it's not, but many of these western 'pundits' can resist using this narrative (not that many Arab journalits are any better). It's like they got this guy straight from The Economist (which has an obvious and pathetic hatred for Jordan for some reason).
i just saw the article in twitter that guy is literly talking out of his ass. man i think i should move to the US and become an analyst. il make a lot of money lol

on another note. have you guys been watching how the Egyptian media is going lunatic lately ?! specially after the war started. iv been quiet for a long time about egypt but the amount of crap and lies in their media is unreal.
its making me wonder if sisi is really behind the media or what the hell is happening ?!
the only media that is spreading lies are coming from iran, syria, south lebanon "hezbullah" and egypt!!
the first 3 are always together we understand that. nothing new! but suddenly you got Egyptian media spreading BS! thats new and i dont like it. cuz they are major media channels so if the government has anything to do with this or couldn't stop them then the hell with them! let egypt out of the coalition until they sort their shit out.
i mean this war is directly affecting egypt national security so why arnt they supporting their army ?! why are they attacking saudi or the coalition ?!
if houthis put their hands on bab almandab it will affect the business on suez canal!! they are spending billions on it and working 24/7 trying to finish it on time!

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
i just saw the article in twitter that guy is literly talking out of his ass. man i think i should move to the US and become an analyst. il make a lot of money lol

on another note. have you guys been watching how the Egyptian media is going lunatic lately ?! specially after the war started. iv been quiet for a long time about egypt but the amount of crap and lies in their media is unreal.
its making me wonder if sisi is really behind the media or what the hell is happening ?!
the only media that is spreading lies are coming from iran, syria, south lebanon "hezbullah" and egypt!!
the first 3 are always together we understand that. nothing new! but suddenly you got Egyptian media spreading BS! thats new and i dont like it. cuz they are major media channels so if the government has anything to do with this or couldn't stop them then the hell with them! let egypt out of the coalition until they sort their shit out.
i mean this war is directly affecting egypt national security so why arnt they supporting their army ?! why are they attacking saudi or the coalition ?!
if houthis put their hands on bab almandab it will affect the business on suez canal!! they are spending billions on it and working 24/7 trying to finish it on time!
Bro, Egypt has historically been a hotbed of far-off Arab conspiracies. All throughout recent history (the past six decades or so), their media came up with amazing and totally baseless conspiracy theories about Israel, America, the Arab world and just about everything. Just a few months ago some in Egyptian media were saying that the Dead Sea-Red sea pipe project (between Palestinian Authority, Israel, and Jordan) was intended to harm the Suez Canal because ships would start using it instead. Maybe they failed to realize that ships can't pass through pipes.. Basically any hint of something can be turned into a grand conspiracy which everyone must be outraged about..
As for Sisi, I don't think he is behind this, I mean he seems cautious to maintain good relations with GCC states going as far as befriending Jordan which you may not know but the Egyptian government historically kind of resented the monarchy in Jordan until very recently.. Since Jordan is super-tight with the UAE nowadays, suddenly there is much less hateful rhetoric against Jordan as opposed to in the past. So yeah I don't think Sisi has that much control over all Egyptian media, he is struggling to control many parts of Egypt as it stands.

Rakan.SA

Reactions
591 1 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Bro, Egypt has historically been a hotbed of far-off Arab conspiracies. All throughout recent history (the past six decades or so), their media came up with amazing and totally baseless conspiracy theories about Israel, America, the Arab world and just about everything. Just a few months ago some in Egyptian media were saying that the Dead Sea-Red sea pipe project (between Palestinian Authority, Israel, and Jordan) was intended to harm the Suez Canal because ships would start using it instead. Maybe they failed to realize that ships can't pass through pipes.. Basically any hint of something can be turned into a grand conspiracy which everyone must be outraged about..
As for Sisi, I don't think he is behind this, I mean he seems cautious to maintain good relations with GCC states going as far as befriending Jordan which you may not know but the Egyptian government historically kind of resented the monarchy in Jordan until very recently.. Since Jordan is super-tight with the UAE nowadays, suddenly there is much less hateful rhetoric against Jordan as opposed to in the past. So yeah I don't think Sisi has that much control over all Egyptian media, he is struggling to control many parts of Egypt as it stands.
a lot are close to the government and sisi.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Saudi national guard mobiles IFVs, APCs and artilleries to the border with Yemen.

CDQIvmmVEAAMYVp.jpg

CDQIvs1UUAAKAmX.jpg