Acquisition of J-15 for PAF- Air Superiority & Deep Strike Platfrom | Page 48 | World Defense

Acquisition of J-15 for PAF- Air Superiority & Deep Strike Platfrom

Hawkeye

Reactions
100 1 0
Country
Pakistan
@Khafee. Sir why there isn't any news about this deal anywhere else. Typically deals like this makes a lot noise. And what do you think why PAF chose J15 instead of J10C when their budget is very limited. This aircraft will expensive to operate and maintain.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
@Khafee. Sir why there isn't any news about this deal anywhere else. Typically deals like this makes a lot noise. And what do you think why PAF chose J15 instead of J10C when their budget is very limited. This aircraft will expensive to operate and maintain.
Here. We take Forum rules very seriously.

Please read this:

and introduce yourself here first:

Thank You!

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
These are some depts that have a requirement for helos, can you think of how many they need, in the next 10 years, and are there any other depts that I missed?

PA
PN
PAF
Min of Interior
Coast Guard
MSA

So between PAF/PA/PN we had 60-80+ Alouette III helos that needed to be replaced.
PA replaced some Alouettes and Jet Rangers with a mix of AW139 and AS350s. PA also got 30 refurbed Bell 412s in early 2000s so they are also getting older (not as old as Alouettes which were bought in the 60s).
ANTF (anti narcotics task force) which is part of MoI, had 10 UH-1H "loaned" from the US that they returned last year.
I know Sindh Police and Punjab Police have a few Jet rangers and UH-1Bs.
I do not know what aircraft MSA operates. But they should have dedicated SAR helos.
Coast Guard in Pakistan is a misnomer, it is under the command of Army and is just about coastal defence. That is why Navy set up MSA (which is supposed to be like coast guard). They operated a Fokker F27 and a few Alouettes hand me down from PN.

Forestry Dept?

I see a need of 80-100 light/medium platforms that will be need to be replaced in the next 5 years.

Then we have 40 PA Pumas and 15 PN Sea Kings +10 medium range dedicated CSAR helos for PAF which could be replaced with Aw101.

All in all 3-4b to be spent in the next 5-8 years.

Negotiate with Leonardo for the whole package payable over 5-8 years but get offsets in shape of assembly or MRO in Pakistan. That will kickstart helo industry in Pakistan. If you standardize on 2 types and set up a unified supply chain, maintenance and training infrastructure, you can reduce costs significantly.

Last edited:

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
I'm not Pakistani, so I'm not governed by their laws. But these new procurements are well known in PA / PAF to anyone above one star, and to lower ranks in the relevant dept's.

While CAPEX is not an issue, OPEX remains one. With their own Armed Forces Fiscal reserves, and help from Allies, IA it should be smooth sailing.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Negotiate with Leonardo for the whole package payable over 5-8 years but get offsets in shape of assembly or MRO in Pakistan. That will kickstart helo industry in Pakistan. If you standardize on 2 types and set up a unified supply chain, maintenance and training infrastructure, you can reduce costs significantly.

This is exactly what I suggested long ago. Leo has the full range, forget MRO, you will definitely get more than that.

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
This is exactly what I suggested long ago. Leo has the full range, forget MRO, you will definitely get more than that.
I say shortsightedness. Buying adhoc and piece meal contracts here and there.

Scorpio

Reactions
3,018 66 0
Country
Pakistan
These are some depts that have a requirement for helos, can you think of how many they need, in the next 10 years, and are there any other depts that I missed?

PA
PN
PAF
Min of Interior
Coast Guard
MSA
Do add FC thay need it badly in current and future borders issues,
I also heard somewhere PA have plan to give old Cobras to FC once thay got nee attach helos, but unfortunately PA new attach helos become ping pong

Pakhtoon yum

Reactions
2,107 44 0
Country
Pakistan
New built, the first ones were supposed to start coming by end of June, but with the Covid-19 issue, August or Septemeber.

Another issue is that with Pakistan specific upgrades, this is a better platform than the one PLAN operates, so with a proper battery of tests, this deal is understandable.
I dont know if it's too much to ask but could u tell them to paint them dark gray? Pretty plz {}{}

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
J15D
J15_Kj900.jpg

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
So basically J15 is Chinese made Su30. Right?
Kind of. It was actually built using an unfinished copy of Su33 sourced from Ukraine.
J-11 licensed copy of Su27
J-16 licensed copy of Su30MKK
Both are prohibted to be exported by Russia.
Since J-15 was not sourced from Russia, Chinese can export it.