Anti-Muslim Protests In Germany | World Defense

Anti-Muslim Protests In Germany

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The Paris terrorist attack isn't exactly creating new friends for Muslims in Europe. In Germany:

German anti-Muslim protesters rally despite Merkel plea| Reuters
Protesters marched in several German cities on Monday against higher levels of immigration and what they see as the growing influence of Islam, in defiance of an appeal from Chancellor Angela Merkel to spurn rallies she views as racist.
But . . .
Some 18,000 people, the biggest number so far, turned out in Dresden on Monday but similar rallies in Berlin and the western city of Cologne were heavily outnumbered by counter-protesters who accuse PEGIDA of fanning racism and intolerance.
The beginning of Muslim persecution in Europe? Will it change anything or will it give jihadists good reasons to strike back?

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
It's sad the way things are going. As Newton's Law says "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction". This situation is going to run and run, and I'm not sure how this is going to evolve.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
It's disheartening to see an entire religion pay for the deed of some extremists. We can agree that islamism is a tough religion and not on the same page with the modern era, but to rally against every cult member?

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
It's disheartening to see an entire religion pay for the deed of some extremists. We can agree that islamism is a tough religion and not on the same page with the modern era, but to rally against every cult member?

I actually think that the extremists are hijacking the narrative for their own aims and distorting people's understanding. It's a massive shame that the crazy minority are viewed as representing the peaceful majority. It's like viewing all Christians as supporters of the KKK.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
I actually think that the extremists are hijacking the narrative for their own aims and distorting people's understanding. It's a massive shame that the crazy minority are viewed as representing the peaceful majority. It's like viewing all Christians as supporters of the KKK.
Media doesn't help either, we could go back a few years and remember the media outrage and blaming on the whole muslim community after 9/11.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
I don't think that this is just to stereotype and discriminate Muslims. Some of them might be terrorists, but not all of them. And we must not forget that not all terrorists are Muslims. There are some from different religious bodies. But are the other people of those religious bodies receive the same treatment given to the Muslims. I also strongly think that there are Muslims that oppose terrorism, but just like the rest of us, they couldn't do anything to stop it. It's all in the government.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
Of couse. I'm not generalizing but i'm just pointing out that media is not making it easier for the average consumer to distinguish a terrorist from a religion. Mostly because it's portrayed in such way that makes you think everyone is at fault. There is a difference between " Two men attacked a news site in Paris" and "Two islamists attacked a news site in Paris".

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Of couse. I'm not generalizing but i'm just pointing out that media is not making it easier for the average consumer to distinguish a terrorist from a religion. Mostly because it's portrayed in such way that makes you think everyone is at fault. There is a difference between " Two men attacked a news site in Paris" and "Two islamists attacked a news site in Paris".

I agree. The media are very good at providing an easy-to-swallow picture, which only confuses those that don't have a better understanding of the religion. It's a very tabloid approach, which unfortunately represents the lowest common denominator. It creates an "us" and "them" world.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
It's the easiest form of manipulation. Regarding such actions, I really respected the way Australians handled the situation last year. The attacks there were portrayed in such manner that made the man guilty and not the religion.

joshua minaya

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
I feel sorry for the innocent Muslims because i believe at the end of the day it is the innocent ones among them that will suffer the consequences of all these protest.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think this is like the ebola issue, media giving different information and people getting fear and thinking everyone in islam is evil and a threat to people. I think the ones not part of the group, will be seen as being part of them, and being harassed for no reason and thinking they are part of the terrorist group when they are not. This will cause people to spread hate and fear, and mobs will try to harm innocent muslim people who are not a threat.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
One in 8 Germans would join anti-Muslim marches: poll| Reuters

Although this march had been planned quite some time before the Paris attack, it will likely add fuel to the fire. I don't think this is the beginning of Muslim persecution in Europe, it is more likely the apogee, the silver lining is that the article mentions that these demonstrations have been met with a larger number of anti-demonstration protesters. Perhaps this will lead to general awakening about the extent of Islamophobia among Europeans.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania

Although this march had been planned quite some time before the Paris attack, it will likely add fuel to the fire. I don't think this is the beginning of Muslim persecution in Europe, it is more likely the apogee, the silver lining is that the article mentions that these demonstrations have been met with a larger number of anti-demonstration protesters. Perhaps this will lead to general awakening about the extent of Islamophobia among Europeans.
If I remember correctly, Sweden has some issues with islamic members aswell. Talking to a swedish friends, it's scary how easily they can discriminate and punish everyone only for the deeds of a few.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong

And that's the sad thing. What should be "anti-terrorist" is being distorted into an "anti-Muslim" guise. It's a slippery slope we're on once we get into packaging issues and threats into such broadbrushed and misrepresented terms.

Muthoni

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Kenya
The Paris terrorist attack isn't exactly creating new friends for Muslims in Europe. In Germany:

German anti-Muslim protesters rally despite Merkel plea| Reuters

But . . .

The beginning of Muslim persecution in Europe? Will it change anything or will it give jihadists good reasons to strike back?

I think that Muslim leaders should be more vigilant to ensure that terrorist do not hide among their flock. They are giving a bad name to this religion. Anyone can claim to be a Muslim. There was an issue in my region of a group of terrorists shooting passengers in a bus if they were not Muslims. The love of God does not condone killing.