AW101 possible acquisition by Pakistan Navy - WDF Exclusive | Page 2 | World Defense

AW101 possible acquisition by Pakistan Navy - WDF Exclusive

Signalian

Professional
Reactions
803 51
Country
Pakistan
AW-101 comes close to Mi-17 in some specs. This makes it a medium lift helicopter for the Navy just like Mi-17 is for the Army, however it has three engines.

Khafee

Professional
Reactions
6,113 263

Fafnir

Reactions
63 1
Country
Norway
I've flown on Mi-17s of the Afghan Air Force while in Afghanistan, S-92s of the Bristow Group's SAR training unit, the NH90 of the RNoAF, EH-101 of the Danish Air Force and S-61 of the RNoAF, alongside a few other types. The S-92 is a nice airframe, but be-fraught with program delays and has limited utility outside of SAR and transport operations. The CH-148 variant would be more appropriate, considering it's a military variant with an ASW role as well.

The EH101 SAR and tactical transport helicopter of the Danish Air Force is a beauty, but costly. Denmark was struggling to afford the type, and it's a fairly wealthy nation.

The Mi-17 is big, too big for landing on ships, same as the AW101, and largely doesn't have a naval role unlike the other helicopters I was on. Rugged, cost effective and easy to maintain. Just limited utility in the naval role considering its size.

For the naval role the Russian Ka-27 series would be more appropriate.

Khafee

Professional
Reactions
6,113 263
How do you rate this chopper sir? any guess about fly away cost of a single unit?
It's a good helo, but in terms of reliability the S-92 is my preference.

Back in 2015 "someone" was looking at buying half a dozen. The cost at the time, per bird in a utility config was Euro21m. Then recently Poland bought for 4 for their navy at $107m including logistics and training.

Pakistan's AW139 cost approx US$19.25m, IF I remember correctly.

Here is an e.g. of an Mi-14 used by the Polish Navy that will be replaced by the AW-101

Polish-SAR_10 - Copy.jpg

MystryMan

Reactions
87 1
Country
Pakistan