AW101 possible acquisition by Pakistan Navy - WDF Exclusive | Page 5 | World Defense

AW101 possible acquisition by Pakistan Navy - WDF Exclusive

Zulu

Reactions
2,010 60 0
Country
Pakistan
Nicely explained :) thats y i want to see some European platform if not AW101
Z-20 is comparable to SH60/MH60 in weight 10-tons. It is being powered by 2 x WZ-10 turboshaft which are officially rated at 1600 KW each.
SH/UH/MH60 are powered by 2 x T700 turboshafts rated at 2500 KW each. That is like 35% less power for similar weight class helo.

I based by response keeping in mind sub par performance of Z-10s original WZ-9 engine.

Zulu

Reactions
2,010 60 0
Country
Pakistan
@Gripen9 it may interest you

It was first rumored in January 2019 that a shipborne ASW variant (Z-20F, H/JZ20F) similar to American MH-60R was being developed for PLAN and a prototype flew for the first time in late 2018. It features electronic folding rotor blades and the tail boom, fiber optic communication network, integrated RF system and emergency flotation system (front & back airbags). As the result, the rear landing gear was relocated forward to the rear end of the fuselage. The horizontal stabilizer was reshaped as well so that it can be folded upwards. Z-20F also features a redesigned nose, a new cylindrical EO/LR turret in front of the nose, a surface search radar antenna underneath the chin, a round observation window behind the cockpit, a new SATCOM antenna on top of the tail boom, a crash position indicator (CPI) and a UHF/VHF antenna under the tail boom. RWR and/or MAWS sensors might have been installed on both sides of the nose as well as the real fuselage. Rectangular MAD sensor arrays (or ESM/ELINT antennas similar to Israeli AES-210) were installed on both sides of the nose as well as the rear fuselage. A sonobuoy box launcher might have been installed on the port side of the fuselage. A dipping sonar could be lowered from a round opening in the belly. Chaff/flare launchers may have been installed on the tail boom. Z-20F could carry 2 light torpedoes (Yu-9K) under the external pylons for ASW purpose. Z-20F is expected to be first stationed onboard the Type 055 DDG, replacing the old Z-9C ASW helicopter. Besides the ASW variant, a shipborne transport and SAR variant (Z-20J) is also under development. It may carry short-range ASMs (8 KD-10s or 4 YJ-9s) under the external pylons against small surface ships or FACs. MAWS sensors have been installed on both sides of the chin as well as the real fuselage.
- Last updated 6/27/20

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Chinese have been able to master electronics but when it comes to metallurgy/engines they are not there yet. It is a good start for them but it will take them some time before there platforms are mature. Only then they would be able to win the confidence of PN or PAF.
Turbine engines, especially turbine blades both metallurgy and machining processes are a closely guarded secret not many countries have the know how.

US > UK|France (tier 1)
Russia tier 2

Thats it.

Cookie Monster

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,568 76 0
Country
USA
What in the world is Pakistan buying from Italy that costs 800 million? I asked Ark Angel and his response was multiple stuff. Possibilities are:

1. Helicopter (AW-101?)
2. More of those excellent howitzers
3. APCs
4. Eurofighter lease??
5. Naval subsystems for new ships being inducted (Yarmouk, Azmat, Milgem / Jinnah, Alamgir...) These can include a possible naval SAM system
My personal guess...
I would reduce the list to 1, 2, and 5.

For 2 and 5...the amount of 800 million(USD?) seems too high. The used excess howitzers Pak has been acquiring from Italy are cheap(relatively speaking)...and I don't see how subsystems for a few ships could cost that amount. Perhaps it's split between a few things...or maybe Pak is considering to upgrade all those SPH Pak has gathered.

Armchair

Reactions
1,577 56 0
Country
Bangladesh
My personal guess...
I would reduce the list to 1, 2, and 5.

For 2 and 5...the amount of 800 million(USD?) seems too high. The used excess howitzers Pak has been acquiring from Italy are cheap(relatively speaking)...and I don't see how subsystems for a few ships could cost that amount. Perhaps it's split between a few things...or maybe Pak is considering to upgrade all those SPH Pak has gathered.

I think it could be 1, 2, 3, 5. Definitely helipters and CAM, as well as naval guns. Helis and CAM are pretty expensive stuff.

Cookie Monster

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,568 76 0
Country
USA
I think it could be 1, 2, 3, 5. Definitely helipters and CAM, as well as naval guns. Helis and CAM are pretty expensive stuff.
Right...for 1...I can even see all 800million going there alone since PN has old helis...and there's gonna be a sizable number of ships that will be inducted soon.

The only thing I was saying is that for 2 or 5...the amount is too high to go to either one or the other.

As for 3...I don't think Pak should buy APCs from any foreign country. If Pak can make tanks in house...surely they can make APCs and save outflow of cash.

Last edited:

Armchair

Reactions
1,577 56 0
Country
Bangladesh
Right...for 1...I can even see all 800million going there alone since PN has old helis...and there's gonna be a sizable number of ships that will be inducted soon.

The only thing I was saying is that for 2 or 5...the amount is too high to go to either one or the other.

As for 3...I don't think Pak should buy APCs from any foreign country. If Pak can make tanks in house...surely they can make APCs and save outflow of cash.

Pakistan has acquired close to 3000 - 4000 used APCs in the last 15 years or so from abroad. Including from Italy.

Pakhtoon yum

Reactions
2,107 44 0
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan has acquired close to 3000 - 4000 used APCs in the last 15 years or so from abroad. Including from Italy.
Pakistan needs a few things on emergency basis and they are all to do with army. Top of the list.

1.MRAPs for PA and FC on emergency basis

Count. Army: 2000-4000 for now
FC: 200-500 each FC force