Egyptian Mirage V Horus released after stiff opposition from India. | Page 30 | World Defense

Egyptian Mirage V Horus released after stiff opposition from India.

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Sir perhaps retired in 2008 by Egyptians.
HORUS upgrade happened b/w 2006-2008. So I don't think they would have retired them in 2008. They must have been in service uptill the new and sudden influx of Mig29/35 started to happened followed up the Rafales post the start of Yemen conflict.

Here is some interesting info. It seems around 50 EAF mirages were overhauled at PAC Kamra early 2000. I was under the impression only UAEAF mirages were overhauled by PAC. Which lends me to believe that HORUS upgrade may have been heavily influenced by our experience with ROSE upgrade.
Where we went with Grifo-M as radar for ROSE2, they got RC400/MICA. But the photos of HORUS - Mirages with their chin FLIR is quite similar to our ROSE3 Mirages flown by No27 SQN.

The Egyptian and Pakistani governments reportedly agreed in November 2000 on a major bilateral defense trade agreement which involved the refurbishment of Egyptian Air Force (EAF) aircraft in Pakistan.
The provision by Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) at Kamra, near Islamabad, of major overhauls and upgrades of some or all of the airframes and engines of the EAF's 13 Dassault Mirage 5 E2 attack version; appr. 45 Dassault Mirage 5 SDE tactical fighters; less than 6 Dassault Mirage 5SDR tactical reconnaissance aircraft; and 5 Dassault Mirage 5 SDD operational trainers at the Mirage Rebuild Facility, which is part of PAC. It isn't known if it was realised.

The Horus program:

Cairo entrusted Sagem (Safran group) industrial to modernize the Egyptian Air force’s Mirage 5s. In 2003 a contract for the modernization of 24 Mirage 5s has been signed. The modernization took place between 2006 and 2008.
The Egyptian Mirage 5 type will certainly continue to be in service until finances allow for additional modern fighters to be bought.

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Egyptian planes were not overhauled at PAC . Infact UAE Mirages were the only foreign aircrafts that went through PAC.
That was also my understanding. I was just quoting the source I had found online and quoted as such.

Both ROSE & HORUS upgrades were done by SAGEM. If EAF did have discussions with PAF to overhaul their A/c at PAC, they may have shared info on ROSE upgrade which was then used as baseline for HORUS.

Cookie Monster

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,568 76 0
Country
USA
I sincerely hope we dont do any such ceremony as thing we got in hand,checking,testing inducting why some media circus not our style and i can mention few positive of it too until PAF have some bigger game in mind as they are master of it
Sir with all these acquisitions...how soon do u think Pak can completely phase out F7s?
- Just recently some JF17 Block 2Bs were added(can't recall the number)
- JF17 Block III is going into production soon
- 10 J15s and 4 J10P just came...more to follow(as per Khafee)
- F16 Block 72 EDA inshallah in a month or so(as per Khafee)

Anyone keeping up with how many J7s still remain that need to be replaced?

@Gripen9 @Counter-Errorist @Khafee @AliYusuf @Armchair

Last edited:

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Sir with all these acquisitions...how soon do u think Pak can completely phase out F7s?

It seems we only have 1 active F-7P/FT-7P sqn - 18 SQN used for LIFT plus another F-7P SQN/Det in CCS (So 36 active aircraft).
Most probably F16B72 or could be follow on order of JF17B

Then we have 3 relatively new F-7PG sqn (17,20,23). These are Grifo7 equipped and very good point defense fighters inducted around 2000-2002. These would be the last to go. Most probably F16B70/V

Now 8/15/22 are the oldest non ROSE Mirage Sqns plus 1 CCS mirage sqn so 64 aircraft.
One of 15/22 will most probably re-equip with Horus Mirages (if we got them). Second one will get J10Ps
8 SQN is Maritime strike Agave/Exocet- although we now have No 2 SQN JF17 armed with with CM400-AKG and C803 for MR duties, these may soldier on for a while.
We maybe raising new SQNs to operate J15 altogether.

Armchair

Reactions
1,577 56 0
Country
Bangladesh

F-7s should not be fazed out. I see the PGs remaining till 2025-30. Very low cost, with very cheap spare parts that are easily available. F-7Ps are all gone now.