Iran acquires advanced anti-aircraft shield

KSC

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
15 0 0
Country
Canada
soumar_with_general_Dehqan725_zpsjwl5psjp.jpg

Iranian Defense Minister, Brigadier general Hossein Dehqan (right) pose with his host at the new missile. “It will be the upper hand of the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran”

soumnar_back450_zpsjncsn7pe.jpg

Launched from land-based or naval surface based platforms, Soumar uses a booster for the initial acceleration. The folded lattice tail controls are used to stabilize it as it accelerates from zero to cruising speed, when the missile gain enough speed to enable efficient use of conventional control surfaces.

As a variant of the Kh55, the Iranians could also pursue the course the Russian designers paved, turning their cruise missile into a versatile strike weapon launched from submarines, surface ships and ground based launchers. Unlike the fixed engine configuration of the Kh55, the 3R-54 ‘Club’ uses a ‘drop down’ engine, thus packing the cylindrical missile more efficiently in storage canisters, ensuring unobstructed launch procedure, particularly from the confined space of submarine launchers.

KSC

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
15 0 0
Country
Canada
Where is the Bavar-373? I only see Chinese, North Korean and Soviet copy paste missiles! Is there anything I'm missing?

Has the system been test? All missiles Iran produce are unguided. Free fall in another word.
Iran has unveiled the smart search high precision guidance system for ballistic missiles

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
‘First shot’: Iran tests Bavar-373 system aimed to substitute Russian S-300

https://www.rt.com/news/183856-bavar373-missile-iran-s300/

Last edited:

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Gulf states invest billions in missile defences to protect against Iran

Iran counters by developing the Soumar cruise missile with a 1,200-mile range, says the International Institute for Strategic Studies
Patriot_PAC-3_3571495b.jpg

Patriot PAC-3 missiles are designed to shoot down incoming weapons Photo: Getty

The Gulf states are investing billions of dollars in advanced missile defences designed to protect their cities against attack from Iran, according to the latest survey of the global military balance.

Iran has countered by developing cruise missiles with precision accuracy and ranges of up to 1,200 miles.

From Kuwait in the Gulf’s northern waters to the United Arab Emirates near the Strait of Hormuz, five countries are installing or upgrading US-supplied missile defences. This huge investment is “driven by concern over Iran’s ballistic missile arsenal,” said John Chipman, the director of the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS).

Last April, Saudi Arabia spent $2 billion (£1.3 billion) on Patriot PAC-3 missiles, which are designed to shoot down incoming weapons. These batteries have been deployed to protect the kingdom’s oil installations along the Gulf coast, only 120 miles from Iran.

souma_3571484b.jpg
A Soumar cruise missile, which has precision accuracy and ranges of up to 1,200 miles Photo: Iranian Ministry of Defence

All of Saudi Arabia’s Gulf neighbours – with the sole exception of Oman – now possess either the same system or the less capable Patriot PAC-2. The UAE is negotiating with America for the supply of the most advanced missile shield – known as the Terminal High Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) – which can destroy incoming missiles at a range of 150 miles.

How much the Gulf states are spending is unclear, but missile defence was a large proportion their total military budget of $113 billion last year.

Iran has the biggest missile programme in the Middle East, including the Sejjil with a range of 1,250 miles. Last year, Iran unveiled the Soumar cruise missile, a ground-launched variant of a Russian model.

Douglas Barrie, a military aerospace expert at the IISS, said the Gulf states were deeply concerned by Iran’s weapons. “If you’re sitting in London perhaps it doesn’t seem too rational, but if you’re sitting in Bahrain or Saudi Arabia then it looks very rational indeed,” he said.

“The sticker price for missile defence is prohibitive but it’s more prohibitive if somebody drops a ballistic weapon on your city.”

Pointing to Iran’s cruise missiles, Mr Barrie said: “If I was sitting in Tehran, it’s exactly the kind of weapon I’d want.” He added: “If you get the right guidance systems, then you’re talking about accuracies that are within ten metres.

"If they can master the technology in terms of guidance – or if they can acquire it externally – then it will give them a very capable precision strike capability.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...missile-defences-to-protect-against-Iran.html

All the missiles Iran has at the moment are not guided. Gulf State has been on shopping spree since ages and certainly not because of Iran missiles program. Iran lack air power makes it vulnerable. GCC has a powerful air forces equipped with the state of the art weaponry capable of destroying all ground/air target.

KSC

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
15 0 0
Country
Canada
All the missiles Iran has at the moment are not guided. Gulf State has been on shopping spree since ages and certainly not because of Iran missiles program. Iran lack air power makes it vulnerable. GCC has a powerful air forces equipped with the state of the art weaponry capable of destroying all ground/air target.
I showed you in a previous post the Iranian missile guidance systems and you are still adamant that they don't have any!
Iran lacks airpower, that is why they make up for it with ballistic and cruise missiles..
I am Glad to see the GCC getting well armed, that was a necessity, not especially because of Iran,, it is imperative to be well armed to defend one's assets..

sarvar_preus

Reactions
95 1 0
Country
Germany
The trucks and whatever they carry in this pic aren't an actual launching systems nor real missiles. Just a mockup made with painted barrel. The sign on the door says it all. Yes we can.*-^
proof of this claim?

sarvar_preus

Reactions
95 1 0
Country
Germany
Iran does lack somewhat in modern fighters however you underestimate the power of the 4th gen fighters it does have. the F-14 tomcat & MiG-29 fulcrum.
the MiG-29 at close range can easily outmaneuver an F-16 & still has a capable BVR load-out. likewise the F-14 was the backbone of the U.S navy's air power for decades (& would still serve well in that role if it weren't for a cheap neocon named dick Cheney that didn't want to upgrade them). the phoenix missile & F-14 combo made the IQAF flinch in both the Iran-Iraq war & in the gulf war.
not to mention the F-4 & F-5 are still a capable threat in the hands of a trained pilot & or with upgrades (it is known China aided Iran in upgrading it's F-4 phantom fleet).
the Saudi air force is a great air force in technology this is 100% true.. but they need to step up their pilot training otherwise Iran will still be able to pose a threat to the Saudis regardless of the age of some of it's air platforms.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I showed you in a previous post the Iranian missile guidance systems and you are still adamant that they don't have any!
Iran lacks airpower, that is why they make up for it with ballistic and cruise missiles..
I am Glad to see the GCC getting well armed, that was a necessity, not especially because of Iran,, it is imperative to be well armed to defend one's assets..

You did show me yes but there has been no live test for the guided version. Im following Iran missiles program closely sir.

KSC

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
15 0 0
Country
Canada
You did show me yes but there has been no live test for the guided version. Im following Iran missiles program closely sir.
Me too, you just missed the tests.. I have seen some very precise tests of many of their missiles including the anti-ship ones..