JF-17 related news. | Page 24 | World Defense

JF-17 related news.

Mechanic

Reactions
308 2 0
Country
Pakistan
Is it true that AESA radar requires more power than PESA radar and cant perform properly if not enough power is supplied to it because of low engine power and will it be the case for JF-17 Block 1s and 2s ? that they (AESA )wont be able to perform as good as they will perform in Block 3 because of more powerful engine in Block 3 ? I read someones comment that main reason thrust is being increased in RD-93 MA is because RD-93 doesnt have enough power to fully utilize the capabilities of AESA

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Is it true that AESA radar requires more power than PESA radar and cant perform properly if not enough power is supplied to it because of low engine power and will it be the case for JF-17 Block 1s and 2s ? that they (AESA )wont be able to perform as good as they will perform in Block 3 because of more powerful engine in Block 3 ? I read someones comment that main reason thrust is being increased in RD-93 MA is because RD-93 doesnt have enough power to fully utilize the capabilities of AESA
@Gripen9

Armchair

Reactions
1,577 56 0
Country
Bangladesh
Depends on:

1. Efficiency of T/R modules
2. Cooling system

Modern GaN AESAs require less power for equal / greater capability than older GAA or PESA radars. However, because they can operate at much more powerful levels, they obviously will consume more power.

The big challenge is the cooling system. Traditional AESA radars are cooled using compressor technology. This is how AESA in the F-22 and F-35 are cooled. I don't know how it's cooled in the Rafale, but probably the same.

Because this kind of cooling requires a lot of power, and if you want massive useful ranges for sustained periods, you need more cooling (meaning more power), this can be a problem for older fighters that do not have a lot of power capacity.

Another option is to attempt to use alternative cooling methods. This can be air cooling (using a stream of air to cool the T/R modules) or by using solid state cooling.

Both have their limits though and are not as capable as traditional cooling methods. Solid state cooling has limited capability, beyond which they are inefficient.

I believe the JFTB3 has a dual cooling method, using both air cooling and traditional cooling method.

PS: I built myself a prototype air cooler using solid state peltier circuits. Basically, you can build a mini A/c fridge with it and have an "a/c" for maybe 5000 RS.

Mechanic

Reactions
308 2 0
Country
Pakistan
Depends on:

1. Efficiency of T/R modules
2. Cooling system

Modern GaN AESAs require less power for equal / greater capability than older GAA or PESA radars. However, because they can operate at much more powerful levels, they obviously will consume more power.

The big challenge is the cooling system. Traditional AESA radars are cooled using compressor technology. This is how AESA in the F-22 and F-35 are cooled. I don't know how it's cooled in the Rafale, but probably the same.

Because this kind of cooling requires a lot of power, and if you want massive useful ranges for sustained periods, you need more cooling (meaning more power), this can be a problem for older fighters that do not have a lot of power capacity.

Another option is to attempt to use alternative cooling methods. This can be air cooling (using a stream of air to cool the T/R modules) or by using solid state cooling.

Both have their limits though and are not as capable as traditional cooling methods. Solid state cooling has limited capability, beyond which they are inefficient.

I believe the JFTB3 has a dual cooling method, using both air cooling and traditional cooling method.

PS: I built myself a prototype air cooler using solid state peltier circuits. Basically, you can build a mini A/c fridge with it and have an "a/c" for maybe 5000 RS.
Very well explained but what about Block 1 and 2 , will these blocks have dual cooling methods too in the future or they will require some other form of modifications to be able to provide useful ranges for sustained periods

Armchair

Reactions
1,577 56 0
Country
Bangladesh
Very well explained but what about Block 1 and 2 , will these blocks have dual cooling methods too in the future or they will require some other form of modifications to be able to provide useful ranges for sustained periods
This only someone who actually works on these platforms can tell you. All other pseudo-experts are BSing if they claim to know this.

farok84

THINK TANK
Reactions
26 0 0
Country
Pakistan

China ramps up production of JF-17 fighter jet
Source: Globaltimes.cn Published: 2020/7/15 0:01:03

ea4acd63-c1bc-4a46-a41d-f3c1a4c808c1.jpeg

A JF-17 fighter jet attached to the Pakistan Air Force flies towards the designated airspace during an air-to-ground offensive operation drill conducted by two Chinese JH-7 fighter bombers and two Pakistani JF-17 fighter jets on Sept. 20, 2017. File Photo: eng.chinamil.com.cn

China has ramped up production of JF-17 fighter jet, which was jointly developed with Pakistan. In the first half of 2020, the number of aircraft delivered was the most in the past five years, according to industry reports.

As of June 30, the production line of the JF-17 has on average shortened the production period of a single aircraft by 15 days compared to last year, China Aviation News, a newspaper affiliated with the state-owned Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC), reported last week.

The Pakistani Air Force is the main operator of JF-17 fighter jets. Myanmar also flies the Chinese-Pakistani made fighter jets.

The latest, powered-up version of the JF-17, known as the JF-17 Block 3, made its maiden flight in December 2019, the Aerospace Knowledge magazine reported then.

In March 2019, Yang Wei, chief designer of the China-Pakistan co-developed fighter jet, said development and production of the JF-17 Block 3 was underway, and the third block will see the JF-17's information-based warfare capability and weapons upgraded.

Some other countries have also approached AVIC about purchasing the JF-17 Block 3, Yang said last year.

Global Times