JF-17 related news. | Page 25 | World Defense

JF-17 related news.

baqai

Reactions
1,008 39 0
Country
Pakistan
just wondering what are advantages and disadvantages of having a stick towards side like in F-16 instead of conventional in middle, if there are benefits than why did we opt for center stick configuration

Pakhtoon yum

Reactions
2,107 44 0
Country
Pakistan
just wondering what are advantages and disadvantages of having a stick towards side like in F-16 instead of conventional in middle, if there are benefits than why did we opt for center stick configuration
I believe radar reading if I'm not wrong. I dont know which is better or worse though.

Armchair

Reactions
1,577 56 0
Country
Bangladesh

This is what I have been thinking about and researching this week! well one of the things. I knew the answers but the answers don't make sense to was trying to make sense.

F-16s and F-22s, F-35s all have the stick on the side. This helps with pulling more Gs as the arm doesn't need to be supported and can be leveraged more easily. Also, the stick and hand does not hide the main console area.

F-18 didn't follow this pattern, neither did the Super hornet. JF-17 somehow, although modelled on the F-16, didn't follow the trend as well.

Strange. Between, there was a Pakistani engineer long ago, who worked on the F-18 and later on the JF-17 project. But that was in the early 2000s, a long time ago. I am not sure why but PAF didn't prefer the superior design of the F-16 / F-22 / F-35 and chose a similar config to the F-18 for the position of the stick.

BATMAN

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,697 47 0
Country
Pakistan
Is it true that AESA radar requires more power than PESA radar and cant perform properly if not enough power is supplied to it because of low engine power and will it be the case for JF-17 Block 1s and 2s ? that they (AESA )wont be able to perform as good as they will perform in Block 3 because of more powerful engine in Block 3 ? I read someones comment that main reason thrust is being increased in RD-93 MA is because RD-93 doesnt have enough power to fully utilize the capabilities of AESA

AESA does more work than PESA, it's possible that it consume more power, but the power is not the issue in it's integration, it's the cooling.

baqai

Reactions
1,008 39 0
Country
Pakistan
i was of the view that since in high g environment it is very difficult to move as body is very very heavy thus having a natural posture of having hands on side should yield better results

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Ergonomics.
When F-16 was designed, it was the first "aerodynamically unstable" design that can pull 9g. It puts a lot of stress on the pilot. The seat was raised in the bubble canopy and inclined at 30 degrees that puts less stress on your heart. Stick is on the side with armrest so you don't have to move it much.. They also added HOTAS (hands on stick & throttle) all major operations that be done using the toggle switches/buttons on them.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
AESA does more work than PESA, it's possible that it consume more power, but the power is not the issue in it's integration, it's the cooling.
In your opinion, which is better, and why, APG80(upgraded) or APG83?

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan
Is it true that AESA radar requires more power than PESA radar and cant perform properly if not enough power is supplied to it because of low engine power and will it be the case for JF-17 Block 1s and 2s ? that they (AESA )wont be able to perform as good as they will perform in Block 3 because of more powerful engine in Block 3 ? I read someones comment that main reason thrust is being increased in RD-93 MA is because RD-93 doesnt have enough power to fully utilize the capabilities of AESA

Hi,

Young man I would love to know your educational background---.

And would also like to know why you wrote what you wrote---.

I mean to say---did you hear it from someone or you just came up with it---.

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan
This is what I have been thinking about and researching this week! well one of the things. I knew the answers but the answers don't make sense to was trying to make sense.

F-16s and F-22s, F-35s all have the stick on the side. This helps with pulling more Gs as the arm doesn't need to be supported and can be leveraged more easily. Also, the stick and hand does not hide the main console area.

F-18 didn't follow this pattern, neither did the Super hornet. JF-17 somehow, although modelled on the F-16, didn't follow the trend as well.

Strange. Between, there was a Pakistani engineer long ago, who worked on the F-18 and later on the JF-17 project. But that was in the early 2000s, a long time ago. I am not sure why but PAF didn't prefer the superior design of the F-16 / F-22 / F-35 and chose a similar config to the F-18 for the position of the stick.

Hi,

Cost effective or---concerned about the american threat---do not copy the F16---.

When you are pretending to copy an american design---you have to be careful as to how far you can run with it---.

Mechanic

Reactions
308 2 0
Country
Pakistan
Hi,

Young man I would love to know your educational background---.

And would also like to know why you wrote what you wrote---.

I mean to say---did you hear it from someone or you just came up with it---.
I actually heard it from someone on twitter , I am actually doing CA (CAF) for sometime now ?? and after 27 feb got really
interested in Pakistan defence so kuch kuch mahinay baat jhatka lagta hai to defence se related info google karna shuru kar deta hun ?

Araz

Reactions
208 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Very well explained but what about Block 1 and 2 , will these blocks have dual cooling methods too in the future or they will require some other form of modifications to be able to provide useful ranges for sustained periods
My understanding from the 2015 article on JFT in Paris is that block1 and 2 will not be upgraded to block 3. There have been a fair few changes between block 2 and 3 so an upgrade is not possible. However if a air cooled Radar comes along and is cheap enough PAF m8ght change it during upgrades and overhauls.
A

Blackbirdz!

Reactions
218 7 0
Country
Pakistan
My understanding from the 2015 article on JFT in Paris is that block1 and 2 will not be upgraded to block 3. There have been a fair few changes between block 2 and 3 so an upgrade is not possible. However if a air cooled Radar comes along and is cheap enough PAF m8ght change it during upgrades and overhauls.
A
they now will, conformed by ACE of PAF, their overhaul is being done right now to Blk 3 standard. Thats basically their E-MLU-III like that of PAF's F16A/B done in Turkey to F16C/D Blk52 standard. Radar is that LETRI's AIR COOLED AESA which was smaller then KLJ7A

Last edited: