Each CSC Frigate would be 3.5B USD at 2020 prices. A Ford class carrier would be roughly 14B USD each or roughly 4 x CSC Frigates for each Ford Carrier in USD (if my math is right). So we could buy 4.5 Carriers for every 15 CSC Frigates. Problem is.... the Royal Canadian Navy could only man two of them......maybe eh?and how much does an aircraft carrier cost?
That does not include infrastructure, training, and follow-on costs for the life of the CSC Frigates. If you take it all in they would be well over 100B CAD for their lifespan. Cool eh?I think 72 a/c is not a mini aircraft carrier, but quite a decent size one.
But the $4bn/ship for CSC is way over the top.
Tell that to the government of Canada after spending well over 340+B CAD on COVID-19 alone thus far (and growing). We are soooooooo far in the red, we may never see the black again! But the good thing about this mess is that Canada's economy is still very resilient and the best in the G7 community. We will come back out of this sooner rather than later. Have you seen Trumps debt lately? Very, very scary!!For someone who has actually spent time in Procurements, I'm going to impose a self ban, on this thread. It too depressing. None of this makes sense.
Has it been officially announced that the CSC will have cooperative engagement capability? or your supposition?Hi folks. I have been having discussions on other forums about what will be the final design for the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Type 26 Frigate. Canada will be building 15 of these 8000 ton monsters. the LM design phase is still in progress, but there are some features we already know and some we can only speculate on. There are models below that show some features. Here is a summary of what it may look like:
1. LM "S" Band Long Range Discrimination Radar (LRDR)-SPY 7(V) 1 Phased Array Air Search Radar-This has been confirmed by LM
2. X Band Illumination Radar supported by MacDonald Dettwiller Associates (MDA)-below the SPY 7 radar mast, for integration into the CMS 330 system-this may be an MDA built radar or IMO it may be an existing radar from Thales (possibly the Sea Fire 500 Phased Array Radar) however MDA is not talking. Any enlightenment on this radar from any forum members, would be appreciated.
3. MacDonald Dettwiller Associates (MDA)-Electronic Warfare Suite System & Chaff launchers
4. MacDonald Dettwiller Associates (MDA)-Laser Warfare Defence System (again MDA is not talking). Could this system be fitted Port/Stbd midships to replace Sea RAM/CIWS Blk 1? Any takers on this one?
5. 32 x MK 41 strike length VLS (ESSM2, SM II/IIIC-SM3/6). Nothing confirmed. Anything from members?
6. Combat Information Management-Links 11/16/22/GCCS-M
7. MK 54 Torpedo system
8. Sea Spider anti-torpedo system (Magellan/TKMS)
9. 6 x ExLS VLS-Aft of the funnel (Sea Ceptor, quad-packed) for CIADS
10. 2 x 4 Quad packs NSM-Port/Stbd-Above Mission Bay (maybe?)
11. Sea RAM System-Port/Stbd Mid-ships-some models show this system, others shoe CIWS Blk 1B with more recent models showing nothing, just a bare deck. Can anyone elaborate on this one?
12. Main Gun: 1 x 5 inch MK 45-127 mm
13. Secondary Guns: 2 x 30mm DMS 30 (Bushmaster 30mm)-(Port/Stbd of Flight Deck)
14. Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC)
15. CMS: LM CMS 330/Aegis
16. Bow sonar-Presumably the Ultra 2150
17. Towed Array Sonar: Unknown but possibly improved CANTASS
18. RR/MT 30 Gas Turbine
19. Speed-30+ kts. SOR required this capability for US CBG ops.
20. Crew Compliment-208 max pers
If any member can add or subtract anything from this list, please let me know.
View attachment 13987
View attachment 13988
View attachment 13989
View attachment 13990