Missile fired at Riyadh Saudi Arabia was Iranian made and here is the proof | Page 6 | World Defense

Missile fired at Riyadh Saudi Arabia was Iranian made and here is the proof

vsdoc

BANNED
Reactions
38 1 0
Country
India
The following then remains one sided view based on what you have been told by your own. Anyhow its not the subject of this discussion :)' ......... today what Iran is trying to achieve is mutated version of becoming an empire again. How that benefits you is beyond me, they are not going to revert to Zoroastrianism, if they could they would have 1300 years ago.

I am sure all will not.

Maybe not even a majority.

But I have had more than a few Iranians confide that were the current mulla regime to become less intrusive, oppressive even, religiously, many would.

The numbers in the millions.

There are many estimates that put the numbers of what are called crypto-Zoroastrians in Iran (who worship at home, and are outwardly Muslim) at about 20+ million.

There are 25 million Jews in the world today.

And see what they can do.

Cheers, Doc

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
I am sure all will not.

But I have had more than a few Iranians confide that were the current mulla regime to become less intrusive, oppressive even, religiously, many would.

There are many estimates that put the numbers of what are called crypto-Zoroastrians in Iran (who worship at home, and are outwardly Muslim) at about 20+ million.

Cheers, Doc

And then you say I am uncanny ......... not that their reversion hurts me or hurts Islam, but their concealing their true identities and motives is hypocritical. You need to chose your side and stick to it, you cannot comment on Muslim politics pretending Muslim and misguiding others and then pray in a Atish Kada at home.

And your or mine assumption that Mullah doesn't know the ground reality would be naive.

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
Anyways doc how do you look at Iran's support for Palestinian cause? I find it difficult to accept that this support is based on some brotherhood and respect for that land as being holy. This I think is some cover up story ....... there is more to it but I cannot pinpoint the exact reason and connection.

Atalay

Reactions
283 9 0
Country
Turkey
Did American Missile
Defense Fail in Saudi Arabia?

By MAX FISHER, ERIC SCHMITT, AUDREY CARLSEN and MALACHY BROWNE DEC. 4, 2017
Saudi officials did not respond to a request for comment. Some U.S. officials cast doubt on whether the Saudis hit any part of the incoming missile, saying there was no evidence that it had. Instead, they said, the incoming missile body and warhead may have come apart because of its sheer speed and force.
The findings show that the Iranian-backed Houthis, once a ragtag group of rebels, have grown powerful enough to strike major targets in Saudi Arabia, possibly shifting the balance of their years-long war. And they underscore longstanding doubts about missile defense technology, a centerpiece of American and allied national defense strategies, particularly against Iran and North Korea.
“Governments lie about the effectiveness of these systems. Or they’re misinformed,” said Jeffrey Lewis, an analyst who led the research team, which shared its findings with The New York Times. “And that should worry the hell out of us.”
The Missile
Shooting down Scud missiles is difficult, and governments have wrongly claimed success against them in the past.

country-map-Artboard_1.png

SYRIA
IRAQ
IRAN
JORDAN
SAUDI ARABIA
EGYPT
Riyadh
OMAN
Missile
610 miles
Red
Sea
SUDAN
YEMEN
ERITREA
Est. launch
The missile, seen in this video released by the Houthis, is believed to be a Burqan-2, a variant of the Scud missile used throughout the Middle East. It traveled about 600 miles.
Saudi and American officials have accused Iran of supplying the Houthis with the missile, a charge that Tehran denies. A recent United Nations report found evidence that the missile had been designed and manufactured by Iran, according to a Security Council diplomat. Reuters first reported the U.N. findings.
mute
Mr. Lewis and the other analysts, based mostly at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in Monterey, Calif., were skeptical when they heard Saudi Arabia’s claim to have shot it down.
Governments have overstated the effectiveness of missile defenses in the past, including against Scuds. During the first Gulf War, the United States claimed a near-perfect record in shooting down Iraqi variants of the Scud. Subsequent analyses found that nearly all the interceptions had failed.
Had it failed in Riyadh as well? The researchers scraped social media for anything posted in that area and time frame, looking for clues.
The Debris
The pattern of missile debris littering Riyadh suggests missile defenses either hit the harmless rear section of the missile or missed it entirely.

Just as the Saudis fired off missile defenses, debris began to fall in downtown Riyadh. Video posted on social media captured one particularly large section, which landed in a parking lot next to the Ibn Khaldun School.
mute
Other videos show scraps that fell at a handful of other locations clustered in a roughly 500-yard area along a highway.
mute
Saudi officials said the debris, which appears to belong to a downed Burqan-2, showed a successful shootdown. But an analysis of the debris shows that the warhead components – the part of the missile that carries the explosives – were missing.
The missing warhead signaled something important to the analysts: that the missile may have evaded Saudi defenses.
The missile, in order to survive the stresses of a roughly 600 mile flight, was almost certainly designed to separate into two pieces once near its target. The tube, which propels the missile for most of its trajectory, falls away. The warhead, smaller and harder to hit, continues toward the target.
burqan2-Artboard_1.jpg

Burqan 2-H
Engine
Missile body
Warhead was missing
from debris
This would explain why the debris in Riyadh only appears to consist of the rear tube. And it suggests that the Saudis may have missed the missile, or only hit the tube after it had separated and begun to fall uselessly toward earth.
Some U.S. officials said there was no evidence the Saudis had hit the missile. Instead, the debris may have broken up under the pressures of flight. What the Saudis presented as evidence of their successful interception may have simply been the missile ejecting its tube as intended.
The Location of the Explosion
A blast 12 miles away at Riyadh’s airport suggests the warhead continued unimpeded toward its target.

At around 9 p.m., about the same time debris crashed in Riyadh, a loud bang shook the domestic terminal at Riyadh’s King Khalid International Airport.
“There was an explosion at the airport,” a man said in a video taken moments after the bang. He and others rushed to the windows as emergency vehicles streamed onto the runway.
mute
Another video, taken from the tarmac, shows the emergency vehicles at the end of the runway. Just beyond them is a plume of smoke, confirming the blast and indicating a likely point of impact.
mute
A Houthi spokesman said the missile had targeted the airport.
There’s another reason the analysts think the warhead flew past the missile defenses. They located the Patriot batteries that fired on the missile, shown in this video, and found that the warhead traveled well over the top of them.
mute
Saudi officials have said that some debris from the intercepted missile landed at the airport. But it is difficult to imagine how one errant piece could fly 12 miles beyond the rest of the debris, or why it would detonate on impact.
crosscut-Artboard_1.png

The warhead passed over the Saudi missile defense unit.
Estimated trajectory of warhead
Estimated trajectory
of missile body
Missile defense
Trajectories estimated by David Wright, Union of Concerned Scientists
The Impact
Smoke and ground damage suggest the warhead struck near the airport’s domestic terminal.

Imagery of the emergency response and a plume of smoke also reveal information about the nature of the impact.
A photo of the plume taken from a different location on the tarmac appears consistent with plumes produced by similar missiles, suggesting the explosion was not an errant piece of debris or an unrelated incident.
plume-zoom.jpg

Riyadh airport
scud-plume.png

Daraya, Syria
By identifying buildings in the photo and video, Mr. Lewis’s team was able to locate the spots from which the images were taken, revealing the precise location of the plume: a few hundred yards off of runway 33R, and about a kilometer from the crowded domestic terminal.
satellite-image-Artboard_1.jpg

King Khalid
International Airport
Emergency vehicles seen on runway
Dark areas indicate
ground damage
from vehicles
Domestic
terminal
Direction of
missile
NORTH
Image courtesy of Planet
The blast was small, and satellite imagery of the airport taken immediately before and after the blast is not detailed enough to capture the crater from the impact, the analysts said.
But it does show ground damage from the emergency vehicles, supporting the finding that the warhead hit just off the runway.
While the Houthis missed their target, Mr. Lewis said, they got close enough to show that their missiles can reach it and can evade Saudi defenses. “A kilometer is a pretty normal miss rate for a Scud,” he said.
Even the Houthis may not have realized their success, Mr. Lewis said. Unless they had intelligence sources at the airport, they would have little reason to doubt official reports.
“The Houthis got very close to creaming that airport,” he said.
Laura Grego, a missile expert at the Union of Concerned Scientists, expressed alarm that Saudi defense batteries had fired five times at the incoming missile.
"You shoot five times at this missile and they all miss? That's shocking,” she said. “That's shocking because this system is supposed to work.”

Analysis by Melissa Hanham, Jeffrey Lewis, David Schmerler and Nate Taylor of the Middlebury Institute of International Studies, and David Wright, Union of Concerned Scientists. James Acton of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace and Laura Grego of the Union of Concerned Scientists reviewed the analysis.
Rick Gladstone contributed reporting. Additional work by Neil Collier, Derek Watkins, Barbara Marcolini and Rob McDonagh.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/04/world/middleeast/saudi-missile-defense.html

vsdoc

BANNED
Reactions
38 1 0
Country
India
The following then remains one sided view based on what you have been told by your own. Anyhow its not the subject of this discussion :)' ......... today what Iran is trying to achieve is mutated version of becoming an empire again. How that benefits you is beyond me, they are not going to revert to Zoroastrianism, if they could they would have 1300 years ago.

I am sure all will not.

And then you say I am uncanny ......... not that their reversion hurts me or hurts Islam, but their concealing their true identities and motives is hypocritical. You need to chose your side and stick to it, you cannot comment on Muslim politics pretending Muslim and misguiding others and then pray in a Atish Kada at home.

And your or mine assumption that Mullah doesn't know the ground reality would be naive.

What is an Atish Kada bro ...?

The correct Indian term is Atash Behram or Agyari and the Iranian term is Atash Gah.

Of course the mullas know.

They have been on record as saying that Zoroastrianism is the biggest threat to Shia Islam.

There was a pretty heated thread on Pak definitely on the same some time ago.

Of course I was involved ....

Iran is E'ran bro. It is has been and will always be Zoroastrian.

And the birth place of the Aryans.

Cheers, Doc

vsdoc

BANNED
Reactions
38 1 0
Country
India
Anyways doc how do you look at Iran's support for Palestinian cause? I find it difficult to accept that this support is based on some brotherhood and respect for that land as being holy. This I think is some cover up story ....... there is more to it but I cannot pinpoint the exact reason and connection.

The ME is going to be divided as in the old days.

Between the Jews and the Persians.

It is written.

This so called animosity if Israel and Iran is a hauvva.

The Jews know who saved them once ....

Cheers, Doc

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
What is an Atish Kada bro ...?

Urdu ..........

The ME is going to be divided as in the old days.

Between the Jews and the Persians.

It is written.

This so called animosity if Israel and Iran is a hauvva.

The Jews know who saved them once ....

Cheers, Doc

Jews are the new entrants .... I guess first time that they have a proper army. What about the Christians. It was Christians, Persians who got defeated at hands of Muslims.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Did American Missile
Defense Fail in Saudi Arabia?

By MAX FISHER, ERIC SCHMITT, AUDREY CARLSEN and MALACHY BROWNE DEC. 4, 2017
Saudi officials did not respond to a request for comment. Some U.S. officials cast doubt on whether the Saudis hit any part of the incoming missile, saying there was no evidence that it had. Instead, they said, the incoming missile body and warhead may have come apart because of its sheer speed and force.
The findings show that the Iranian-backed Houthis, once a ragtag group of rebels, have grown powerful enough to strike major targets in Saudi Arabia, possibly shifting the balance of their years-long war. And they underscore longstanding doubts about missile defense technology, a centerpiece of American and allied national defense strategies, particularly against Iran and North Korea.
“Governments lie about the effectiveness of these systems. Or they’re misinformed,” said Jeffrey Lewis, an analyst who led the research team, which shared its findings with The New York Times. “And that should worry the hell out of us.”
The Missile
Shooting down Scud missiles is difficult, and governments have wrongly claimed success against them in the past.

country-map-Artboard_1.png

SYRIA
IRAQ
IRAN
JORDAN
SAUDI ARABIA
EGYPT
Riyadh
OMAN
Missile
610 miles
Red
Sea
SUDAN
YEMEN
ERITREA
Est. launch
The missile, seen in this video released by the Houthis, is believed to be a Burqan-2, a variant of the Scud missile used throughout the Middle East. It traveled about 600 miles.
Saudi and American officials have accused Iran of supplying the Houthis with the missile, a charge that Tehran denies. A recent United Nations report found evidence that the missile had been designed and manufactured by Iran, according to a Security Council diplomat. Reuters first reported the U.N. findings.
mute
Mr. Lewis and the other analysts, based mostly at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in Monterey, Calif., were skeptical when they heard Saudi Arabia’s claim to have shot it down.
Governments have overstated the effectiveness of missile defenses in the past, including against Scuds. During the first Gulf War, the United States claimed a near-perfect record in shooting down Iraqi variants of the Scud. Subsequent analyses found that nearly all the interceptions had failed.
Had it failed in Riyadh as well? The researchers scraped social media for anything posted in that area and time frame, looking for clues.
The Debris
The pattern of missile debris littering Riyadh suggests missile defenses either hit the harmless rear section of the missile or missed it entirely.

Just as the Saudis fired off missile defenses, debris began to fall in downtown Riyadh. Video posted on social media captured one particularly large section, which landed in a parking lot next to the Ibn Khaldun School.
mute
Other videos show scraps that fell at a handful of other locations clustered in a roughly 500-yard area along a highway.
mute
Saudi officials said the debris, which appears to belong to a downed Burqan-2, showed a successful shootdown. But an analysis of the debris shows that the warhead components – the part of the missile that carries the explosives – were missing.
The missing warhead signaled something important to the analysts: that the missile may have evaded Saudi defenses.
The missile, in order to survive the stresses of a roughly 600 mile flight, was almost certainly designed to separate into two pieces once near its target. The tube, which propels the missile for most of its trajectory, falls away. The warhead, smaller and harder to hit, continues toward the target.
burqan2-Artboard_1.jpg

Burqan 2-H
Engine
Missile body
Warhead was missing
from debris
This would explain why the debris in Riyadh only appears to consist of the rear tube. And it suggests that the Saudis may have missed the missile, or only hit the tube after it had separated and begun to fall uselessly toward earth.
Some U.S. officials said there was no evidence the Saudis had hit the missile. Instead, the debris may have broken up under the pressures of flight. What the Saudis presented as evidence of their successful interception may have simply been the missile ejecting its tube as intended.
The Location of the Explosion
A blast 12 miles away at Riyadh’s airport suggests the warhead continued unimpeded toward its target.

At around 9 p.m., about the same time debris crashed in Riyadh, a loud bang shook the domestic terminal at Riyadh’s King Khalid International Airport.
“There was an explosion at the airport,” a man said in a video taken moments after the bang. He and others rushed to the windows as emergency vehicles streamed onto the runway.
mute
Another video, taken from the tarmac, shows the emergency vehicles at the end of the runway. Just beyond them is a plume of smoke, confirming the blast and indicating a likely point of impact.
mute
A Houthi spokesman said the missile had targeted the airport.
There’s another reason the analysts think the warhead flew past the missile defenses. They located the Patriot batteries that fired on the missile, shown in this video, and found that the warhead traveled well over the top of them.
mute
Saudi officials have said that some debris from the intercepted missile landed at the airport. But it is difficult to imagine how one errant piece could fly 12 miles beyond the rest of the debris, or why it would detonate on impact.
crosscut-Artboard_1.png

The warhead passed over the Saudi missile defense unit.
Estimated trajectory of warhead
Estimated trajectory
of missile body
Missile defense
Trajectories estimated by David Wright, Union of Concerned Scientists
The Impact
Smoke and ground damage suggest the warhead struck near the airport’s domestic terminal.

Imagery of the emergency response and a plume of smoke also reveal information about the nature of the impact.
A photo of the plume taken from a different location on the tarmac appears consistent with plumes produced by similar missiles, suggesting the explosion was not an errant piece of debris or an unrelated incident.
plume-zoom.jpg

Riyadh airport
scud-plume.png

Daraya, Syria
By identifying buildings in the photo and video, Mr. Lewis’s team was able to locate the spots from which the images were taken, revealing the precise location of the plume: a few hundred yards off of runway 33R, and about a kilometer from the crowded domestic terminal.
satellite-image-Artboard_1.jpg

King Khalid
International Airport
Emergency vehicles seen on runway
Dark areas indicate
ground damage
from vehicles
Domestic
terminal
Direction of
missile
NORTH
Image courtesy of Planet
The blast was small, and satellite imagery of the airport taken immediately before and after the blast is not detailed enough to capture the crater from the impact, the analysts said.
But it does show ground damage from the emergency vehicles, supporting the finding that the warhead hit just off the runway.
While the Houthis missed their target, Mr. Lewis said, they got close enough to show that their missiles can reach it and can evade Saudi defenses. “A kilometer is a pretty normal miss rate for a Scud,” he said.
Even the Houthis may not have realized their success, Mr. Lewis said. Unless they had intelligence sources at the airport, they would have little reason to doubt official reports.
“The Houthis got very close to creaming that airport,” he said.
Laura Grego, a missile expert at the Union of Concerned Scientists, expressed alarm that Saudi defense batteries had fired five times at the incoming missile.
"You shoot five times at this missile and they all miss? That's shocking,” she said. “That's shocking because this system is supposed to work.”

Analysis by Melissa Hanham, Jeffrey Lewis, David Schmerler and Nate Taylor of the Middlebury Institute of International Studies, and David Wright, Union of Concerned Scientists. James Acton of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace and Laura Grego of the Union of Concerned Scientists reviewed the analysis.
Rick Gladstone contributed reporting. Additional work by Neil Collier, Derek Watkins, Barbara Marcolini and Rob McDonagh.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/04/world/middleeast/saudi-missile-defense.html

Debunked already and Im actually surprised to see Jeffrey Lewis name in the report.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Bro no offense, but I have very little to zero interest to learn anything about Islam.

I get all my grounding and guidance from my own faith and have never found any want within.

I realise your faith exhorts you to invite non Muslims to learn more about Islam. And I do not grudge any Muslim doing what is his holy duty.

Thanks!

Cheers, Doc
You have gotten it all wrong. Willayt Al Faqih has nothing to do with Islam. It is an Iranian invention that is hell bent on destroying the middle east.

vsdoc

BANNED
Reactions
38 1 0
Country
India
Urdu ..........

Jews are the new entrants .... I guess first time that they have a proper army. What about the Christians. It was Christians, Persians who got defeated at hands of Muslims.

This phone (any phone) us such a pain man ....

I'm a devil two finger typer, and only my laptop can keep pace with my flow of thoughts.

Later ...

Cheers, Doc