Paris terrorist attack | World Defense

Paris terrorist attack

alsarcastic

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I've just seen the news. This morning unknown gunmen attacked the French satirical news magazine, Charlie Hebdo, killing twelve and injuring others. As soon as I saw the headline my immediate thought was "Islamic militants". We have seen attacks in Sydney, attacks on the streets of London, and now in Paris.

BBC News - Charlie Hebdo: Gun attack on French magazine kills 12

When are you going to see a concerted effective response to Islamism and it's attacks on innocent civilians? Our streets are becoming warzones. Something has to be done to stop groups such as ISIS and al qaeda. Something has to be done now.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
And with a bang goes away freedom of speech and a war begins, this is a dangerous world we live in. Is it necessary to risk lives to make satire though?

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Only a couple of hours ago gunmen stormed a Paris magazine office Charlie Hebdo and killed 12 people and left 4 injured.

It appeared to have been well planned and the gun men trained.
Charlie Hebdo attack - latest - BBC News

Paris and France are now on high alert as they track down the gunmen.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
Thank you for sharing, this is horribly tragic news. Even at this stage the gunmen have not yet been apprehended. My condolences go out to the families of those slain.

Stims

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Saw this news breaking earlier today and was completely shocked. It's terrible news and i pray for the families and everyone involved that these men are caught and get a just severe punishment.

Sickening.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Is this a local or international attack? Terrorists and criminals are just getting braver and braver with each day. They keep on threatening us attacking major cities. What can we do? Is there still a safe place to be with today? But I wonder how bad the attack was that 12 people died and 4 got injured. Were the securities not prepared? Aren't they expecting something tragic like this could really happen anytime? I think we have to take securities to a higher level even though that there's no apparent threatening attack, to ensure that lives wouldn't be sacrificed, or so.

Charity

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
If we do not stop the spread of this violent islamic influence, though, Gelsemium, they will take over the world. Then anyone who does not have the same beliefs as them will be killed. Their is a reason why the moderate and conservative Muslims do not speak out against these attacks.

galmal

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I can't imagine a life without the fundamental freedom of speech. Here in the US we take it for granted, and forget how special it is. I just can't imagine what it must be like to be so filled with hate and anger that you would attack and kill others, just because they printed something you don't like. How do you deal with people who have such a low regard for human life?

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Is this a local or international attack? Terrorists and criminals are just getting braver and braver with each day. They keep on threatening us attacking major cities. What can we do? Is there still a safe place to be with today? But I wonder how bad the attack was that 12 people died and 4 got injured. Were the securities not prepared? Aren't they expecting something tragic like this could really happen anytime? I think we have to take securities to a higher level even though that there's no apparent threatening attack, to ensure that lives wouldn't be sacrificed, or so.

The editor had received warnings, as the magazine was political satire. Details have been withheld as they are still looking for the gunmen who hijacked another vehicle to escape in. Two police officers were among the 12 that died.
For security reasons they are analyzing all video footage and witnesses.

They were sitting in their office when machine guns fired at their windows and then stormed the office. Offices don't have armed security generally but buzzers or a doorman. This is normal, we can't live our lives with armed guards at every building.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
And with a bang goes away freedom of speech and a war begins, this is a dangerous world we live in. Is it necessary to risk lives to make satire though?

Good point, although freedom of speech is paramount, they should have thought twice about publishing the cartoon and naming Mohammed as "editor in chief". That doesn't excuse the terrorists though.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
This is tragic.

RIP to the dead and my condolences to their families.

To him we belong and to him we shall return.

Brandon K

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Atrocious showing in Paris today....so many people still support ISIS within religious ranks and spout their support! I can not believe this bloodshed is spreading to civilized society, there needs to be an overwhelming takeover to end ISIS. No reason this organization should be able to propagandize or advertise their intentions or actions. Sickening to no end!

skipper

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
If it was going to happen, it was going to happen in France. France does have its own enclave of radical Islamists, and I imagine it has to be very frightening to live there knowing that the danger lurks. It's easy for me to sit back in the comfort of my geographically isolated United States and encourage all the major magazines, newspapers, etc. to post the "offensive" cartoons, but the fact of the matter is that there's a threat there that just isn't as prevalent here. I'll say that I think it would be very brave for any publication to print the cartoons, if they so choose, though.

I'm a little surprised it was a shooting. I may just be ignorant about gun laws in France, but I pretty much assumed guns over there are just as difficult/strange to have as, say, a grenade launcher would be here. I stand corrected!

Thoughts with the people affected. It's not my say in how France responds, but part of me hopes it's very measured. It's easy to go into attack mode since that's really what terrorists want. That said, I'm not the one in danger of being shot up over a cartoon, and I'd understand if the French react harshly. Hell, I'll understand if multiple European countries react to this...but I don't expect it, judging by the lukewarm response to what went on in Denmark.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia condemns ‘cowardly terrorist’ shooting in Paris

“Saudi Arabia denounces this cowardly terrorist act which Islam as well as other religions reject,” the state-run agency quoted an official source as saying.

“[Saudi Arabia] offers its condolences to the families of the victims as well as the government and people of the French republic and wishes a speedy recovery for the wounded,” the official said.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
This is s a very tragic story. We all know that terrorism is part every day living for us all now. But no one expects military-style attacks on mainland Europe. We can't just assume that the threat comes from some crazed lunatic that just drives his van into a group of people. We're faced with orchestrated and organized people intent on doing harm. We have to stay vigilant.