Prisoners in the Philippines Live in a Hotel Inside Prison Cells | World Defense

Prisoners in the Philippines Live in a Hotel Inside Prison Cells

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
I've seen this in many countries where corruption is strong in the political system. But that's just amazing. Some of us don't have those items even outside the bars...

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Wow, impressive, I guess that they have money to pay for the room, to bribe the police officers and so on and on. Amazing how this is allowed, why are they in jail in the first place, can't they buy their ticket out?

cyberpinoy

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Philippines
Wow, impressive, I guess that they have money to pay for the room, to bribe the police officers and so on and on. Amazing how this is allowed, why are they in jail in the first place, can't they buy their ticket out?
He didn't pay the right person, or the judge who presided over his case didn't like his family name :) In the Philippines you literally can get away with murder with just a few hundred pesos. It sad to because even assassins make more than 8 dollars o kill someone. The crap that people get away with over here is atrocious, HOWEVR dont dare do anything illegal in Davao. Criminals hate davao. I wish all of the philipines operated like Davao. Here criminals are scared to commit a crime because it could mean they will lose their life even for something as simple as stealing a pair of sunglasses out of a persons car. But everywhere else in the philippines yea you can pay to get away with murder.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
He didn't pay the right person, or the judge who presided over his case didn't like his family name :) In the Philippines you literally can get away with murder with just a few hundred pesos. It sad to because even assassins make more than 8 dollars o kill someone. The crap that people get away with over here is atrocious, HOWEVR dont dare do anything illegal in Davao. Criminals hate davao. I wish all of the philipines operated like Davao. Here criminals are scared to commit a crime because it could mean they will lose their life even for something as simple as stealing a pair of sunglasses out of a persons car. But everywhere else in the philippines yea you can pay to get away with murder.

That sounds like two extremes. An inefficient and lax justice system versus a highly efficient and brutal justice system. Studies have failed to find any correlation between harsh punishments and a reduction in crime rate. Wouldn't it be better to simply overhaul the corrupt organs of the present system? Even if that's a herculean task.

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
That video is impressive really, how can a guy be in jail in way better conditions that many people that are free? There should be no space for luxuries in prison, corruption is something scary...

Radix24

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Philippines
Jails are supposed to be a place to reform, correct, or punish the wrong doings of the prisoners. They just turned it into paradise. That is really wrong. Money does make the cogs and gear go faster and helps one get what they want even in such places.

My hometown is now revamping its image. I saw some criminology students being trained. I hope they are ready to provide security. In Davao's case, it does sound extreme, but if Filipinos want to improve peace and order, weed out the criminals...each must start to do good and obey the law.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
Sadly prisons never truly helped anyone, just alienated more people/criminals due to a broken system. At least that's what it looks like in the USA

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
This is really annoying and unfair. I don't think that justice is really served in the Philippines, and I guess in majority in the world, justice remains to be an ideal and not a thing of a reality which is pretty saddening and which makes me doubt if there's really a hope in this world to be a place conducive to live in harmony with other people. Because if it were, justice would have to be the main concern, not because it's ideal, but because it really happens.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
This is shocking, it really is. It just goes to highlight the differences between the rich and the poor - it seems money is more important than morality. Why are the government allowing practises such as this, or are they equally corrupt themselves?

nutshell

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Philippines
This is shocking, it really is. It just goes to highlight the differences between the rich and the poor - it seems money is more important than morality. Why are the government allowing practises such as this, or are they equally corrupt themselves?
Unfortunately, government officials in the Philippines are corrupt too. So cases such as the one posted are rampant there. Government officials accused of misconduct or crimes are given special privileges. They are rich and mighty so they have loads of powerful connections who can help them out. Most officials there even end up having hospital arrest, meaning they complain that their health conditions do not allow them to stay in the prison cells so they have to stay in a hospital for humanitarian reasons. So they stay in a hospital all throughout the legal proceedings of their court case/s. It is sad but it's true.

RobertNick

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Romania
No wonder. The country is pretty corrupt. If they can get this on the inside imagine what they can pay off the get off the hook on the outside.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal

I am guessing that Davao is a part of the Philippines where justice is correctly enforced? Scary to know that a bribe can get you out of jail, the system is working very poorly there...

Nur

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Philippines
If they can get this on the inside imagine what they can pay off the get off the hook on the outside.
As with anything else, money can make anything happen~ even a hotel-like suite in what is supposed to be a prison.

It took a million years but I'm glad a Justice Secretary finally did something because that's been a rumor for so long, that the rich who were jailed were living luxurious lives while the poor criminals get stuck in sardine-like conditions because there's too little budget allotted for the penal system. It's so unfair that drug lords who have already lived rich lives out of prison can stay in such quarters when they got rich through the cartel of drugs which destroy so many lives.

Let's see how this goes though. The Justice Secretary is good at her job but the Judiciary is filled with malleable judges. This has created such a big fuss though so it'll be interesting to see how they spin this.

cyberpinoy

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Philippines
I am guessing that Davao is a part of the Philippines where justice is correctly enforced? Scary to know that a bribe can get you out of jail, the system is working very poorly there...
Yes Davao is a big City in Mindanao, it is one of the most sophisticated cities in the Philippines, Probably the most sophisticated, even more so than Manila. Here you don't dare want to commit a crime, because you never know what might happen. A person stole a cellphone out of a Jeepney a few months back, and while "attempting" to apprehend the suspect he was shot and killed. Drugs Forget it, if you are caught dealing drugs here you don't make it to court, you just disappear. I LOVE Davao. and they see and watch everything. Sometimes I wonder if the CIA from america is not involved in their surveillance system HAHA. But anywhere else in the Philippines, yea you can bet if you get in trouble one phone call to the right person, (governor usually) or enough cash and you can walk right out of jail and your paperwork gets "lost" and is never recovered.