Russia Ups The Ante

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Is Russia sending the West a warning?
Submarine Found Again Near Sweden And England, Cold War 2 Fears Increase
Reports of a potential “Russian” submarine found near England and Sweden have once again become common, and now the United States is being asked by Great Britain to help in the search for this mysterious underwater object.

In a related report by the Inquisitr, Vladimir Putin recently signed and enacted a new military doctrine which proposes that Russian nuclear weapons defense systems near Europe will be expanded based upon joint defense projects with China, India, and other countries. Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev also warns that the Ukraine crisis may transform into World War 3, claiming that a nuclear war between Russia and U.S. is possible. In addition, the U.S.–China Economic and Security Review Commission believes that China’s nuclear weapons upgrade is capable of “putting the entire U.S. at risk.”

During October, Sweden deployed its military in the search for an alleged Russian submarine. The situation quickly escalated, and NATO nations reported intercepting Russian jets near the search area. Sweden threatened to used armed force in order to raise the potential Russian submarine. But finding the unknown foreign vessel proved to be the tricky part, and although Sweden provided evidence of a small U-boat breaching Sweden’s territorial waters, Russia blamed NATO while also claiming innocence.

Over the weekend, it was revealed that late last year a member of the public also photographed what appeared to be a submarine tower about two miles away from Stockholm. The Swedish military also confirmed the validity of the alleged “Russian” submarine.

“We were informed of a sighting and considered it trustworthy — we had a unit in the area and sent it to investigate,” military spokesman Philip Simon told AFP. “We received a photograph but do not plan to release it.”

A military source also looked at the alleged “Russian” submarine photo and claimed it indicated how serious the problem was for Sweden. According to Dagens Nyheter, this information is reason enough to consider a NATO membership for Sweden.

“It looks like a black submarine tower. You can also see several other ships that normally use this shipping route,” the military source said. “You don’t go this far in towards Stockholm for the fun of it. This information points to a serious intrusion towards central Stockholm.”

The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency reports that 73 percent of Swedes are concerned about recent developments related to Russia and Vladimir Putin. In comparison, only 45 percent were concerned a year ago. But it’s not only Swedes that are concerned.

In December, a potential Russian submarine was spotted by the British Navy where Royal Navy submarines normally surface as they head in or out of a base at Faslane, the home to Britain’s nuclear weapons deterrents and the Royal Navy’s Vanguard-class nuclear submarines. NATO was asked for help in the sub search because the British Ministry of Defense had scrapped its own anti-submarine Nimrod spy planes program back in 2010.

Now the Telegraph is reporting that visits from Russian submarines have been “happening quite often” off the coast of Scotland. The Ministry of Defense requested support from the U.S. Navy and two Navy aircraft were sent to conduct anti-submarine patrols.

“We can confirm that the UK recently requested assistance from allied forces for basing of maritime patrol aircraft at RAF Lossiemouth for a limited period. The aircraft have been conducting maritime patrol activity with the Royal Navy; we do not discuss the detail of maritime operations.”

The search for the potential Russian submarine has been compared to the first Cold War, when the Soviet Union commonly sent Soviet submarines into European waters.
Apparently Russia is planning something big. Revive the USSR and dare the world the to intervene? Or are they looking for something . . . to divert the attention of the Russians from their financial crisis?

Last edited:

weepforsweep

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
They are trying to flex their muscles but it isn't going to intimate us. They are not stupid enough to go to war.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Putin knows quite well that Russia wouldn't win any war. They are trying to test for weaknesses I opine while they eye other prospects in Eastern Europe. Countries which aren't either in the EU or can't get NATO's protection. Maybe they in time may decide to invade Ukraine since no one will militarily involve themselves should the Russians decide to annex it.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
I like the fact that OPEC decided to bring oil prices down. The president of Venezuela is in Saudi Arabia for talks in that regard. I can tell he is either speaking on behalf of Putin or the Mullah of Iran. Glad to see it bearing fruits.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
This is just another psychological warfare started by Russia. Yes, as you all may have predicted, that Putin-led country is obviously trying to intimidate its enemies by pretending to carry out covert military operations. They are too disadvantaged at present to wage any real war, so a "manufactured reputation" would do for the time being.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
Russia isn't the Soviet Union. It can no longer offer itself as a comparable alternative to the US, this alone will not cause another Cold War. Sweden is a historically neutral country, it is not a part of NATO, although there is growing political support to end neutrality and align itself strongly with NATO. This is Russia's attempt at projecting power in the region, Finland has already accused them of violating their airspace multiple times.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
I really don't get what the Russians are aiming. No one seems to be giving them much attention in military terms, economically on the other hand they are already suffering.

petesede

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
It is similar to North Korea shooting a rocket every once in awhile. They want to remain relevant on the world stage. One of the main reasons Putin came to power was just pride and relevancy. Russia was quickly going to fall out of the ten most influential countries in the world. So Putin does stuff like this just so other people have to talk to him. Nothing good or bad is going to come by him occassionaly putting a sub off the coast of some country, but now people need to talk to him about it.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
This is just them flexing their military muscle with no real threat of conflict. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened regularly and is just being reported in recent times due to the geopolitical climate surrounding Russia.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
It is similar to North Korea shooting a rocket every once in awhile. They want to remain relevant on the world stage. One of the main reasons Putin came to power was just pride and relevancy. Russia was quickly going to fall out of the ten most influential countries in the world. So Putin does stuff like this just so other people have to talk to him. Nothing good or bad is going to come by him occassionaly putting a sub off the coast of some country, but now people need to talk to him about it.

I wish Pete, I wish. If it's just that I am more relaxed, but Russia is a way bigger country and it's in Europe, so there are reasons for us to be more concerned...

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Putin has to continue to flex his muscles. He's a "strongman", as the media like to term him, so it's in his interest to have shows of strength. But at the same time, he's smart enough to realize that escalating tensions with western countries is not a battle that Russia can win at the moment.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Putin has to continue to flex his muscles. He's a "strongman", as the media like to term him, so it's in his interest to have shows of strength. But at the same time, he's smart enough to realize that escalating tensions with western countries is not a battle that Russia can win at the moment.

I always felt that one of the things that held Russia in place was the US, but I am not sure any more. Putin is scary and he's not easily rattled. Russia and the US being the heavies for so long kept Russia from doing anything stupid, but with Putin charge.... I just don't know anymore. Putin has been flapping his wings a lot of late and I'm wondering how much longer until he takes flight.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It is slightly worrying. Although this may seem like "chest beating" from Putin, he is capable of evil - look at what he's done to transgendered people - banning them from taking certain jobs. He's also shut down a few bitcoin sites recently. Apparently, the cryptocurrency is funding "crime and corruption" in the country!

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Are you serious Falcon? Putin is trailing a dangerous way, he wants (?) to revive the old URSS and KGB, but I really can't say what consequences it will have. For now it looks like cold war all over again.