War against ISIS | Page 12 | World Defense

War against ISIS

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Kamikaze is the alternative way ISIS should adopt.%-}
Too bad for them. They don't have the planes.

Their only option might be recruiting jihadis from other places like Somalia. People who've been fighting like forever, have nothing to live for and probably seek only a "glorious death." Or maybe they might brainwash some of their fighters and send them forth on suicide missions. But I hope that this shortage is a long-term thing.

Radix24

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Philippines
Too bad for them. They don't have the planes.
Flipping it towards our POV, it is a good thing they do not have planes. Also, it is a good thing they do not have a strong Anti-air weaponry, hence they were bombed a lot and suffered so much casualty.

tipoywizard

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Philippines
This is a great news indeed. Suice bombing is really bad you not only killing youself but other around. Many civilian and innocent lives had suffered because of this. Why waste life?. I hope more good news to come and ISIS will meet its end.

pcgamer

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
India
Well, that's certainly a pleasant surprise, especially considering the increasing manics in the world who is ready to take guns in their hands. Who'd in their sane minds join ISIS?

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
The people have realized they are being used and just a pawn that is all and, will lose their life, and the group does not have good intentions and tries to brainwash people they are doing good things. Since this will be a major loss for the group and will probably be angry that this has occurred and may try to use other ways but will find it hard now to do it. I hope more people awake and not follow this group as, they have been taking lives and not about protecting people but themselves and think they are doing right when it is not like that.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
While this seems like good news, what if they resort to other measures? I wouldn't put it past them to force children to become them and brainwash them or even hostages again. They see the whole of the human race as expendable so they will find a way somehow, I am sorry to say.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
ISIS on the doorstep? Fighters reportedly seize Iraqi town near base holding US Marines | Fox News

Islamic State fighters reportedly seized most of a western Iraqi town on Thursday, in fighting taking place mere miles from an air base where hundreds of U.S. Marines are training Iraqis.

Reuters, quoting local officials, reported Thursday that ISIS militants had overrun much of the town of al-Baghdadi. One local Iraqi official told Reuters that, "Ninety percent of al-Baghdadi district has fallen under the control of the insurgents."

A Defense Department spokeswoman confirmed to Fox News that “heavy fighting” took place in that area on Thursday, but referred questions about the status of the town to the Iraq government.

“There was no direct attack on the Al Asad air base,” the spokeswoman assured, while acknowledging reports of “ineffective indirect fire in the vicinity of the base.”

Reuters had reported that, according to unnamed officials, a group of insurgents did attack the well-fortified base but failed to break in.

The Al Asad air base is where 320 U.S. Marines are stationed training Iraqi forces. It is a mere 13-minute drive from al-Baghdadi to the base.

“It bears watching,” retired Col. Thomas Lynch, a National Defense University fellow, told Fox News, regarding the reports out of Iraq.

But he stressed that for the fighters to pose a threat to the base, they’d have to get through the perimeter. While “it’s not impossible,” Lynch said, to do it they would have to amass a large number of fighters – which would make them “vulnerable” to airstrikes.

The area in Anbar Province has long been a hot zone of fighting as ISIS looks to hold and expand its self-declared caliphate in Iraq and Syria. In January, the Pentagon first confirmed that U.S. troops at the Al Asad base had been coming under regular mortar fire.

To date, those attacks have been described as ineffective. A senior U.S. official told Fox News the base receives “low-scale” indirect fire from time to time.

“We continue to support efforts by Iraqi Security Forces, working in conjunction with tribal fighters, directed against ISIL in the province,” the DOD spokeswoman said Thursday.

According to Reuters, militants attacked the town of al-Baghdadi from two directions before advancing inward.

The development comes as the U.S.-led coalition continues to launch airstrikes against ISIS, with Jordan taking on a greater role following the brutal execution of a captured Jordanian pilot at ISIS’ hands.

American aid worker Kayla Mueller’s death – which was blamed on ISIS – also was confirmed earlier this week.

Citing the deaths of Mueller and other American captives, President Obama on Wednesday asked Congress to give formal approval to use military force against ISIS. Obama said the group poses a “grave threat” and could threaten the U.S. homeland if left “unchecked.”

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
This is a revelation to me. The Americans are training Iraqis? I don't mean to doubt the sincerity of the Iraqis but how sure are they that there aren't double-crossers mixed with the people they're trying to train? Whoever is behind the ISIS recruitment is a genius. It's a pity his skills are being used for evil.

westmixxin

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
It doesn’t seem like there’s going to be any peace in the Middle East anytime soon which is unfortunate because it seems like the majority of their conflicts are centered around religious circumstances.

Brady2121

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Read today where 8 suicide bombers penetrated the base, but were killed almost immediately.

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I would imagine that suicide bombers would be killed almost immediately. Sometimes it would be by choice, but other times it is because their packs went off. Either way it is a bad situation that they managed to penetrate into the bases.

DK01

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Haven't heard about this, if so its an extremely worrying development. lately it seems as though the airstrikes have at least slowed their advances down, allowing for local troops to regroup and fight on more equal terms, as was the case at Kobani.

I also think we've been directed by this group as to how we should feel about them. the beheading videos, the mount sinai siege of yazidis and others are all designed to make us think that they would stop at nothing and no amount of barbarism is beyond them. That is not the case, they are no worse than their many previous incarnations, they merely began their own crusade at a moment of distraction for syria/iraq/america/europe. They also fortunate to have weapons readily available from the influx of weapons into the region for these wars happening in those 2 countries.

If we treat them like the rag tag army of killers they are, instead of some slick military operation then we can actually defeat them.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
There is a reason the US Marines are the first ones in and last ones out.... those ISIS fighters are going to have a very bad day. I have confident those Marines will be OK. I think I am more worried at how our Government is going to handle all this. We have the problem in Yemen we are dealing with too. We'll get through it, but it seems that part of the world has gone completely bonky. If there was ever a place I think weed should be legal, it would be in Middle Eastern countries... they seriously need it.

DK01

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
There is a reason the US Marines are the first ones in and last ones out.... those ISIS fighters are going to have a very bad day. I have confident those Marines will be OK. I think I am more worried at how our Government is going to handle all this. We have the problem in Yemen we are dealing with too. We'll get through it, but it seems that part of the world has gone completely bonky. If there was ever a place I think weed should be legal, it would be in Middle Eastern countries... they seriously need it.
LOL I couldn't agree more with your last statement Kimberly. I also can't help but think (seriously) that their attitude towards sex and intersex mixing also has a part to play. The men must have so much pent up testosterone that they're letting it out in the form of violence

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Kurds regain Syrian villages from ISIS

10b94e5f-60d0-43f5-8f1f-3301c012483b_16x9_600x338.jpg

Kurdish Peshmerga fighters inspect an rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) launcher as they take control of the area, on the outskirts of Mosul February 6, 2015. (File photo: Reuters)

By Reuters | Beirut
Saturday, 14 February 2015

Kurdish forces backed by U.S.-led air strikes have regained control of at least 163 villages around the Syrian town of Kobane after driving back Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants in the past three weeks, a group monitoring the conflict said on Saturday.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that although the Kurds had recaptured many villages since winning back Kobane in late January, their progress had been slowed by renewed clashes to the west and southwest of the town, where ISIS had redirected its fighters.

The battle for the predominately Kurdish town, known as Ayn al-Arab in Arabic, became a focal point for the U.S.-led air campaign against the al Qaeda offshoot in Syria.

ISIS controls large areas of northern and eastern Syria, including a strip of territory across the northern Aleppo countryside and a corridor stretching southeast from Raqqa province to the frontier with Iraq.

The Syrian Kurds, who also received military support from Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga forces, said they drove ISIS from the town near the Turkish border on Jan 26. U.S.-led forces have carried out almost daily air strikes on ISIS targets around the area since late last year.

The Kurds were joined by several hundred rebel fighters in the battles for areas surrounding the town, the Observatory's founder Rami Abdulrahman said. The rebel groups included the Shams al-Shamal brigade and the Raqqa Revolutionaries Brigade, anti-ISIS fighters from northern Syria who had battled alongside the Kurds to win back territory.

ISIS’s advance on Kobane last year with heavy weapons drove tens of thousands of residents over the border into Turkey. The Kurds, armed with mainly light weapons, called for international help and the town now lies in ruins.

Last Update: Saturday, 14 February 2015 KSA 16:44 - GMT 13:44
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/02/14/Kurds-regain-Syrian-villages-from-Islamic-State-monitor.html