War against ISIS | Page 19 | World Defense

War against ISIS

Coltodor

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I also want to mention the city of Nimrud was also destroyed. The title should be changed to "Iraq Destroyed Ancient Cities." It would be nice to see troops station to protect these sites but I haven't seen any. Maybe it because it too deep in ISIS territory.

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
I'm sorry that I'm not very versed in the motivations of ISIS, but what is the reasoning behind this? Is it to a religious difference or just wanting to destroy things of great historical value? The Nazis, also a group built on fear, destroyed cities of great value because it disagreed with their values. But, they would also take the valuable artifacts, hence my confusion. Are they getting anything out of this?

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
I don't have enough words for those atrocious human beings. All ancient sites will be in danger for as long as ISIS is in power. What is the Iraqi government doing? They should immediately send troops to remaining ancients sites. Without a doubt, ISIS will attack these places. They're going to find artifacts and sell them to black markets again.

They have been busy trying to take back the towns that ISIS overtook. Its a mad house over there.

Coltodor

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
They have been busy trying to take back the towns that ISIS overtook. Its a mad house over there.

Also you had to remember during the Iraq War there was massive looting. Unfortunately the last thing on the military mind seem to be protecting historical sites or artifacts.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I don't understand why ISIS would want to destroy these places. What do they gain from it? It is the history of the area, not a current threat. Are they so extreme they can only tolerate certain styles of architecture and anything from another past culture is not ok?

Sinan

Reactions
226 2 0
Country
Turkey
I don't understand why ISIS would want to destroy these places. What do they gain from it? It is the history of the area, not a current threat. Are they so extreme they can only tolerate certain styles of architecture and anything from another past culture is not ok?

For them these statues are "Shirk";
In Islam, shirk (Arabic: شرك‎ širk) is the sin of practising idolatry or polytheism, i.e. the deification or worship of anyone or anything other than the singular God i.e. Allah. Literally, it means the establishment of "partners" placed beside God. It is the vice that is opposed to the virtue of Tawhid (monotheism).[1]

Within Islam, shirk is an unforgivable crime if it remains unpardoned before death: God may forgive any sin if one dies in that state except for committing shirk.[1][2]

The word širk comes from the Arabic root Š-R-K (ش ر ك), with the general meaning of "to share".[3] In the context of the Quran, the particular sense of "sharing as an equal partner" is usually understood, so that polytheism means "attributing a partner to Allah". In the Qur'an, shirk and the related word mušrikūn (مشركون), — those who commit shirk and plot against Islam — often refer to the enemies of Islam (as in verse 9.1–15)

Shirk (Islam) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So all statues must be broken to pieces.... OXXO

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
ISIS infighting kills nine in Syria: monitor

c579f694-504c-45e4-a614-6bc3d49788e6_16x9_600x338.jpg

ISIS fighters in Raqqa (File photo: AP)

Al Arabiya News
Tuesday, 10 March 2015
At least nine members of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) have been killed in internal clashes within the group as 10 attempted to escape across the Turkish border to return to their homes, according to the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR).

The clash apparently happened near the Syrian city of Al-Bab, north east of Aleppo on Saturday leaving five of the escapees and four of those trying to prevent them dead.

The group initially trying to flee were said to have included one Tunisian, the others were Arabian and foreign fighters.

But they were caught and detained by other ISIS fighters, according to SOHR.

Citing an unnamed source SOHR reported that the 10 members were able to convince a judge within ISIS who was “in charge in the [ISIS] prison” to “give them weapons and help with the escape.”

But as they tried to flee to the Turkish border the fire fight erupted leaving five escapees and four ISIS fighters dead.

The remaining five trying to escape were recaptured and detained.

SOHR said it is expected they will “face the same fate of more than 120 ISIS fighters who were executed in October, November, and December of 2014, after they tried to escape.”

The incident happened as Iraqi troops and militia advanced on the Iraqi city of Tikrit, which they were to later take from ISIS militants.

The news also comes just days after three British Muslim girls were said to have crossed the border into Syria to become ISIS brides.

But increasingly there are also reports coming out of Syria and Iraq of fighters attempting to flee the extremist militant group.

Lina Khatib, director of the Carnegie Middle East Centre in Beirut, told the news agency DNA that the “key challenge” being faced by ISIS was more “internal than external.”

She said that the group was failing to unite people of different origins under the caliphate.

Khatib said this had led to the group being “less effective in governing and less effective in military operations.”

There have also been a number of instances of former ISIS fighters who did manage to flee, who had become horrified by the poor living conditions, the aggressive behavior of other fighters and the beheadings carried out by ISIS executioners.

Last Update: Tuesday, 10 March 2015 KSA 20:32 - GMT 17:32
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/03/10/ISIS-infighting-kills-nine-in-Syria-monitor.html

Dez97

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
USA
As long as they are in power these attacks will never end....they have begun to see that people fear them so that has gotten into their heads and they feel they hold much power now so they will not stop.

May102014

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
6 0 0
Country
USA
If ISIS will keep destroying old infrastructures and this affects the lives of the villagers, then better to declare all out war with them. Justice should be served. If we will ignore them and will not do any actions against them, they might abuse the government and will control the power of the land.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Didn't understand this part ??

Abusing which government....they don't recognize any government. Also they are already controlling a huge piece of land.

Neither do I. %-(

I felt like >>_*

rares209

Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Romania
Militant fighters of the Islamic State mounted one of their fiercest assaults in months on Wednesday, setting off 21 car bombs in the city of Ramadi, even as the group lost ground in an Iraqi government offensive in Tikrit, security officials said.

Security forces fought Islamic State holdouts in two remaining neighborhoods on the west side of Tikrit, the birthplace of Saddam Hussein, where militants massacred more than 1,000 Shiite Iraqi soldiers last year.

The city has been the focus of a weeklong assault by Iraqi forces, the largest operation against the Islamic State, also known as ISIS or ISIL, since it swept into control of much of the country last year. Iraqi government troops and their Shiite militia allies appeared to be close to recapturing the city on Wednesday and scoring a strategically and emotionally significant victory.
To the west, in Ramadi, the capital of Anbar Province, the militants aimed to show that they could still inflict pain even as they lost ground in Tikrit.
12Iraq-web-articleLarge.jpg

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/world/middleeast/isis-ramadi-tikrit-iraqi-army.html?&_r=0

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
For them these statues are "Shirk";

Shirk (Islam) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So all statues must be broken to pieces.... OXXO

Not much different from what we Christians did during the crusades (well it was mainly the Catholics) or what the pilgrims did in the Americas to the Native Americans. Destroying everything that was of "unholy" symbolism or considered idol-ism. They like us are hiding behind their religious faith to condone their actions when in fact just at their religious faith does not teach these atrocities as being acceptable any more so then the Christan faith does not teach it. The underlying reason for this war as with any supposed "holy" war is power and domination. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for the information Sinan!

If ISIS will keep destroying old infrastructures and this affects the lives of the villagers, then better to declare all out war with them. Justice should be served. If we will ignore them and will not do any actions against them, they might abuse the government and will control the power of the land.

Slowly that is happening, but everyone fears that it could turn into WWIII if they do. Tensions are high as it is between certain countries and if they try to work together against ISIS then something could happen to push things over the edge. Or maybe that is ISIS's goal. Who is to know. All I know is that Iran, Iraq, and the US have been over there taking back villages that ISIS took over and are slowly pushing them back. I have been hearing in the grapevine that we may soon see the British military over there also. Right now, France has been too involved with the Ukraine and Russian cease fire agreements to get involved. Germany has made mention of helping with ISIS also, but I am unsure about that one. Russia of course has their hands full with this conflict between them and the Ukraine.