War against ISIS

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Canada launches its first anti-ISIS airstrikes in Syria

9efe47de-3f6d-4d5d-a967-0faf8504f62d_16x9_600x338.jpg

Two Canadian F-18 fighters targeted former Syrian military buildings that had been taken over by ISIS near the northern city of Raqa. (File photo: AP)

By Staff writer | Al Arabiya News
Thursday, 9 April 2015
Canada conducted its first air strikes against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants on Wednesday, expanding its role in the U.S. coalition against the militant group in Syria.

Two F-18 fighters targeted former Syrian military buildings that had been taken over by ISIS near the northern city of Raqa, the Globe and Mail newspaper reported. The strikes were carried out with a group of 10 aircraft, including six U.S. planes.

The warplanes also used precision-guided munitions before safely returning to base, the Canadian military said.

Canadian strikes had been limited to Iraqi territory, but at the end of March Canadian lawmakers narrowly passed a measure to allow the country’s aircraft to target ISIS targets in Syria.

Opposition lawmakers argued Canada should not deepen its involvement in the long-running and complex war.

Canada first joined the anti-ISIS coalition in November and it has also deployed about 70 special forces troops to train Kurds to fight ISIS in northern Iraq.

Despite a sustained air campaign and ground advances in Iraq, the radical group still holds large swaths of territory straddling Syria and Iraq.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/04/09/Canada-jets-begin-bombing-ISIS-in-Syria.html

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
That is how you know it is bad. Canada typically keeps to themselves about everything. They rarely get involved unless there is a major problem. Glad to have them there though.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's important the EVERY country stands up and shows they won't tolerate what ISIS is doing.

The military action taken so far is only having a limited effect as far as we know but the more countries that oppose what's going on will only strengthen the campaign against them.

May102014

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
6 0 0
Country
USA
Every time I turn on my television at home after work I would really love to watch news abroad. One of the news I have been following everyday is the Islamic State news. This is news frightening and weakening my soul because there are a lot of innocent people have been involved and they are helpless. The government officials are so vulnerable and seeking for way out. Good thing U.S officials are helping for peace.

Every time I turn on my television at home after work I would really love to watch news abroad. One of the news I have been following everyday is the Islamic State news. This is news frightening and weakening my soul because there are a lot of innocent people have been involved and they are helpless. The government officials are so vulnerable and seeking for way out. Good thing U.S officials are helping for peace.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

Helping for peace?%-} its either you are brainwashed by your media or uninformed of the reality. US invaded Afghanistan and created Taliban, invaded Iraq and created ISIS. How did ISIS manage to set foot in Iraq without the vacuum US created? FYI the current leader of ISIS was imprisoned by the US before your government sat him free in 2010.

Rakan.SA

Reactions
591 1 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
ok here is the deal everyone.
world powers have no intention in getting rid of ISIS now. they have been using them to achieve their agenda
ISIS or alqaeda are symptoms of the the disease or problem. not the main problem.
even if you kill every single one of ISIS or everyone who sympathies with ISIS simply the next day you will have another group with another name.
you want to get rid of ISIS ? you get rid of the reason that made ISIS. that caused ISIS
ISIS came cuz of Bashar Alasad in syria and ALmaliki in iraq and cuz of iran. also cuz of the failure of the world and UN to solve the matter. and also cuz of world powers are fighting for their own in interest in the region. i mean US and russia
when you fix all that then you simply took the reason for them to exist.
btw syria iraq and iran were saved by ISIS. and today they dont want ISIS to disappear otherwise the rebels will focus on them.
so ISIS saved them by distracting the rebels and slowing them down. and gave the iranians and their rats in iraq and syria some time.
today the iraqi and syrian "government" by the help of the iranians are killing everyone under the name the war on ISIS.
everyone for them are ISIS.
evry sunni is ISIS to them.
what happened in tikrit in iraq is a proof.
who is talking about the sunni tribes who are being killed in iraq for the past 11 or 12 years ? more than 2.5 million iraqis have been killed until now!
who is talking about more than 500,000 syrians killed and 11 million displaced and refugee from syria ?!
all those were not killed by ISIS !!!!
lastest news from syria bashar alasad attacked a school with his planes and 10 kids were killed!
ISIS is bad but if you dont think the iraqi and syrian "government" with the help of iranians are worse then you got a mental problem and you need a shrink ASAP. or you are a hypocrite just like the western governments and the UN.

again ISIS is bad. it will not survive. but iran and its rats in the region and the western hypocrisy is 10 times worse.
deciding who lives and who has the right to defend himself and using VETOs in the UN security council is a sick political game!

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
ok here is the deal everyone.
world powers have no intention in getting rid of ISIS now. they have been using them to achieve their agenda
ISIS or alqaeda are symptoms of the the disease or problem. not the main problem.
even if you kill every single one of ISIS or everyone who sympathies with ISIS simply the next day you will have another group with another name.
you want to get rid of ISIS ? you get rid of the reason that made ISIS. that caused ISIS
ISIS came cuz of Bashar Alasad in syria and ALmaliki in iraq and cuz of iran. also cuz of the failure of the world and UN to solve the matter. and also cuz of world powers are fighting for their own in interest in the region. i mean US and russia
when you fix all that then you simply took the reason for them to exist.
btw syria iraq and iran were saved by ISIS. and today they dont want ISIS to disappear otherwise the rebels will focus on them.
so ISIS saved them by distracting the rebels and slowing them down. and gave the iranians and their rats in iraq and syria some time.
today the iraqi and syrian "government" by the help of the iranians are killing everyone under the name the war on ISIS.
everyone for them are ISIS.
evry sunni is ISIS to them.
what happened in tikrit in iraq is a proof.
who is talking about the sunni tribes who are being killed in iraq for the past 11 or 12 years ? more than 2.5 million iraqis have been killed until now!
who is talking about more than 500,000 syrians killed and 11 million displaced and refugee from syria ?!
all those were not killed by ISIS !!!!
lastest news from syria bashar alasad attacked a school with his planes and 10 kids were killed!
ISIS is bad but if you dont think the iraqi and syrian "government" with the help of iranians are worse then you got a mental problem and you need a shrink ASAP. or you are a hypocrite just like the western governments and the UN.

again ISIS is bad. it will not survive. but iran and its rats in the region and the western hypocrisy is 10 times worse.
deciding who lives and who has the right to defend himself and using VETOs in the UN security council is a sick political game!

The US and Russia pocking their noses in every matter that don't concern them. Wherever they go the fucked up things. The invasion of Iraq, the support of Hizbo in Lebanon ending by siding with Assad. Two sides of the same coin. Rumors circling in the news that Turkey-Saudi Arabia might go offensive against Assad anytime soon. That raises a question to what the Russians response might be. If both countries managed to get rid of Assad then all issues in ME will be solved. But that not what the US and Russia want. The prolong of the conflict is the main goal. Fucking assholes both Russia and US.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
You can not blame the US (or even Russia as much as I would like to) about what is going on over there. It has been happening for centuries. Those groups existed long before Russia and the US even existed. Neither country created them, they were all ready there. The middle east is a series of countries in perpetual war and they have corrupt governments that continue that war. Russia, the US, Britain, France, Spain.... all nations have been to the middle east in hopes of correcting the situation and ending the war to no avail. It is no ones fault... it just is what it is.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
I hate seeing these videos, but they are a perfect reminder as to why we need to end this terrorist group. This video is from a week ago, it shows IS destroying Nimrud.

Rakan.SA

Reactions
591 1 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
You can not blame the US (or even Russia as much as I would like to) about what is going on over there. It has been happening for centuries. Those groups existed long before Russia and the US even existed. Neither country created them, they were all ready there. The middle east is a series of countries in perpetual war and they have corrupt governments that continue that war. Russia, the US, Britain, France, Spain.... all nations have been to the middle east in hopes of correcting the situation and ending the war to no avail. It is no ones fault... it just is what it is.
you are completely wrong. its ok maybe cuz you live in the other half of the world
everyone told the US what will happen if they keep on going with their policy of creating vacuums and shifting powers. its all documented its official statements in the UN in the press there is many official statements from 2001 until this year.
every kid in this region knows what was going to happen cuz of US and russian foreign policy in the region. we didnt need a fortune teller or a rocket scientist to tell us where this was going.
take syria as an example. just google what saudi and arab states were telling the world if the UN security council did not do its job.
when you have a vacuum and innocent ppl are being killed while the killer is being covered by world powers then law of nature tells you that ppl will react and do something and it will turn to into a blood bath.
ppl were being killed for 8 months if im not mistaken before they carried any weapon. during that time what was the UN security council doing to save ppl lives ? NOTHING.
then the killing went on until ISIS came.
the world had 2 years or more before ISIS came to syria.
its a long complicated story.. the point is that US created all this. you should take bush to war crime court.
he cant back up any evidence regarding 9/11 or Afghanistan or iraq. NOT ONE!
let the bush government deny any of the evidence here. they cant its impossible
World Trade Center Building 7 Demolished on 9/11? - Home
he wasted trillions of tax payers money on what ?! nothing!
what was achieved during the past 14 years ? nothing!
do you feel as safe as it use to be before 2001 ? i dont! all i see is attacks in countries that use to be very quiet and safe!
how many american soldiers died ? and for what cause did they die ? go ask their families. no one knows for what cause they died
ISIS is a problem but not THE PROBLEM. as i said its a symptom not the actual disease
i hope this coalition will deal with ISIS after yemen and bring peace back to the region and specially syria and iraq.
ISIS, Bashar Alasad, hezbullah, iraqi shia militia and iranian government are all terrorist and the world cant live in peace while they still exist

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Well that is a give in, the UN has been useless in a lot of matters of late, but that is not the US's problem nor fault. The ISIS militant group existed long before the US got involved... so did the other terrorist groups. They were known by other names then, but as their leaders are killed... new groups are created from the surviving members. The weapons they use are primarily from the US and Russia because they were the easiest and best weapons to obtain.

Regardless of anything, placing the blame on anyone is not going to resolve the issue... it just creates more tension to the problem. Concentrating on the problem and a solution to it is the only means to resolving it for good.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Iraq is quickly regaining territory from ISIS. So far they have lost 1/4 of the territory they were once occupying.

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
The Islamic State’s Phase-Four Failure

The Islamic State is learning that it's easier to take ground than it is to hold it. And it's giving the U.S. an opening to change the course of the region.

Since late last year, evidence has been mounting that the Islamic State has reached a point of diminishing returns in controlling the territories it has seized and exploited. Despite a year of military successes, it’s losing popular support. The reasons for this should be all too familiar to those who followed the United States’ military-led adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan — it’s easier to campaign than govern, as the saying goes. And the complexity and scope of post-conflict stabilization and reconstruction — “phase four” in U.S. military parlance — is proving a far greater challenge for the Islamic State than perhaps was originally anticipated. And for the United States and its partners, that could spell an opportunity to not only beat back terrorist insurgencies, but prevent new, even deadlier ones from following in their footsteps.

In many areas where it is claiming a caliphate, for example, the Islamic State (IS) is on the defensive. On April 1, it was ousted from the city of Tikrit by Iraqi security forces. In northeast Syria, Kurdish forces supported by U.S. airstrikes pushed it out of Kobani and are advancing on Raqqa. In a watershed moment in Middle East regional security, Saudi forces are at the forefront of a coalition of at least 10 countries to purge Yemen of Houthi, al Qaeda, and Islamic State insurgents, and perhaps restore order to a country that has had little to no effective governance and civil society.

The March attacks in Tunisia and Yemen claimed by the Islamic State, and its corresponding social media campaign to project a picture of ubiquitous expansion appear to be compensating for signs that the organization may be fraying from within, as Liz Sly, covering IS for the Washington Post, reported.

More than military misfortune, the Islamic State’s recent setbacks come from the collision of their utopian state-building exercises with the pragmatic realities of managing diverse communities. “We’re seeing basically a failure of the central tenet of ISIS ideology, which is to unify people of different origins under the caliphate,” Lina Khatib, director of the Carnegie Middle East Center in Beirut, told Sly. “This is not working on the ground. It is making them less effective in governing and less effective in military operations.”

The ultimate, if not proximate, cause for this “culminating point” (to wax Clausewitzian) is in the inability to deliver basic public services and the failure to promote a more inclusive sense of civil society — the same sociopolitical and socioeconomic vulnerabilities the extremists exploited to begin with. As Jim Sisco, president of ENODO Global, wrote for Foreign Policy in January, “ISIS was able to immediately fill a void created by the ongoing civil war in Syria and a Shiite dominated Iraq Government that neglected the Sunni tribes.” In doing so, it could “play upon the population’s sympathies” and their disaffection with — in Iraq, at least — a government and army put together under U.S. sponsorship.

But a shallow strategy of winning hearts and minds, as seen before, goes as far as it does deep. By November last year, regional opinion of the Islamic State had already cratered — eight of 10 respondents held a negative view of the Islamic State in a poll conducted by the Arab Center of Washington. But the same poll, which surveyed 5,100 people in seven countries, also revealed the “Arab Street’s” indiscriminate suspicions of the “hidden hand” of foreign involvement there, including that of the United States. The Islamic State, one should remember, is a foreign franchise more than it is a homegrown one. And it’s caught in its own version of the phase-four time warp.

The seeds of popular discontent are often sown by the invaders themselves. Whether for good or for ill, efforts to replace or rebuild capacity at these critical local levels can reflect the absence of forethought, as in the case of the United States in Iraq, or the presence of malice. “As the jihadists swept through northeastern Syria,” U.S. Institute of Peace (USIP) Senior Fellow Robin Wright recalled in the New Yorker at the beginning of December last year, “they seized fire trucks, garbage trucks, ambulances, generators, water tanks, and rescue equipment that had been provided to local councils. The Islamic State’s takeover also put an end to U.S. stipends to pay for local schoolteachers.”

By the end of the year, according to Sly’s reporting, prices for basic goods soared and food and medicine became scarce. In Raqqa, she noted, “water and electricity are available for no more than three or four hours a day, garbage piles up uncollected, and the city’s poor scavenge for scraps on streets crowded with sellers hawking anything they can find.” Much of this has owed to stringent enforcement of prayer hours by IS’s Hesbah religious police, shutting down shops, prohibiting repairs to damaged infrastructure or other needed service delivery.

Rarely has anyone won a war with the population against them. As (retired) Army General Eric Shinseki warned before the war in Iraq: It’s one thing to take the ground; it’s another to hold it. Much as the Germans were in Russia in World War II, IS fighters were first hailed as liberators and not occupiers. But when their true nature manifested in their draconian behavior toward anyone not fitting their narrow notions of collective identity, the locals saw what had come next was worse than what preceded it.

The phase-four fates of Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom were due more to the sins of omission than of commission. The U.S. government, in its haste to do in months what takes years, threw billions at hearts-and-minds boondoggles and into ministries yielding corruption, roads to nowhere, and teacher-less schools, among other counterproductive outcomes. The vast waste has led to the current conventional wisdom that development, coded as “nation-building,” doesn’t work. Of course it doesn’t, if you don’t do it right.

Part of the problem, as I’ve seen in the Balkans, Iraq, and Africa, is that as the violence breaks out, local professionals and technocrats essential to public services — as well as key civil society leaders — are among the first to flee. But they are not among the first to return, if they ever do. Their stand-ins tend to be a combination of incompetent, criminalized, or corrupted local aspirants, soldiers whose primary job is not public services administration, or foreign civilians who may have the right skills but often for the wrong job and place.

What should be patently obvious by now is that, especially in the struggles of the 21st century, the people are more elemental than governments or armies. And yet U.S. foreign and military assistance remains overwhelmingly programmed and sourced for the first two parts of Clausewitz’s “remarkable trinity,” the military and the government, being more obsessed with national than human security. The United States remains hardly better positioned to address this reality primarily because it has been running the wrong way along the learning curve of peace and security.

Still, the United States is right to play a standoffish, indirect role in military responses to violent extremism. It should do likewise to address the drivers of conflict and instability — but more mindfully as well as seriously.

For starters, it should better manage expectations. As former State Department special advisor on Syria, Frederic C. Hof, told Wright, there is “no magic bullet, and there is no fairy dust” to fix things quickly. Cultural context and playing the long game are paramount. The Western model of individual rights and citizenship in a nation-state does not readily apply. For Arabs, the family is the fundamental unit of identity. Then come clans and tribes. While national identity is “in the public psyche,” a Stratfor analysis read late last year, there’s still a long way to go.

Besides, nations are built from the ground up more than the top down. Just look at America.

Part of the United States fighting extremism in the region means introducing a new dynamic: U.S.-assisted development efforts should look to build peace rather than nations. To correct the nation-building naysayers, the best way to improve governance and civil society is through the bottom-up process of peacebuilding, not top-down state-building. Although it takes much longer and is more uncertain, the costs are far lower and the potential payoffs far greater.

In looking at how the United States might do this, Lebanon might offer a better interim model of governance and civil society to encourage in the fragile and failing parts of the Middle East, rather than federal republics. There, warlords have become national politicians, and government and society barely function to maintain balance among factions, including (rather than excluding) a dormant insurgency in the form of Hezbollah (which, ironically, did a very good phase-four job after the last war there). Lebanon is no Shangri-La, but its relative standard of living, public services performance, and inter-sectarian social and political comity compare well to any other country in the region.

A rule to remember here is that it’s not about us as much as it’s about them. In discussions with U.N. Refugee Agency professionals during a recent trip to Beirut, they told me while it’s important to make sure they are funded, it’s even more important that they render assistance as much as possible by, with, and through legitimate local power structures, as unsavory as some may seem, rather than through parallel pipelines of aid, with the aim of empowering those local pillars.

Their point reminded me of T.E. Lawrence: “Better the Arabs do it tolerably than that you do it perfectly. It is their war, and you are there to help them, not win it for them.”

In addition to dialing up diplomacy and development, the Obama administration could work more closely with organizations more adept at building peace such as USIP and the Alliance for Peacebuilding, (where I am a senior fellow), instead of nations to channel efforts more appropriately. The Pentagon, in turn, should be sending many more civil affairs advisors to help Saudi-led coalition forces (if they go into Yemen) as well as African partners do a better job at phase four than was done in Iraq and Afghanistan, especially to learn the difficult tasks of transition management from war to peace and from military to civilian control.

Whoever gets to the gaps in governance and civil society “furstest with the mostest,” to paraphrase Civil War general Nathan Bedford Forrest, will be the true winners in the epic struggles of identity now taking place in the Middle East, Central Asia, and Africa. The current weakening of extremism and the efforts of those closer to them to take them on presents a strategic opportunity for the United States — and more importantly for the slowly emerging nation-states in those regions — to avoid the next phase-four time warp.

If the United States and its partners in these regions do not seize this moment, the consequences of failure from the last decade will pale in comparison to those that could come in the next.
The Islamic State’s Phase-Four Failure | Foreign Policy

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Bahrain, Qatar and UAE should stop bombing ISIS. Let's leave ISIS for Iraq to sort out their shit. Haven't you read Iraq stance on collation operation in Yemen? Interestingly to note that Abadi criticized Saudi Arabia days ago and now back on his words. The $500 million saudi pledged to Iraq made him blundered. We should take that money back and give it to the people in need instead of giving it to such sectarian incompetent government.