Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
this is one hell of an aircraft
future proof
I was once flying in a C130 from Chaklala. It had a disassembled mirage in the cargo bay along with passengers around it. Plane suffered a complete hydraulic failure. Control surfaces were inoperable. Aerelons and flaps were stuck in one position. We kept seeing Faisal Faisal mosque over and over again. The crew chief came with his flashlight and a big wrench. 3 of them climbed on top on the mirage and manually adjusted the flaps and aileron Into neutral position. The pilot then brought it back to Chaklala just using the thrusts of the engines. Made the turns by changing power settings on one side engine and reducing thrust to glide down. He had one try and he could not climb back up. Did it without breaking a sweat. The crew chief was more worried about the mirage in the belly!

Google Khe San C130 LAPES

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
I was once flying in a C130 from Chaklala. It had a disassembled mirage in the cargo bay along with passengers around it. Plane suffered a complete hydraulic failure. Control surfaces were inoperable. Aerelons and flaps were stuck in one position. We kept seeing Faisal Faisal mosque over and over again. The crew chief came with his flashlight and a big wrench. 3 of them climbed on top on the mirage and manually adjusted the flaps and aileron Into neutral position. The pilot then brought it back to Chaklala just using the thrusts of the engines. Made the turns by changing power settings on one side engine and reducing thrust to glide down. He had one try and he could not climb back up. Did it without breaking a sweat. The crew chief was more worried about the mirage in the belly!

Google Khe San C130 LAPES
The way it can land with a full load, on a dirt strip, off load, and then do a U turn = amazing!

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Scheduled

Scheduled for delivery rite after covid'19 around end September rite sir?
Covid 19 is a wrench in the works for sure, but hopefully IA before that, the initial ones should start landing.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
I thought PAF has like 16 C130s...I could be wrong. I assume these will replace the oldest C130s in PAF?
You are right, the oldest one will go first or be limited to light cargo loads.

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Some old illustrations from G/C Hussaini's book.
PAF C-130s at war.

1965 Heavy bomber. Dropping 24000 lbs of ordnance over Indian artillery positions near Atari. Decimated their advance towards Lahore.
20200518_112836.jpg

1971. Supporting Pak Army operations against Mukti Bahini.

20200518_112716.jpg

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
Decades back someone sent me PAF calendar and I cut and framed above picture. It’s still somewhere in my storage. It hung on my library wall along with other PAF pictures for many years . I am too old now and my pictures were replaced by Kids basket ball greats ...

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Decades back someone sent me PAF calendar and I cut and framed above picture. It’s still somewhere in my storage. It hung on my library wall along with other PAF pictures for many years . I am too old now and my pictures were replaced by Kids basket ball greats ...
PAF book club published a compilation of all of G/C Hussaini's paintings in a book in early 90. I still have it.

He then worked with A/C Kaiser Tufail to paint a lot more for his book Great Air Battles of the Pakistan Airforce.
@Zeeman if you are in PK get this book: