WDF Exclusive - PAF signs contract for 9 C130J | Page 6 | World Defense

WDF Exclusive - PAF signs contract for 9 C130J

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
Yes I have it. I think I have every book ever published lol.... my friends keep bringing me from Pakistan or I order on line.
When I was in Pakistan I ran into Retd .A/C ‘Nosy’ Haider at a book store In Islamabad. I asked him to sign his book and we started talking. Ended up at his house the next day for tea. Absolutely amazing guy. Talked a lot about 1965 war. He is a legend of that era. He asked me to design his cover for the book from Canada which I did for him.

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Yes I have it. I think I have every book ever published lol.... my friends keep bringing me from Pakistan or I order on line.
When I was in Pakistan I ran into Retd .A/C ‘Nosy’ Haider at a book store In Islamabad. I asked him to sign his book and we started talking. Ended up at his house the next day for tea. Absolutely amazing guy. Talked a lot about 1965 war. He is a legend of that era. He asked me to design his cover for the book from Canada which I did for him.
MM Alam, Nosy, Rafiqui, Middlecoat were a unique breed.
It was our misfortune that he along with MM Alam were sidelined post 71.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
MM Alam, Nosy, Rafiqui, Middlecoat were a unique breed.
It was our misfortune that he along with MM Alam were sidelined post 71.
MM Alam was sidelined for his East Pakistan connection, but why Nosy?

Btw I heard MM Alam wasn't Bengali, but Bihari?

Zeeman

Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
He was because he became Zia’s military attaché or something’s and got into a big dispute ..he was sidelined

HRK

Reactions
482 27 0
Country
Pakistan
As far as I know he was a guy with the nature of straight shooter and was a critic of senior military leadership for their incompetence in 1971 war .....

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan

Btw I heard MM Alam wasn't Bengali, but Bihari?
He was a Bihari. He was not allowed to fly on the on set of 71 war (cleared afterwards). There was bad blood between him and ACM Zulfiqar who became CAS in 74. He supposedly actively proposed Jihad in Afghanistan at the onset of Soviet invasion even before US involvement and was deemed too extreme for senior leadership and quietly superceded.

HRK

Reactions
482 27 0
Country
Pakistan
He was a Bihari. He was not allowed to fly on the on set of 71 war (cleared afterwards). There was bad blood between him and ACM Zulfiqar who became CAS in 74. He supposedly actively proposed Jihad in Afghanistan at the onset of Soviet invasion even before US involvement and was deemed too extreme for senior leadership and quietly superceded.
I don't think Nosy Haider was Bihari .....

I think you are talking about MM. Alam .... ???

Zeeman

Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
Yes an amazing aviator, big nose and He was very hospitable and talked mostly about his career and how Zardari is so corrupt .... it’s been some time so I don’t really remember anything specific we talked about .
He did mention something about some girl he liked in Spain I think..... it’s in his book too...

I was just in awe mostly meeting the guy who demolished Pathankot and prevented attack on Lahore ..

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
But besides that his professional career, what was he famous for?
He commanded No19 Sqn based at Peshawar. They conducted 2 crucial ground strikes that changed the dynamics of the war. Early morning of 6th, they caught a whole column of Indian armor advancing into Pakistan unchallenged. They were tasked with different orders, but he overruled them. Saw big saffron roundels painted on top on Indian Centurions painted most probably to help IAF indetify them as friendlies. 6 x F-86s obliterated them with big 5 inch rockets. then spent 15 mins plus making multiple strafing passes to expend 1200 rounds of .50 cal brownings. Then on 7th September led the infamous strike on Pathankot that destroyed all of then available Mig21 in IAF inventory.

His interview with BBC during 1965 war. He had swagger!

Last edited:

Zeeman

Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
It’s funny because in the official history of Indian airforce book they conceded a lot more losses in the ground than Pakistan ever claimed !!!! I still have their book somewhere