A PIA Airbus airplane flying from Lahore to Karachi has crashed with 95 passengers onboard | Page 14 | World Defense

A PIA Airbus airplane flying from Lahore to Karachi has crashed with 95 passengers onboard

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
View attachment 13224

Guys at Flightradar24 have done a great job.
They have decoded the aircraft transponder data.
It shows that at the time of first landing the aircraft speed was 220 knots.
The maximum permissible landing speed is up to 170 knots.
Ideal speed is below 145 knots.
Above 170 knots the aircraft may suffer structural damage.
Touching down at 220 knots caused the aircraft to scrape engines and bounce 3 times.

Why the pilot landed at such an incredibly high speed?
Was the speed indicator faulty?
Speed Indicator, and Altimeter both ...........

Pakhtoon yum

Reactions
2,107 44 0
Country
Pakistan
View attachment 13224

Guys at Flightradar24 have done a great job.
They have decoded the aircraft transponder data.
It shows that at the time of first landing the aircraft speed was 220 knots.
The maximum permissible landing speed is up to 170 knots.
Ideal speed is below 145 knots.
Above 170 knots the aircraft may suffer structural damage.
Touching down at 220 knots caused the aircraft to scrape engines and bounce 3 times.

Why the pilot landed at such an incredibly high speed?
Was the speed indicator faulty?
There were reports that there where problems with the left(?) engine. So it might have been that the engines acted on there own and the smack on the ground represents the pilots attempt to control them. It's all hazy so I would stay away from it for now.

safriz

Reactions
292 11 0
Country
Pakistan
There were reports that there where problems with the left(?) engine. So it might have been that the engines acted on there own and the smack on the ground represents the pilots attempt to control them. It's all hazy so I would stay away from it for now.
Left engine was the first one to scrape the runway.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
Yes unfortunately everyone I have talked to who fly planes see major issues with the human handling of this flight ....
They told me what goes on in the PIA in general and I rather not embarrass myself sharing as a Pakistani.

Caprxl

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,401 66 0
Country
Pakistan
Speed Indicator, and Altimeter both ...........

Would ATC not be monitoring both & informing the pilot? I think it is normal SOP & if it was not followed, ATC should be half the culprit. Yesterday ATC was included in investigation as well.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Would ATC not be monitoring both & informing the pilot? I think it is normal SOP & if it was not followed, ATC should be half the culprit. Yesterday ATC was included in investigation as well.
They informed him thrice, his Alt was not right. Not sure of the accuracy of the following report since gulf news is biased.

PIA crash: Crashed Pakistan plane's pilot ignored 3 warnings to lower altitude

May 25, 2020
The claim is being made based on an ATC report seen by Geo News

The Airbus A-320 from Lahore to Karachi was 15 nautical miles from the Jinnah International Airport, flying at an altitude of 10,000 feet above the ground instead of 7,000 when the Air Traffic Control (ATC) issued its first warning to lower the plane's altitude, Geo News quoted an ATC report as saying.

Instead of lowering the altitude, the pilot responded by saying that he was satisfied. When only 10 nautical miles were left till the airport, the plane was at an altitude of 7,000 feet instead of 3,000 feet, it said.

The ATC issued a second warning to the pilot to lower the plane's altitude. However, the pilot responded again by stating that he was satisfied and would handle the situation, saying he was ready for landing, the report said.

The report said that the plane had enough fuel to fly for two hours and 34 minutes, while its total flying time was recorded at one hour and 33 minutes.

Pakistani investigators are trying to find out if the crash is attributable to a pilot error or a technical glitch.

According to a report prepared by the country's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), the plane's engines had scraped the runway thrice on the pilot's first attempt to land, causing friction and sparks recorded by the experts.

When the aircraft scraped the ground on the first failed attempt at landing, the engine's oil tank and fuel pump may have been damaged and started to leak, preventing the pilot from achieving the required thrust and speed to raise the aircraft to safety, the report said.

The pilot made a decision "on his own" to undertake a "go-around" after he failed to land the first time. It was only during the go-around that the ATC was informed that landing gear was not deploying, it said.

"The pilot was directed by the air traffic controller to take the aircraft to 3,000 feet, but he managed only 1,800. When the cockpit was reminded to go for the 3,000 feet level, the first officer said 'we are trying'," the report said.

Experts said that the failure to achieve the directed height indicates that the engines were not responding. The aircraft, thereafter, tilted and crashed suddenly.

The flight crashed at the Jinnah Garden area near Model Colony in Malir on Friday afternoon, minutes before its landing in Karachi's Jinnah International Airport. Eleven people on the ground were injured.

The probe team, headed by Air Commodore Muhammad Usman Ghani, President of the Aircraft Accident and Investigation Board, is expected to submit a full report in about three months.

According to the PIA's engineering and maintenance department, the last check of the plane was done on March 21 this year and it had flown from Muscat to Lahore a day before the crash.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Yes unfortunately everyone I have talked to who fly planes see major issues with the human handling of this flight ....
They told me what goes on in the PIA in general and I rather not embarrass myself sharing as a Pakistani.
What goes on in PIA is no hidden secret. But how many of them, that you spoke to, were in the cockpit?

Caprxl

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,401 66 0
Country
Pakistan
They informed him thrice, his Alt was not right. Not sure of the accuracy of the following report since gulf news is biased.

PIA crash: Crashed Pakistan plane's pilot ignored 3 warnings to lower altitude
May 25, 2020
The claim is being made based on an ATC report seen by Geo News

The Airbus A-320 from Lahore to Karachi was 15 nautical miles from the Jinnah International Airport, flying at an altitude of 10,000 feet above the ground instead of 7,000 when the Air Traffic Control (ATC) issued its first warning to lower the plane's altitude, Geo News quoted an ATC report as saying.

Instead of lowering the altitude, the pilot responded by saying that he was satisfied. When only 10 nautical miles were left till the airport, the plane was at an altitude of 7,000 feet instead of 3,000 feet, it said.

The ATC issued a second warning to the pilot to lower the plane's altitude. However, the pilot responded again by stating that he was satisfied and would handle the situation, saying he was ready for landing, the report said.

The report said that the plane had enough fuel to fly for two hours and 34 minutes, while its total flying time was recorded at one hour and 33 minutes.

Pakistani investigators are trying to find out if the crash is attributable to a pilot error or a technical glitch.

According to a report prepared by the country's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), the plane's engines had scraped the runway thrice on the pilot's first attempt to land, causing friction and sparks recorded by the experts.

When the aircraft scraped the ground on the first failed attempt at landing, the engine's oil tank and fuel pump may have been damaged and started to leak, preventing the pilot from achieving the required thrust and speed to raise the aircraft to safety, the report said.

The pilot made a decision "on his own" to undertake a "go-around" after he failed to land the first time. It was only during the go-around that the ATC was informed that landing gear was not deploying, it said.

"The pilot was directed by the air traffic controller to take the aircraft to 3,000 feet, but he managed only 1,800. When the cockpit was reminded to go for the 3,000 feet level, the first officer said 'we are trying'," the report said.

Experts said that the failure to achieve the directed height indicates that the engines were not responding. The aircraft, thereafter, tilted and crashed suddenly.

The flight crashed at the Jinnah Garden area near Model Colony in Malir on Friday afternoon, minutes before its landing in Karachi's Jinnah International Airport. Eleven people on the ground were injured.

The probe team, headed by Air Commodore Muhammad Usman Ghani, President of the Aircraft Accident and Investigation Board, is expected to submit a full report in about three months.

According to the PIA's engineering and maintenance department, the last check of the plane was done on March 21 this year and it had flown from Muscat to Lahore a day before the crash.

Yes, this one above. I would say let us wait for the investigation & see what comes out when Voice recorder is super imposed on data recorder, I think the complete unbiased picture will be painted what Actually happened.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Yes, this one above. I would say let us wait for the investigation & see what comes out when Voice recorder is super imposed on data recorder, I think the complete unbiased picture will be painted what Actually happened.
Lets see how much heat Enggr gets. If any

Zeeman

Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
Bro Khafee people who fly 777 to Toronto come and stay or visit my business partner’s family. They are all ex AF. Infact they always tell me to come to Pakistan and fly with them and they can even arrange a cockpit tour.

this is how close I know them. But I always tell them I am scared of flying and I ain’t getting in the cockpit or will get anxiety attack from seeing cramped quarters ....

Don’t get me started on Nawaz’s personal pilot....

Zeeman

Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
Don’t even get me started on drinking issues of who’s who in sports, entertainment and politics. Waseem Akram likes something special .... have you ever heard of a politician opening fast with beer ? It happens here in Toronto with some politicians visiting from Pakistan.

how about a PPP sitting senator’s wife who is a Canadian immigrant collecting welfare but yet buying a million dollar home here on her kids name...
I mean the disgust goes on and on.
In PIA money laundering , smuggling even drugs happen and people know about it within... how about the drinking problem with the crew and pilots ...