132 8 0
Country
India

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
Salam / Hi / Hello people .......... happy new year to all of you, may the days and years ahead be full of blessings for all of you and your families.

@Indus Falcon ......... bari dair kar di mehrban atay atay ~^~ ........ welcome aboard nice to have you with us bro :)'

@SOUTHie @vsdoc @Atalay @jbgt90 @Nilgiri

@khafee @Joe Shearer @WebMaster @Scorpion @Legend

@H!thchiker @Tps77 @Hellhound @Zarvan

@A123

Would you mind awfully if I congratulated all of you reading this on being here to read this? And may I hope that you read such good wishes next year as well? By the grace of providence, you will all be in the same health, and, more, you will be here. I hope you also detect the very selfish thought at the bottom of the offering of such largesse of future good fortune.

Nilgiri

BANNED
Reactions
224 22 0
Country
India
Incidentally, @SOUTHie, Malayalam separated out from Thamizh about three hundred years ago; you should be able to follow much of the conversation, especially as they speak at 33 1/3 rpm, and you lot speak at 78 rpm!!! (I've never managed to follow Malayalam, although I have a certain amount of 'butler' Thamizh, and 'autodriver' Kannada).

I like malayalam. It has a calming effect hearing something go by so quick. I guess I can understand better than most Tamilians being from the border area + family ancestry etc. Definitely understand it lot better than Kannada and Telugu....and even what passes off as Tamil in Chennai a lot of the time. They retain lot of sanskrit words too, makes it easier in my case these days. I found later in life the numbers I use are essentially malayali rather than pure kaveri + eastern tamil too (nallu, anchu versus nanku/eindu for four/five etc)....definitely its somewhat of a language continuum in many regards.

Lot of great poetry came from the Chera age, back when still west coast Tamil "dialect" there...but many will tell you Malayalam has much longer history....in fact when it diverged from "Tamil" in a standardised definable form, I would date back to much earlier than 300 years. Maybe 700 at least. But very mututally intelligible during that period even, for longest time as a kid I thought the Jnanappana and other nice poems were Tamil. ...because even in Tamil there is much variance in register/dialect etc depending on the particular area of origin.

Nilgiri

BANNED
Reactions
224 22 0
Country
India
Salam / Hi / Hello people .......... happy new year to all of you, may the days and years ahead be full of blessings for all of you and your families.

@Indus Falcon ......... bari dair kar di mehrban atay atay ~^~ ........ welcome aboard nice to have you with us bro :)'

@SOUTHie @vsdoc @Atalay @jbgt90 @Nilgiri

@khafee @Joe Shearer @WebMaster @Scorpion @Legend

@H!thchiker @Tps77 @Hellhound @Zarvan

@A123

Hey there buddy, happy new year to you and yours as well.

I always wondered, what does I.R.A stand for if anything (like I know another IRA, pretty sure its not yours hehe).

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
I like malayalam. It has a calming effect hearing something go by so quick. I guess I can understand better than most Tamilians being from the border area + family ancestry etc. Definitely understand it lot better than Kannada and Telugu....and even what passes off as Tamil in Chennai a lot of the time. They retain lot of sanskrit words too, makes it easier in my case these days. I found later in life the numbers I use are essentially malayali rather than pure kaveri + eastern tamil too (nallu, anchu versus nanku/eindu for four/five etc)....definitely its somewhat of a language continuum in many regards.

Lot of great poetry came from the Chera age, back when still west coast Tamil "dialect" there...but many will tell you Malayalam has much longer history....in fact when it diverged from "Tamil" in a standardised definable form, I would date back to much earlier than 300 years. Maybe 700 at least. But very mututally intelligible during that period even, for longest time as a kid I thought the Jnanappana and other nice poems were Tamil. ...because even in Tamil there is much variance in register/dialect etc depending on the particular area of origin.

Of course you would have gone through these experiences. What you have just explained is something that I stopped trying to convey to those who advocate, for present-day political and societal reasons, the absolute cultural autonomy of the Indus Valley region. This is my less-than-worshipful phrasing; an advocate would have put it differently. But you have described the language continuum that exists all over, not just between Malayalam and 'eastern' Tamil, but elsewhere, all over India. We already have talked about the equivalence of sibilant and aspirate between cis-Indus and trans-Indus dialects of Indo-Iranian; in a far removed location, where the attenuated wash of Indo-Aryan aka Sanskrit and its accompanying Prakrit met the eastern languages that have nothing to do with either Indo-Aryan or with Dravidian, we find the same or similar. From Odisha or whatever they are calling their region these days, running across north-east to the Brahmaputra Valley, there is an identical shift, from the strong dental 's' ranging through the increasingly accented versions of mid-Bengal, until the Valley recognises the 's' sound but writes it with a 'ch'. That leads to some decidedly infelicitous results; north Indians find one combination, the kingdom of the Sutiyas, irresistible; in Assamese, it is spelt 'chutiya'.

Back to your note. I remember, as a 'furriner', how difficult I found adjusting to quarrelsome, squabbling Madras (as it still was when I shifted), and what a relief it was to listen to the Tamil of Madurai, and to deal with a completely transformed, far more dignified and respectful culture, where you counted for something as long as your manners were in place. It isn't just the variance in register or dialect, there are huge cultural distances, even in as homogenous a state as Tamil Nadu. Some attribute it maliciously to the influence of the immediate northern neighbours.

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
I always wondered, what does I.R.A stand for if anything (like I know another IRA, pretty sure its not yours hehe).

Naaa totally unrelated ....... its just a coincidence that my initials match with that IRA. And thankfully you haven't mistaken me for a female. (:-)

I hope you also detect the very selfish thought at the bottom of the offering of such largesse of future good fortune.

We haven't started yet. Itna to banta he hay I think?

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
No reason at all. I'm a reasonable guy.

Did you know that I always thought you were Arab till you went an totally confused me recently?

I can't remember now what you told me a long time ago ... something about to the west or some such.

That either puts you around Iraq or Turkey.

I'm confused.

Cheers, Doc

I belong to Abbasid family .......... it doesn't matter much to me, and I consider Abbasid rule one of the reasons that Islam got stagnant and the efforts to conceal its pure message were at its peak. All these fairy tales were written in that era.

vsdoc

BANNED
Reactions
38 1 0
Country
India
I belong to Abbasid family .......... it doesn't matter much to me, and I consider Abbasid rule one of the reasons that Islam got stagnant and the efforts to conceal its pure message were at its peak. All these fairy tales were written in that era.

Abbasids were as Arab as they come bro.

Still.confused.

Cheers, Doc

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
Abbasids were as Arab as they come bro.

Still.confused.

Cheers, Doc

What is the confusion? My being born in Pakistan? Or me being a Muslim?

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
Neither.

Your recent statement that you were not Arab.

Cheers, Doc

I am a Muslim bro ....... who is still learning Islam. I don't have time for anything else, division on any basis is strictly against what I believe now. Arab has places where Muhammad peace be upon him lived and practiced true Islam, that country is origin of the true Muslims of the past ......... that is the only interest I have in being an Arab.

vsdoc

BANNED
Reactions
38 1 0
Country
India
I am a Muslim bro ....... who is still learning Islam. I don't have time for anything else, division on any basis is strictly against what I believe now. Arab has places where Muhammad peace be upon him lived and practiced true Islam, that country is origin of the true Muslims of the past ......... that is the only interest I have in being an Arab.

Ok.

But to a Zoroastrian, you are Arab first, before being Muslim.

And we are friends.

So don't say it's personal.

It's highly racially generic.

Cheers, Doc