Lockheed Martin (LM) CSC Type 26 Frigate Design | Page 7 | World Defense

Lockheed Martin (LM) CSC Type 26 Frigate Design

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada
Has it been officially announced that the CSC will have cooperative engagement capability? or your supposition?
Hi Oruka. Good to hear from you. One of the mandates from the Parlimentary Defence Committee Report in 2017 was that any CSC Frigate that was selected for the RCN must have this capability.

Oruka

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Japan
Hi Oruka. Good to hear from you. One of the mandates from the Parlimentary Defence Committee Report in 2017 was that any CSC Frigate that was selected for the RCN must have this capability.
Thanks a lot. I'm sorry if I'm saying too impolitely.

US DOD's contract on September 28th said that Canada funds CEC program and I was interested in. With the plan implemented, US, Australia, Japan and Canada, Pacific nations, will be able to highly cooperate in terms of naval operations.

Attachments

• スクリーンショット 2020-10-03 082705.png
    スクリーンショット 2020-10-03 082705.png
    178 KB · Views: 45

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada
Thanks a lot. I'm sorry if I'm saying too impolitely.

US DOD's contract on September 28th said that Canada funds CEC program and I was interested in. With the plan implemented, US, Australia, Japan and Canada, Pacific nations, will be able to highly cooperate in terms of naval operations.
No offence taken Oruka.:) As you may know, Canada has chosen the A/N SPY 7 V 1-2 S Band Long Range Discrimination Radar (LRDR) for the CSC Frigate program from Lockheed Martin (LM) with integration to the relatively new CCS 330 system (also developed by LM) and CEC is a big part of that along with "perhaps" a BMD capability (nothing official yet on BMD). Canada opted out of the US BMD program years ago, but may have to take a second look at it. These frigates will be baseline 9-10 Aegis. Not exactly sure what X Band radar LM's partners have invested in to complement the SPY 7 as they are keeping this one "close to the vest", however I believe it to be the Thales Sea Fire 500 X Band radar. Our Halifax class also have the CCS 330 Command & Control System. Spain has also invested in the SPY 7 LRDR radar for their F110 Frigates from LM. LM is the prime contractor of the CSC Frigate program which is still in the design phase. We should know sometime next year what the final design will be from LM. There will be 15 of these 8000 ton monsters built at Irving Shipyard Halifax at about 4.3B CDN each (15 X 4.3=64.5B CDN). Very expensive indeed!!

Last edited:

Oruka

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Japan
No offence taken Oruka.:) As you may know, Canada has chosen the A/N SPY 7 V 1-2 S Band Long Range Discrimination Radar (LRDR) for the CSC Frigate program from Lockheed Martin (LM) with integration to the relatively new CCS 330 system (also developed by LM) and CEC is a big part of that along with "perhaps" a BMD capability (nothing official yet on BMD). Canada opted out of the US BMD program years ago, but may have to take a second look at it. These frigates will be baseline 9-10 Aegis. Not exactly sure what X Band radar LM's partners have invested in to complement the SPY 7 as they are keeping this one "close to the vest", however I believe it to be the Thales Sea Fire 500 X Band radar. Our Halifax class also have the CCS 330 Command & Control System. Spain has also invested in the SPY 7 LRDR radar for their F110 Frigates from LM. LM is the prime contractor of the CSC Frigate program which is still in the design phase. We should know sometime next year what the final design will be from LM. There will be 15 of these 8000 ton monsters built at Irving Shipyard Halifax at about 4.3B CDN each (15 X 4.3=64.5B CDN). Very expensive indeed!!
Thank you for your generosity, Granny.

CSC will provide the improved situation awareness and defense capability to the RCN! Whose BMs will the CSC confront? Russian one? Operational cooperation with US will maximize the capability. As you know, Japan suspended Aegis Ashore program that equipped with AN/SPY-7(V)1 and AWS baseline J7.B. It is uncertain whether the program goes on or not, and also SPY-7 for Japan will bear fruit or not.

Can I read the committee report refer to CEC on the internet? I'm sorry for my impudent, but could you give me the URL?

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada
Hi Oruqa. Sorry for taking so long to reply. There are so many Government websites pertaining to CSC Frigate program. However I can give you a Parlimentary Budget office report dates 01 June 2017 that gives you a "hint" on CEC for the CSC frigate program. I also have a Canadian Naval Review article that talks about CEC for the CSC frigate as well. Hopefully these will help. Cheers!

:)

Oruka

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Japan
Hi Oruqa. Sorry for taking so long to reply. There are so many Government websites pertaining to CSC Frigate program. However I can give you a Parlimentary Budget office report dates 01 June 2017 that gives you a "hint" on CEC for the CSC frigate program. I also have a Canadian Naval Review article that talks about CEC for the CSC frigate as well. Hopefully these will help. Cheers!

:)
It's not a problem, Granny. Thank you for your trouble. I have to learn about CSC more...

When you have some problems about JSDF, I might be able to help you.;)

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada
It's not a problem, Granny. Thank you for your trouble. I have to learn about CSC more...

When you have some problems about JSDF, I might be able to help you.;)
Sorry Oruka, I have not been "up-to-scratch" on the JSDF lately. I just know you have a very efficient and modern Navy and very pro-active on your building of major combatants. What is your Navy's yearly budget and what budget problems/set-backs have you had? What new naval projects is JSDF considering for the future?

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0

Rolls-Royce Upgrades Facility to Support Canadian Frigate Program

1602034301400.png

An expansion to the Rolls-Royce Centre of Excellence for Naval Handling Equipment in Canada, has recently completed. Earlier this year, Rolls-Royce invited Canadian Government officials to break ground on the centre. The Canadian Federal Government has already selected the Global Combat Ship design for the Royal Canadian Navy’s 15 new Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) ships. The 7,500 sq-ft expansion of the facility based in Peterborough, Ontario will facilitate the assembly and test of the innovative Mission Bay Handling System, a key feature of the Global Combat Ship design recently selected for UK, Canada and Australia’s advanced anti-submarine warfare frigate programs.

Bruce Lennie, Rolls-Royce Canada, Vice President, Business Development & Government Affairs said: “The timely completion of the expansion and the significant investment in the infrastructure to support the CSC program demonstrates our commitment to developing advanced industrial technologies to benefit the Canadian economy and Canada’s Armed Forces.”

The investment into the expansion of the facility is an example of the National Shipbuilding Strategy delivering 100% Canadian Content Value as part of the Industrial and Technological Benefits policy. Rolls-Royce has already expanded its supply chain in Canada to meet the significant domestic and international export opportunities created by the Global Combat Ship program, working closely with Irving Shipbuilding, the prime contractor for the CSC program, as well as Lockheed Martin Canada and BAE Systems to enable the company to sustain significant growth of the Canadian economy well into the future.

Rolls-Royce is a diversified, high technology partner with over 70 years of service in Canada. Today, we employ approximately 1,000 Canadians across four facilities in cities including Montreal, Ottawa and Peterborough. The Centre will harness and build upon the wealth of Canadian engineering and technological expertise we have at Rolls-Royce. Rolls-Royce’s Mission Bay Handling System (MBHS) is designed for adaptability and flexibility, offering a low-risk solution for tomorrow’s platforms. The MBHS has the capability to launch and recover naval vehicles and move containerised packages without the aid of a dockside crane. The multi-functional system can also be easily adapted to support custom operational requirements, such as humanitarian missions, by providing the space for medical facilities and aid supplies.

Oruka

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Japan
Sorry Oruka, I have not been "up-to-scratch" on the JSDF lately. I just know you have a very efficient and modern Navy and very pro-active on your building of major combatants. What is your Navy's yearly budget and what budget problems/set-backs have you had? What new naval projects is JSDF considering for the future?
Naval budget is about 1.26 trillion JPY in FY 2020. JMSDF commissioned JS "Maya" DDG, which has cooperative engagement capability. Frigates with new design concept called "30FFM" is being constructed now. (photo)

This topic might be not suitable for this thread, sorry.
1602052658006.png

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada

Rolls-Royce Upgrades Facility to Support Canadian Frigate Program

View attachment 16849
An expansion to the Rolls-Royce Centre of Excellence for Naval Handling Equipment in Canada, has recently completed. Earlier this year, Rolls-Royce invited Canadian Government officials to break ground on the centre. The Canadian Federal Government has already selected the Global Combat Ship design for the Royal Canadian Navy’s 15 new Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) ships. The 7,500 sq-ft expansion of the facility based in Peterborough, Ontario will facilitate the assembly and test of the innovative Mission Bay Handling System, a key feature of the Global Combat Ship design recently selected for UK, Canada and Australia’s advanced anti-submarine warfare frigate programs.

Bruce Lennie, Rolls-Royce Canada, Vice President, Business Development & Government Affairs said: “The timely completion of the expansion and the significant investment in the infrastructure to support the CSC program demonstrates our commitment to developing advanced industrial technologies to benefit the Canadian economy and Canada’s Armed Forces.”

The investment into the expansion of the facility is an example of the National Shipbuilding Strategy delivering 100% Canadian Content Value as part of the Industrial and Technological Benefits policy. Rolls-Royce has already expanded its supply chain in Canada to meet the significant domestic and international export opportunities created by the Global Combat Ship program, working closely with Irving Shipbuilding, the prime contractor for the CSC program, as well as Lockheed Martin Canada and BAE Systems to enable the company to sustain significant growth of the Canadian economy well into the future.

Rolls-Royce is a diversified, high technology partner with over 70 years of service in Canada. Today, we employ approximately 1,000 Canadians across four facilities in cities including Montreal, Ottawa and Peterborough. The Centre will harness and build upon the wealth of Canadian engineering and technological expertise we have at Rolls-Royce. Rolls-Royce’s Mission Bay Handling System (MBHS) is designed for adaptability and flexibility, offering a low-risk solution for tomorrow’s platforms. The MBHS has the capability to launch and recover naval vehicles and move containerised packages without the aid of a dockside crane. The multi-functional system can also be easily adapted to support custom operational requirements, such as humanitarian missions, by providing the space for medical facilities and aid supplies.
Hi Khafee! Yes Canada has hundreds of Large, Medium & Small businesses working together on the CSC Frigate program. When LM has completed the design phase for the CSC frigate next year (2021), many more businesses will be coming on-board. As you may also know, Rolls Royce will also be supplying the RR 30 Gas Turbine engines for the CSC frigate along with the Mission Bay Handling System (MBHS). This will be the biggest defence contract ever for the RCN since the 2nd WW and will employ at least 9,000 personnel directly, and likely over 100,000 pers indirectly from all Canadian companies. If we could only cut through all the red tape and get this thing off the ground!!

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada
Naval budget is about 1.26 trillion JPY in FY 2020. JMSDF commissioned JS "Maya" DDG, which has cooperative engagement capability. Frigates with new design concept called "30FFM" is being constructed now. (photo)

View attachment 16861
Hi Oruka! Thanks for that info. Yes, probably not the right thread, but not to worry. What would your budget be in CAD dollars? I figure about 84B CAD per year but I could be off by a lot. Is the JS 'Maya" DDG part of a class of ship and would it be compared to the CSC frigates? I will look up the 30FFM project. Cheers!

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada

View attachment 16861
Hi again Oruka! Just been looking at yor JS Maya class and have to say, that is one big, mean Destroyer! And you are building at least 2 of them! At over 10,000 tons full load they are almost at "Cruiser" size. It looks as if the class is designed after the US Arleigh Burke class. Your 30FDX frigates look pretty awesome as well, with 8 of those being built! If Canada were to build at least 3 of these ships for AAW and then build 12 CSC Type 26 frigates, that would really be something! Maybe we could save some $$ as well. What is the cost of each Maya class in CAD? I am very impressed and "drooling", just a little.

Oruka

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Japan
Good afternoon, Granny. I think 1.2 trillion JPY ≒ 15 billion CAD. Each Maya-class DDG costs about 21 B CAD and each FFM costs 6 B CAD. FFMs will operate mine-hunting USVs & UUVs. But a initial few ships of FFM have no VLSs and it is said that these will be equipped later.

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada
Good afternoon, Granny. I think 1.2 trillion JPY ≒ 15 billion CAD. Each Maya-class DDG costs about 21 B CAD and each FFM costs 6 B CAD. FFMs will operate mine-hunting USVs & UUVs. But a initial few ships of FFM have no VLSs and it is said that these will be equipped later.
Hi Oruka. 15B CAD for your yearly JP Defence budget seems to be a bit small compared to Canada's yearly Defence budget (21.9B CAD-2019-2020). 21B CAD for each Maya class also seems to be way over the top along with 6B CAD for each of your FFMs. Our CSC Frigates are about 4.3B CAD each in 2020 $$. The US Arliegh Burkes cost less than 4B USD each. 21B CAD for a Maya class destroyer would be about 5 ABs worth. I believe your JP budget is probably more within the range I quoted at JP 84B CAD per year maybe?