Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Not without upgrades.

@Gripen9 ?
Yes. Hellfire has 2 versions 1) Laser Designated 2) mmWave radar guided.
For the first version you need a laser designator which the Ah1F lacks. For the second version you need the MMW radar to designate.
Secondly the hellfire missile is substantially heavier than TOW which is the main armament for AH1F. I don't think the original single engine AH1F has the power to carry full compliment of 8x Hellfire and 70mm rockets.

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Will they be upgraded?
I don't think so. These a fatigued 40+ year old airframe.
You will need to extensively upgrade the electronics, most probably cockpit digitization, changing to twin engine layout (ala Bell 412) with 4 blade rotor set up. Not worth it.

MIRauf

Reactions
242 8 0
Country
USA

PA could do this, if they think that its worth the effort. They could go for possibility of doing it in House with Bell support, pick up another 20-40 used and bring the total to 80 odd AH1S along with 30+ Zs and you will have a very potent Anti-Armor Heli force.

You can then comprise the squadron as 2Zs leading the 3 Ss.

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan

PA could do this, if they think that its worth the effort. They could go for possibility of doing it in House with Bell support, pick up another 20-40 used and bring the total to 80 odd AH1S along with 30+ Zs and you will have a very potent Anti-Armor Heli force.

These still can't fire hellfires.

MIRauf

Reactions
242 8 0
Country
USA
These still can't fire hellfires.

Sorry I wasn't aware that they couldn't, as i was just going by the article, halfway down. I stand corrected then, what went wrong or they didn't do the full upgrade ?

"The upgrade has added new weapons, including Lockheed Martin M310 launchers for the AGM-114R Hellfire missile and seven- or 19-round 2.75in (70mm) rocket pods for BAE Systems APKWS laser-guided rockets "

CHI RULES

Reactions
281 7 0
Country
Pakistan

U shall require rebuilt like Mirage with replacement of engines, their engines lack power so cannot fly above 10,000 Feet.

Armchair

Reactions
1,577 56 0
Country
Bangladesh
One thing I noticed is when Pak rebuilds Mirages, they don't treat the metal for fatigue using metallurgical techniques. Some of the ways this can be done even I have learned via personal research. There are ways to get some reduction in fatigue using metallurgical processes but Pak engineers didn't learn or use them.

They seem to copy how the Americans work on their F-16 rebuilding but they miss out an important point - F-16s have advanced materials, composites, which is very different from all aluminium airframes of Pakistan's airframes. The treatment metallurgically of these later types is a lot simpler and effective, while the former has no case for such treatment and need replacement.

The inability to think, research, learn, and be dependent on copying goras is a critical weakness that shows up everywhere ultimately.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
One thing I noticed is when Pak rebuilds Mirages, they don't treat the metal for fatigue using metallurgical techniques. Some of the ways this can be done even I have learned via personal research. There are ways to get some reduction in fatigue using metallurgical processes but Pak engineers didn't learn or use them.

They seem to copy how the Americans work on their F-16 rebuilding but they miss out an important point - F-16s have advanced materials, composites, which is very different from all aluminium airframes of Pakistan's airframes. The treatment metallurgically of these later types is a lot simpler and effective, while the former has no case for such treatment and need replacement.

The inability to think, research, learn, and be dependent on copying goras is a critical weakness that shows up everywhere ultimately.
This question seems like a bait. To assume that the guys at MRF are clueless, about Al and Composites, is absolutely incorrect.

Salza

BANNED
Reactions
464 0 0
Country
Pakistan
We gave Turkey July 2020 deadline to arrange an engine for T-129s. That deadline has just passed so is there any update on T-129 acquisition w.r.t Pakistan ?