Pakistan to buy 36 latest Su-35's - WDF Exclusive! | Page 5 | World Defense

Pakistan to buy 36 latest Su-35's - WDF Exclusive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliYusuf

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
1,643 69 0
Country
Pakistan
Rosoboronexport did not want to sell less then 50 units to cover cost as they were afraid that eventually China would clone these fighters. They reluctantly agreed only after Putin stepped in. The whole point is that you can always learn something new. Chinese airforce does not operate Jf-17 but that was still a learning curve from them.
Yes you always learn something new ... but the primary motive was not to clone. Perhaps when initial talks had started on the Su-35 deal at around 2014-15, China may have wanted a very good fighter until it's J-20 came out in numbers and also as a back up against a setback or delay to it's stealth project. But once China's stealth project went ahead without any alarms and the even the J-16 matured ... China's dependency on the Flanker-E dwindled a bit.

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
Anyhow, what need to see all such developments in broader strategic context....

Sir, if this (Russian) and that (US) happens, these are balancing acts, mainly focused at keeping the balance of power in the region. US has already consolidated its presence in Afghanistan and Pakistan, if anyone is thinking that they are defeated and wish to exit this region, he needs to revisit every bit of development in this region since 2001, they remained here after 2011. US is now more focused at getting a strong presence in India and protection of its interests in Afghanistan, the reason they are developing ties with AT. I may be wrong but US, China and Russia may have come to this conclusion that anymore war in this region is detrimental to their own interests, they may still keep check on each other and keep doing all the politics, but the time of supporting and making one country strong in this region may not be a wise thing to do anymore. They don't mind selling their weaponry to both the countries in the process, but in my guess they won't let India or Pakistan surpass each other to an extent, where one's existence is threatened at the hands of the other. The homework for all this seems to have been done well in advance, IK prayed for modi to win, Trump opening up to Pakistan, Russia willing to sell weaponry and to extend bilateral ties, Kashmir being brought to international attention ....... there may be more to what appears to eye. All Pakistan needs to do is to extract the max out of it.

MystryMan

Reactions
106 1 0
Country
Pakistan
03 Sept 2019
Khafee

View attachment 9672

There has been news of Pakistan being interested in buying Su-35's. See link below

Yesterday The PM of Pakistan, Mr.Imran Khan visited Pakistan Air Force's HQ. There he met with all the top PAF sector commanders.

The PM was accompanied by a high level delegation including the Foreign Minister, Defence Minister, Advisor on Finance, and Minister for Defence Production among others.

Procurement of +/-36 Su-35's from Russia was approved subject to mutually acceptable terms and conditions.

View attachment 9673
View attachment 9674

Sir, what's the rationale behind this decision? bcz we hear that Russian hardware capabilities and specs are exaggerated and we see it on 27th Feb also.

MystryMan

Reactions
106 1 0
Country
Pakistan
Vipers are coming IA dont worry.

We have a dedicated thread on it. In it I mentioned why. Have a look.

and what about caatsa sanctions if we buy SU35?

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
It could have been because they may have wanted to see how far the Russians have progressed vis-a-vis their previous Sukhois (which the PLAAF operated) and where did China's own current expertise lie in comparison.

They definitely could have wanted a look into any one of the following ...
  • Super Maneuverability control techs
  • Saturn AL-41F1S afterburning TVC turbofan engines
  • OLS-35 infra-red search and track
  • L175M Khibiny-M electronic countermeasures
But probably because, they did not want to leave Russia without a deal when the Russian's were in need of it at that time.

Well said!

The Chinese already operate the Su27, and Su30, with the J-20 around the bend, I think they wanted to insure that irrespective of when the J20 was inducted, they had a back up plan, plus like you said, access to tech.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Sir, what's the rationale behind this decision? bcz we hear that Russian hardware capabilities and specs are exaggerated and we see it on 27th Feb also.

The man behind the machine, has a very good say, as to how an engagement will pan out. There is a reason why the USAF gives it's best aircrafts to its best pilots.

My personal opinion is that these Su-35 will have the same data links as the JF-17 i.e. Link-17, as well as a more robust EW and Comm Suite, than the ones operated by PLAAF.

It will not only bring long legs, but a capability greater than the existing F16 Blk-52+, currently the PAF's top tier fighter.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
and what about caatsa sanctions if we buy SU35?

Please read this, then let me know what you understand.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
I'm sure the degree of tech trnsfr will be more than western platforms, this itself will help Project AZM.

In terms of 5th Gen projects, the Turks are right at the bottom. They have a lot of catching up to do, hence they are also looking at Russian platforms to catch up.

For cutting edge tech you have to pay through your nose, so local prod can definitely be a goal, but should not deter the induction of a cutting edge platform. Especially one that gives the flexibility of using both Chinese & Russian ammo.

PAF is looking at both Eastern & Western solutions, but in the near term, "I think" Eastern it will be.
A countermeasure for the Rafale next door. I hope it comes with the PAK FA radar

aliraza

Reactions
753 30 0
Country
Pakistan
03 Sept 2019
Khafee

View attachment 9672

There has been news of Pakistan being interested in buying Su-35's. See link below

Yesterday The PM of Pakistan, Mr.Imran Khan visited Pakistan Air Force's HQ. There he met with all the top PAF sector commanders.

The PM was accompanied by a high level delegation including the Foreign Minister, Defence Minister, Advisor on Finance, and Minister for Defence Production among others.

Procurement of +/-36 Su-35's from Russia was approved subject to mutually acceptable terms and conditions.

View attachment 9673
View attachment 9674

soldier is here sirji

TsAr

THINK TANK
Reactions
3,227 74 0
Country
Pakistan
The man behind the machine, has a very good say, in to how an engagement will pan out. There is a reason why the USAF gives it's best aircrafts to its best pilots.

My personal opinion is that these Su-35 will have the same data links as the JF-17 i.e. Link-17, as well as a more robust EW and Comm Suite, than the ones operated by PLAAF.

It will not only bring long legs, but a capability greater than the existing F16 Blk-52+, currently the PAF's top tier fighter.
Lets hope for the best. Pakistan has an habit of masking their capabilities. I am pretty sure PAF would only go for the SU-35 when the whole package with all the goodies will be offered.

PewPew

Reactions
309 9 0
Country
Pakistan
Lets hope for the best. Pakistan has an habit of masking their capabilities. I am pretty sure PAF would only go for the SU-35 when the whole package with all the goodies will be offered.
Personally, I'm not too thrilled about Russian AAM or ASMs. I'd actually trust Chinese AAMs more at this point, especially when they have a proven and growing electronic base, continuous development, and economies-of-scale. Moreover, a supersonic-cruising AShM like the HD-1A or CM-302 is key if we want to make the Su-35 into a fully-rounded maritime threat. I guess in terms of air-to-surface weapons, there is an X-factor in that China developed a self-contained hardpoint, so you can technically launch AShM, ALCM, PGB, SOWs, from any platform.

TsAr

THINK TANK
Reactions
3,227 74 0
Country
Pakistan
Personally, I'm not too thrilled about Russian AAM or ASMs. I'd actually trust Chinese AAMs more at this point, especially when they have a proven and growing electronic base, continuous development, and economies-of-scale. Moreover, a supersonic-cruising AShM like the HD-1A or CM-302 is key if we want to make the Su-35 into a fully-rounded maritime threat. I guess in terms of air-to-surface weapons, there is an X-factor in that China developed a self-contained hardpoint, so you can technically launch AShM, ALCM, PGB, SOWs, from any platform.
I myself want PAF to stick with the chinese missiles as they have got good experience using them, but that will depend on what deal is struck with Russia, if they are willing to share source code.

PewPew

Reactions
309 9 0
Country
Pakistan
I myself want PAF to stick with the chinese missiles as they have got good experience using them, but that will depend on what deal is struck with Russia, if they are willing to share source code.
It'd be ideal if the PAF can get just the airframe and engines, and then configure its choice of radar, avionics, EW/ECM, and weapons at home.

AliYusuf

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
1,643 69 0
Country
Pakistan
If Pakistan doesn't mess up it's fortunes and opportunities, within the next couple of years there is a possibility of it's emergence as an economically reformed and militarily very very strong force.

Status
Not open for further replies.