Syrian Revolution News & Discussions

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Rebels launch new Syria offensive

6cd74935-34e2-494f-bae8-635259fb8c79_16x9_600x338.jpg

The conservative Islamic factions, including the al-Qaeda-affiliated Nusra Front, are coordinating a multi-pronged campaign whose main target appears to be the town of Jisr al-Shughour in Idlib province (File photo: AP)

By AP | Beirut
Friday, 24 April 2015

Several hardline Syrian rebel groups pushed a new offensive against government forces in northwestern Syria on Thursday, less than a month after seizing control of the provincial capital there.

The conservative Islamic factions, including the al-Qaeda-affiliated Nusra Front, are coordinating a multi-pronged campaign whose main target appears to be the town of Jisr al-Shughour in Idlib province. Opposition fighters are also attacking government checkpoints in a sprawling agricultural plain south of the town as well as nearby military facilities.

The operation keeps the pressure on beleaguered government forces in the area just weeks after the rebels captured Idlib city, the provincial capital. Forces loyal to President Bashar Assad maintain control of Jisr al-Shughour as well as towns and military facilities in the province, but their hold looks increasingly shaky.

'Battle of victory'
The opposition groups taking part in the new operation posted a statement online late Wednesday announcing the start of the offensive, which they call “Battle of Victory.” They appealed to residents to stay inside “until God grants us and you victory and liberation.”

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Thursday the rebels had taken five checkpoints since the offensive began, including two near Jisr al-Shugour, in fighting that has killed at least eight rebels and an unknown number of government troops. Observatory director Rami Abdurrahman said heavy fighting raged outside of the town as well as in the Sahel al-Ghab plain to the south, and that government warplanes are bombing suspected rebel positions.

A Twitter account tied to the Nusra Front in the area carried videos showing what it said were fighters firing heavy machine guns at government forces during the clashes. It also posted photos of tanks and artillery purportedly shelling Syrian military positions.

The material could not be immediately verified, but it appeared genuine and corresponded to other Associated Press reporting.

Syria’s state news agency said Thursday that the army prevented “terrorist groups” from sneaking into military camps in Idlib, and killed “scores of terrorists” in the countryside around Jisr al-Shughour. The government refers to those fighting to topple Assad as terrorists.

2f5a1c2c-a51d-4f63-a15c-823a9e2a208f_4x3_296x222.jpg

Refugees in Yarmouk queue for food (AP)

Also Thursday, the U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees, known as UNRWA, expressed concerns about the health situation in the Palestinian refugee camp of Yarmouk in the capital Damascus, which has been the scene of clashes between local fighters and the Islamic State group since the beginning of April.
Serious health problems

“Over the last days, UNRWA has found high incidents of skin infections, diarrhea and hepatitis amongst the civilians displaced from Yarmouk, illustrating the wretched living conditions endured by civilians in Yarmouk, and the sustained risk posed by rampant infectious diseases in the area,” said UNRWA spokesman Chris Gunness.

He added that incidents of chronic illnesses like diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma and cancer are high, making up almost 30 percent of medical cases seen.

Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) fighters overran much of Yarmouk earlier this month, establishing a foothold in the Syrian capital for the first time. The incursion is the latest trial for Yarmouk’s residents, who have already suffered through a devastating two-year government siege, starvation and disease.

About 18,000 people are still in the camp, a built-up area once home to some 160,000 Palestinians and Syrians.

On Monday, the U.N. Security Council called for $30 million in emergency aid to help Palestinian refugees in Yarmouk. The council called for unhindered humanitarian access and the protection of civilians inside the camp.

Last Update: Friday, 24 April 2015 KSA 00:08 - GMT 21:08
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/04/24/Rebels-launch-new-Syria-offensive.html

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
It is reports like that make me grateful I am here in the US. As many problems as we have, at least we do not have to endure the issues in the East.

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Nusra Front, allies overrun key Syrian city

95f6c517-dd60-40e2-9b9d-6e93d65a78a6_16x9_600x338.jpg

Rebel fighters prepare to head towards what they said was offensive to take control of Jisr al-Shughour and surrounding areas, controlled by forces loyal to President Assad. (Reuters)

By AFP, Beirut
Saturday, 25 April 2015

Fighters of Syria’s Al-Qaeda affiliate and its allies overran the last major government-held city in the northwestern province of Idlib on Saturday, a monitoring group said.

The rebels launched their attack on Jisr al-Shughur on Thursday, seeking to capitalize on their capture of the provincial capital last month and open up a strategic assault route to the regime's stronghold on the Mediterranean coast.

“Al-Nusra Front and the Islamist brigades .. took control of almost all the city,” Syrian Observatory for Human Rights chief Rami Abdel Rahman told AFP. “Government forces fled.”

Last Update: Saturday, 25 April 2015 KSA 11:15 - GMT 08:15
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/04/25/Nusra-Front-allies-overrun-key-Syrian-city-.html

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
I hear there are to be Geneva negotations soon to end the conflict. Possibly split the country into two. But I'm sure you know if that happens than Syrian regime will import Iranian, Afghani, iraqi, Pakistani Shias into Syria to change demographics. So they are 10% now if Arab world agrees to splitting state I gurantee you they will become 40%. A minority can't control a nations affairs like this. There should be Arab intervention in my opinion.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
@T-123456 @others

I dont believe there's need for coalition in Syria. If rebels take over Hama it will make it easier to take other cities and possibly change whole equation of conflict. They just need help from Turkish army on ground. If Turkey puts adviser it could help. I think Syrian rebels have people in regime controlled areas giving intelligence. It could be a few months were we say big change in Syria.

Do you believe Iran will intervene if that happens? How would Arab world/Turkey react if they did intervene once again protecting regime for another few years? And if they don't, we should work to make Syria a strong state. The rebels are experienced and should train for asymmetric warfare. They don't need air force or anything like that but we should give them tech transfers. It could make deterrwnce against Israel and Iran. A lot of people will go into Syria if it is liberated from regime. I believe it will become hotspot even.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Mark retweeted
Tazi ‏@TaziMorocco · 49 minutes ago
Wow. Rebels control Judeyda village in Sahl Ghab http://wikimapia.org/#lang=fr&lat=35.551223&lon=36.311188&z=13&m=b

Mark retweeted
Tazi ‏@TaziMorocco · 20 minutes ago
Syrian Rebels continue to advance quickly in Sahl Ghab. Zyara village now under control:

Mark ‏@markito0171 · 15 minutes ago
[HASHTAG]#Syria[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#Idlib[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#IslamicFront[/HASHTAG] confirm now take over Al-Sirmaniyah

Mark ‏@markito0171 · 17 minutes ago
[HASHTAG]#Syria[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#Idlib[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#IslamicFront[/HASHTAG] confirm now take over Ghaniyah

Mark ‏@markito0171 · 19 minutes ago
[HASHTAG]#Syria[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#IslamicFront[/HASHTAG] confirm now take over Ishtabraq at Interchange south of Jisr al-Shughour

Mark ‏@markito0171 · 1 minute ago
View translation
[HASHTAG]#Syria[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#Idlib[/HASHTAG] Rebels control Al-Qahira in Ghab plain

Mark ‏@markito0171 · 3 minutes ago
[HASHTAG]#Syria[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#Idlib[/HASHTAG] Seems many fleeing #Assad-forces are gathering in Frikka & Silli area SE of Jisr al-Shughour

Rebels are closing in on supply lines. Once they manage that, they should do large offensive in Hama. This could be turning point in conflict.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
@T-123456 @others

I dont believe there's need for coalition in Syria. If rebels take over Hama it will make it easier to take other cities and possibly change whole equation of conflict. They just need help from Turkish army on ground. If Turkey puts adviser it could help. I think Syrian rebels have people in regime controlled areas giving intelligence. It could be a few months were we say big change in Syria.

Do you believe Iran will intervene if that happens? How would Arab world/Turkey react if they did intervene once again protecting regime for another few years? And if they don't, we should work to make Syria a strong state. The rebels are experienced and should train for asymmetric warfare. They don't need air force or anything like that but we should give them tech transfers. It could make deterrwnce against Israel and Iran. A lot of people will go into Syria if it is liberated from regime. I believe it will become hotspot even.
Turkiye has already advisers with the rebels but for the Turkish army to put boots on the ground in Syria,we need at least a couple of Arab countries(GCC,Jordan) with us,the Arab should lead the operation(Arab Syria) and we could finish it faster in order to prevent more civilian casualties.
A no fly-zone should be the first action,take out the missile defence,bomb Assads positions then with boots on the ground(tanks) from two sides(Turkiye,Jordan) will be sufficient.
What can Iran do with what?
One wrong move and those US ACs in the Gulf will have the reason to engage.

Last edited:

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Turkiye has already advisers with the rebels but for the Turkish army to put boots on the ground in Syria,we need at least a couple of Arab countries(GCC,Jordan) with us,the Arab should lead the operation(Arab Syria) and we could finish it faster in order to prevent more civilian casualties.
A no fly-zone should be the first action,take out the missile defence,bomb Assads positions then with boots on the ground(tanks) from two sides(Turkiye,Jordan) will be sufficient.
What can Iran do with what?
One wrong move and those US ACs in the will have the reason to engage.

Just like how the operation in Yemen. First conduct SEAD/DEAD. Second establish NFZ. Destroy all military bases and airport. Give air support.

No need for external ground troops. The FSA can handle the rest. But The problem is Al-Qaeda affiliate groups and how to deal with.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Just like how the operation in Yemen. First conduct SEAD/DEAD. Second establish NFZ. Destroy all military bases and airport. Give air support.

No need for external ground troops. The FSA can handle the rest. But The problem is Al-Qaeda affiliate groups and how to deal with.
Obviously the FSA cant handle it,they need help,send some ground troops from Jordan if you dont want us(Turkiye) involved.
Syria is a flat(almost) country,you need tanks batalyons,does the FSA have them?
You think AQ would stand in the way of such an operation,i dont think so,they would get some popcorn and watch the show.
After Assad is gone,AQ will have to disappear to where ever(Iraq) they want to,they wouldnt have a change of surviving in Syria.

Last edited:

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Obviously the FSA cant handle it,they need help,send some ground troops from Jordan if you dont want us(Turkiye) involved.
Syria is a flat(almost) country,you need tanks batalyons,does the FSA have them?
You think AQ would stand in the way of such an operation,i dont think so,they would get some popcorn and watch the show.
After Assad is gone,AQ will have to disappear to where ever(Iraq) they want to,they wouldnt have a change of surviving in Syria.

I disagree with you. FSA doesn't need tanks. They need anti tank missiles to destroy what Assad has. You have to think of the after math my friend. We don't need to heavily arm FSA and repeat the same mistake of Afghanistan and Libya, also Iraq. We can air drop some support like light IFVs, anti tank missiles, guns and ammunition. We on the other hand are going to give an air support like destroying command and control center, arms depots, supply routs...and so on.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
I disagree with you. FSA doesn't need tanks. They need anti tank missiles to destroy what Assad has. You have to think of the after math my friend. We don't need to heavily arm FSA and repeat the same mistake of Afghanistan and Libya, also Iraq. We can air drop some support like light IFVs, anti tank missiles, guns and ammunition. We on the other hand are going to give an air support like destroying command and control center, arms depots, supply routs...and so on.
When is this going to happen?
Btw, didnt mention heavily arming the FSA,i meant Jordanian(with GCC) tank units fighting Assad.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
When is this going to happen?
Btw, didnt mention heavily arming the FSA,i meant Jordanian(with GCC) tank units fighting Assad.

Let's hope it happens soon. We are sick already and people are dying every minute in Syria. The international community is a big jock and the way UN functions is disgusting. How come the power of veto can be a stumbling block in saving lives. This hypocrisy right there my friend. The UN resolution must be based on justice and not be influenced by interests.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
@T-123456

Opposition on ground can do the job. They need no fly zone. I disagree with your visions. most groips that liberated Idlib and what not are 'AQ' or Islamist. People that came to sacrifice their lives and form Islamic state in Syria will get what they want. It's as simple as that, if any governments disagree with that too bad. All these rebels didn't come from around world to hand you syrua on platter to put a pathetic government similiar to ones existing in Arab world today. They came to make change for all Muslims. No such thing as FSA taking over, they better share power or they will be only ones to dissappear. And any other regimes that intervene will enter trashbin of history.