Post US withdrawl Afghanistan | Page 6 | World Defense

Post US withdrawl Afghanistan

Cookie Monster

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,568 76 0
Country
USA
And i hope its not get derailed by unnecessary posts :) Hats off to u Sir for giving us such detail and thoughtful posts.Coming back to topic avoiding all unnecessary and useless talks whats your take of this peace agreement ??Few points to be cleared on start
1)COMPLETE WITHDRAWL IS AGREED.so whats after that on all front....?
2)What guarantee/demand they asked from Pakistan and on which Pakistan agreed on??
3)Who provide the gurantees role of GCC,China and Russia is very imp to ensure keep it on track
4)expect any more demands or curve ball from US if Trump loss the coming election
This post below is how I think it will go down(post exit)...and not at all related to my wishful thinking of annexing Afganistan.

1) After the US completely leaves...there will be a struggle for power by the various factions.
...US wants some sort of a coalition between the Afghan Taliban and the current Afghan government. US recognizes the territory control, influence, and power of Afghan Taliban(hence negotiations with them) and since US has decided to leave(instead of trying to defeat them) they want favorable terms with them. Despite wanting favorable terms with them...US doesn't want them to have complete power. US wants the current Afghan gov to be part of whatever results in the end. The sell outs sitting in the Afghan gov are more easily controllable for US. So basically the ideal(from US point of view) would be a weakened(due to power sharing) hold of Afghan Taliban in the new government along with sellouts in the mix that oppose the Afghan Taliban.

^that's what I think is being pushed for during the negotiations. US is trying to convince the Afghan Taliban to share power...and I think that's one of the biggest issues causing delay for an agreement to be reached. Whatever power sharing agreement is reached...once US troops leave...I think any such power sharing agreement would fall apart(even if not immediately...it will eventually).

2) The guarantee asked of Pakistan is probably to keep Afghan Taliban in line...
...either to convince them for this power sharing...or in case if power sharing doesn't work out(or fails later) and the Afghan Taliban seize power then they would want Pakistan to keep them in line. As in don't allow Al-Qaeda like anti US militias free reign. This is probably part of the negotiations...this is the guarantee they want from Afghan Taliban and Pakistan.

3) I think the US recognizes that Pakistan is one of the key players in Afganistan...among one of the most influential.
- The role of Russia is pretty much non existent...they are already onboard the BRI project...and can get access to sea through Pak if they want. Hence if that is the goal...it's not viable to pursue through Afghanistan. In the past they came to support the side they backed...back when they were looking to spread communism...that's no longer the case. They are no longer trying to spread communism like before. So they have literally nothing to gain in Afghanistan.
- China doesn't have the influence like Pak's...their influence is more through throwing money for development projects and such. If they want influence on the ground...they can act through Pak and Pak can act through Afghan Taliban.
- India's influence is on the groups opposing Afghan Taliban(bcuz obviously the enemy of my enemy is my friend...if Afghan Taliban have support of Pak...their enemies get India to support them...and in return push Indian agenda). However we have seen those groups fail in their struggle against the Afghan Taliban. Nonetheless they will continue trying and this struggle will play a part in instability that is likely to occur.
- GCC...I'm not sure how they will play out in this...I think if anything they would be in support of Pak's influence rather than directly getting involved. The reason is that they can just exercise indirect control through Pak(much like China). They will definitely be interested in at least supporting Pak to counter Iran.
- Iran would try its hand at gaining influence...and might even join hands with the same groups that India would back.

4) I actually expect Trump to win. Trump supporters for the most part are blind supporters. Anything that is shown in the media against Trump...he calls it fake news and they believe him. Additionally US did experience relatively good economic progress(in terms of low unemployment and other such things) under him(prior to COVID19). Then during the lockdown...even though the economy suffered...the government approved a stimulus package which handed out money to businesses and ppl. Like taxpayers literally received money directly in their bank accounts. Some will blindly give credit to Trump for it and hence vote for him.
The remaining who may not want to vote for him...will probably end up doing so like last time they did to sort of spite the democrats. During the last elections...a lot of Bernie supporters voted for Trump bcuz of the shenanigans Dems pulled to make make him lose against Hillary. The Dems did the same this time...even worse. Bernie had the lead and Biden was dead last...then as each Dem candidate dropped out of the race they backed out in support of Biden. This literally brought him up from the last position to the point where he won and Bernie was sidelined again. So in conclusion Trump will win again.

Sidenote...I myself am thinking of voting for Trump. Although I don't care for Trump nor Biden...I would ask members here to give their input whether or not I should vote for Trump.

Last edited:

Zulu

Reactions
2,010 60 0
Country
Pakistan
Brilliant :^D Give me some time to make an proper reply which can do full justice to your great post
This post below is how I think it will go down(post exit)...and not at all related to my wishful thinking of annexing Afganistan.

1) After the US completely leaves...there will be a struggle for power by the various factions.
...US wants some sort of a coalition between the Afghan Taliban and the current Afghan government. US recognizes the territory control, influence, and power of Afghan Taliban(hence negotiations with them) and since US has decided to leave(instead of trying to defeat them) they want favorable terms with them. Despite wanting favorable terms with them...US doesn't want them to have complete power. US wants the current Afghan gov to be part of whatever results in the end. The sell outs sitting in the Afghan gov are more easily controllable for US. So basically the ideal(from US point of view) would be a weakened(due to power sharing) hold of Afghan Taliban in the new government along with sellouts in the mix that oppose the Afghan Taliban.

^that's what I think is being pushed for during the negotiations. US is trying to convince the Afghan Taliban to share power...and I think that's one of the biggest issues causing delay for an agreement to be reached. Whatever power sharing agreement is reached...once US troops leave...I think any such power sharing agreement would fall apart(even if not immediately...it will eventually).

2) The guarantee asked of Pakistan is probably to keep Afghan Taliban in line...
...either to convince them for this power sharing...or in case if power sharing doesn't work out(or fails later) and the Afghan Taliban seize power then they would want Pakistan to keep them in line. As in don't allow Al-Qaeda like anti US militias free reign. This is probably part of the negotiations...this is the guarantee they want from Afghan Taliban and Pakistan.

3) I think the US recognizes that Pakistan is one of the key players in Afganistan...among one of the most influential.
- The role of Russia is pretty much non existent...they are already onboard the BRI project...and can get access to sea through Pak if they want. Hence if that is the goal...it's not viable to pursue through Afghanistan. In the past they came to support the side they backed...back when they were looking to spread communism...that's no longer the case. They are no longer trying to spread communism like before. So they have literally nothing to gain in Afghanistan.
- China doesn't have the influence like Pak's...their influence is more through throwing money for development projects and such. If they want influence on the ground...they can act through Pak and Pak can act through Afghan Taliban.
- India's influence is on the groups opposing Afghan Taliban(bcuz obviously the enemy of my enemy is my friend...if Afghan Taliban have support of Pak...their enemies get India to support them...and in return push Indian agenda). However we have seen those groups fail in their struggle against the Afghan Taliban. Nonetheless they will continue trying and this struggle will play a part in instability that is likely to occur.
- GCC...I'm not sure how they will play out in this...I think if anything they would be support of Pak's influence rather than directly getting involved. The reason is that they can just exercise indirect control through Pak(much like China). They will definitely be interested in at least supporting Pak to counter Iran.
Iran would try its hand at gaining influence...and might even join hands with the same groups that India would back.

4) I actually expect Trump to win. Trump supporters for the most part are blind supporters. Anything that is shown in the media against Trump...he calls them fake news and they believe him. Additionally US did experience relatively good economic progress(in terms of low unemployment and other such things) under him(prior to COVID19). Then during the lockdown...even though the economy suffered...the government approved a stimulus package which handed out money to businesses and ppl. Like taxpayers literally received money directly in their bank accounts. Some will blindly give credit to Trump for it and hence vote for him.
The remaining who may not want to vote for him...will probably end up doing so like last time they did to sort of spite the democrats. During the last elections...a lot of Bernie supporters voted for Trump bcuz of the shenanigans Dems pulled to make make him lose against Hillary. The Dems did the same this time...even worse. Bernie had the lead and Biden was dead last...then as each Dem candidate dropped out of the race they backed out in support of Biden. This literally brought him up from the last position to the point where he won and Bernie was sidelined again. So in conclusion Trump will win again.

Sidenote...I myself am thinking of voting for Trump. Although I don't care for Trump nor Biden...I would ask members here to give their input whether or not I should vote for Trump.

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
An unstable Afghanistan maybe in the interest of India...but no longer is it in interest of US(at least not directly).

In case of India...
...for India to turn Afghanistan into a threat against Pak...they can't accomplish it by having an economically broke Afghanistan suffering a civil war...with no sense of a government or stability. Maximum amount of damage they can hope to do with that would be a few terrorist attacks a year at best. Fencing of border, installing sensors, using drones for surveillance, and FC patrols would mitigate most of that.
However these terrorist attacks every now and then from Afghanistan isn't the goal of India...it never was(they can do that kind of stuff from their own border with Pak). The whole time their goal has been to prop up Afghanistan against Pakistan as a country(a fully functioning country)...
...so that it poses enough of a threat for Pak to divert its military to the western front... effectively creating two fronts for Pak. So an unstable Afghanistan wouldn't be of much use to India. The only silver lining would be that if Afghanistan devolves into a civil war...at least Pak backed faction hasn't won.

For India to "succeed" in their Afghan strategy, they would have to make sure that the faction they are backing, wins...in such a significant manner that they can be in power. Only through this scenario does India benefit...and through this US indirectly benefits(by diverting Pak's attention away from India...India would be free to focus on China).

Now consider the spectacular failure of India backed factions over the past few decades. Then consider how much power Afghan Taliban hold on the ground(who are pro Pak). With that u can see how long it will take India to achieve its "best case scenario"...and that's only if everything goes India's way. The scales would have to literally tilt the other way for a while during the civil war.

During this whole time...Afghanistan would continue to serve as the perfect place for extremist anti US militias(like ISIS, Al-Qaeda, etc). So if after spending billions of dollars and thousands of casualties of US soldiers...imagine if there is another terrorist attack in US...
...how would that make the US government look in front of its ppl? How would they be able to call WoT and the end of this Afghan war a victory? How would they justify all the exorbitant costs of all this? Instead of looking stupid...it is more in their direct interest to have a stable Afganistan(preferably not under Iran's influence).
India has failed in its Afghan policy when having total support of the Afghan Gov and its apparatus who in turn was being provided protection and financial backing by the US for over 20 years. Once US leaves. Or has limited presence, NDS/RAW will be hunted like dogs by ISI (oops I meant afghan taliban).

Zulu

Reactions
2,010 60 0
Country
Pakistan
Hold this unrealistic urge of annexing of AFG why would we want it ??? did smaller mistake than it back in Taliban era.Have to understand their culture they are humble but proud warriors they love to have friends but not the master.In case still anyone doubt they are Pak puppet have to rem how simply they said no to Pakistan in 2001 as for them that demand was against their principles .Thats why always suggested ppl who handle AFG matters live there minimum 3-6 months to truly understand them first.Now coming back to real world
1)US have to completely withdraw that the point whole negotiation took so much time (from 2014-15 oh yes initial talks started long ago) but why US want to completely abandon the AFG like gift wrap to China/Russia/PAK esp in future geopolitical scenario?.Love to have an saying and in all 3 only PAK is more suitable for them and with real ground power.

2)They tried so hard(with full endian support/demand) that Ashraf Ghani stay related but successfully countered by PAK/Taliban.Abdullah Abdullah is totally diff unlike Ashraf he is not foreign imported also got some real power to shape up things more suitable for all and success of any agreement and as our dear friend @Gripen9 said in real politik there is no permanent enemy or friend only interest matters

3)This time Taliban also trying to get everyone on board and that urgency also felt by other side too as they fear soon have to tackle combined enemy or AFG soil that is ISI/Daiesh.Many times they hit Taliban too some real bloody fights . @Armchair imagine they capture some area blocking all ground routes like Northern Alliance did for wadi Panjsheer in 90's in some far away part of Afghanistan,as with no US airforce present(according to agreement comple withdraw insisted by all parties incl PAK) does any role of j 15 comes to your mind ? ;)

4)Trump is now known commodity for PAK they understand him so well easy to deal with but consider Joe Biden wins the coming election?rem he is the same guy who advocated to have US base in PAK to control AFG matters after withdrawl ?dangerous proposition with such base not only AFG he wants to keep an eye on Iran as well due to location but with CPEC and China strategic interest in Baluchistan not possible for PAK to agreed like before .BTW he consider man with exp and connections in all US dept knows how to handle any task through diff offices.Good man to have on our side but not that easy :)

- GCC...I'm not sure how they will play out in this...I think if anything they would be in support of Pak's influence rather than directly getting involved. The reason is that they can just exercise indirect control through Pak(much like China). They will definitely be interested in at least supporting Pak to counter Iran.
- Iran would try its hand at gaining influence...and might even join hands with the same groups that India would back.

4) I actually expect Trump to win. Trump supporters for the most part are blind supporters. Anything that is shown in the media against Trump...he calls it fake news and they believe him. Additionally US did experience relatively good economic progress(in terms of low unemployment and other such things) under him(prior to COVID19). Then during the lockdown...even though the economy suffered...the government approved a stimulus package which handed out money to businesses and ppl. Like taxpayers literally received money directly in their bank accounts. Some will blindly give credit to Trump for it and hence vote for him.

Last edited:

Zulu

Reactions
2,010 60 0
Country
Pakistan
One of biggest reason of endian failure hesitant to commit with on ground presence as US offered them to match their numbers in AFG after NATO withdrawl that way US may stay there for some more years .saaloon ny 3 billion dollar to phenk diyee aby apni investment bachanyy hi aa jaoo .Sometime i wonder apny Haji Mastan Khan sahi tu nahi kehtyy majority of South asian are of defeated mindset unlike Americans and Europeans
India has failed in its Afghan policy when having total support of the Afghan Gov and its apparatus who in turn was being provided protection and financial backing by the US for over 20 years. Once US leaves. Or has limited presence, NDS/RAW will be hunted like dogs by ISI (oops I meant afghan taliban).

Last edited:

Cookie Monster

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,568 76 0
Country
USA
Hold this unrealistic urge of annexing of AFG why would we want it ??? did smaller mistake than it back in Taliban era.Have to understand their culture they are humble but proud warriors they love to have friends but not the master.In case still anyone doubt they are Pak puppet have to rem how simply they said no to Pakistan in 2001 as for them that demand was against their principles .Thats why always suggested ppl who handle AFG matters live there minimum 3-6 months to truly understand them first.
Excellent reply...loved ur insights on all the points.

Just one thing I would like to clarify as to ur above point...about Afghans being proud warriors who love to have a friend and not a master. My intention towards Afghans...and the theoretical scenario of annexation...isn't in the sense of colonialism. Even though there are some ill feelings shown towards Afghans by Pakistanis(and vice versa)...stemming from multiple reasons...
...I'm not among those who would lump all of them together for the misdeeds of a few. Sure there are some bad apples but that's not a reason to put the whole group under the same umbrella. I consider Afghans my brothers(as Muslims) just as much as I do with Muslims from elsewhere.

So at the ppl level...there was no intention of being their master.

Now coming to the annexation at a country level...again I'm not talking about it in a colonial mindset. If it helps think of it more as a union of two countries. The reason for considering such a thing is to permanently secure the western border of Pak. If u think about it...the great game never really ended...the countries playing the great game may have changed but it is still going on...
...and while Pak may be winning for now(in thwarting India from having the upper hand and propping up Afghanistan against Pak)...nothing is permanent. We shouldn't sleep like the rabbit getting too comfortable with the fact that we have the lead.

For as long as Afghanistan remains a separate independent country...Pak can only act in a third party manner...never really having any direct control. Imagine for a moment that India decides to fund and train an anti Pak group in Pakistan. Pak can easily shut down the bank accounts from where the money is rolling in...if the operation is being funded through drugs(something the CIA has done in the past) rather than bank transfer(which leaves money trail)...Pak can use the police force for search operations and based on intelligence seize the drugs. Any Indian agents that try to enter the country to train this anti state organization can be monitored/arrested. Intelligence would be easier to gather for this anti state group that's operating within the country...so on and so forth.
Now compare doing this for an Indian sponsored anti Pak group operating from Afghanistan...would Pak be able to freeze their bank accounts/assets? Would Pak be able to put a stop to their actions by use of force? Would Pak be able to stop Indians(like Kulbhushan Jadhav) from going in and out of Afghanistan?
It's still possible but it would never be as efficient as it could be if all of that was happening within one country(a united Afghanistan/Pakistan).

Additionally with such a union...the only sticking point of not having access to the ocean would be solved. This can bring the great game to an end...and secure Pakistan's western border for good. As an added benefit this union could lead to a better future(in terms of prosperity) for the ppl of Afghanistan and Pakistan...more so than they would be able to in their separate countries(with all things being equal)...
...as in the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:

Pakhtoon yum

Reactions
2,107 44 0
Country
Pakistan
Hold this unrealistic urge of annexing of AFG why would we want it ??? did smaller mistake than it back in Taliban era.Have to understand their culture they are humble but proud warriors they love to have friends but not the master.In case still anyone doubt they are Pak puppet have to rem how simply they said no to Pakistan in 2001 as for them that demand was against their principles .Thats why always suggested ppl who handle AFG matters live there minimum 3-6 months to truly understand them first.Now coming back to real world
1)US have to completely withdraw that the point whole negotiation took so much time (from 2014-15 oh yes initial talks started long ago) but why US want to completely abandon the AFG like gift wrap to China/Russia/PAK esp in future geopolitical scenario?.Love to have an saying and in all 3 only PAK is more suitable for them and with real ground power.

2)They tried so hard(with full endian support/demand) that Ashraf Ghani stay related but successfully countered by PAK/Taliban.Abdullah Abdullah is totally diff unlike Ashraf he is not foreign imported also got some real power to shape up things more suitable for all and success of any agreement and as our dear friend @Gripen9 said in real politik there is no permanent enemy or friend only interest matters

3)This time Taliban also trying to get everyone on board and that urgency also felt by other side too as they fear soon have to tackle combined enemy or AFG soil that is ISI/Daiesh.Many times they hit Taliban too some real bloody fights . @Armchair imagine they capture some area blocking all ground routes like Northern Alliance did for wadi Panjsheer in 90's in some far away part of Afghanistan,as with no US airforce present(according to agreement comple withdraw insisted by all parties incl PAK) does any role of j 15 comes to your mind ? ;)

4)Trump is now known commodity for PAK they understand him so well easy to deal with but consider Joe Biden wins the coming election?rem he is the same guy who advocated to have US base in PAK to control AFG matters after withdrawl ?dangerous proposition with such base not only AFG he wants to keep an eye on Iran as well due to location but with CPEC and China strategic interest in Baluchistan not possible for PAK to agreed like before .BTW he consider man with exp and connections in all US dept knows how to handle any task through diff offices.Good man to have on our side but not that easy :)
Your first paragraph is unrealistic. Pakistan holds 10× more proud warriors and yet they rep the green flag. Talk to any pakhtoon in pakistan and he'll tell you how and what he thinks of your so called "proud warriors". Just a hint we call them farsibans and that goes for their "pakhtoons" too.

People with this sort of mentality will always hold Pakistans potential back. Its 2 screws lose of a ful blown inferiority complex.

What's in it for Pakistan? How about Pakistan's security and future. Unless you want Pakistan to always be a skinny country with no access to CA and just sit there fiddling its thumps.

Some benefits

1) security
2) resources
3) strategic depth
4) direct connection to CA states/russia
5) increase in land/wealth
2) increase in power projection

20191202_200015.jpg

There are hundreds more.
You need to look at this map again.

Like @Cookie Monster said. We arent going their to colonize them or control them. It's a reunification of the our lands and our people. They will have full rights as citizens after registration is done.

Pakhtoon yum

Reactions
2,107 44 0
Country
Pakistan
Excellent reply...loved ur insights on all the points.

Just one thing I would like to clarify as to ur above point...about Afghans being proud warriors who love to have a friend and not a master. My intention towards Afghans...and the theoretical scenario of annexation...isn't in the sense of colonialism. Even though there are some ill feelings shown towards Afghans by Pakistanis(and vice versa)...stemming from multiple reasons...
...I'm not among those who would lump all of them together for the misdeeds of a few. Sure there are some bad apples but that's not a reason to put the whole group under the same umbrella. I consider Afghans my brothers(as Muslims) just as much as I do with Muslims from elsewhere.

So at the ppl level...there was no intention of being their master.

Now coming to the annexation at a country level...again I'm not talking about it in a colonial mindset. If it helps think of it more as a union of two countries. The reason for considering such a thing is to permanently secure the western border of Pak. If u think about it...the great game never really ended...the countries playing the great game may have changed but it is still going on...
...and while Pak may be winning for now(in thwarting India from having the upper hand and propping up Afghanistan against Pak)...nothing is permanent. We shouldn't sleep like the rabbit getting too comfortable with the fact that we have the lead.

For as long as Afghanistan remains a separate independent country...Pak can only act in a third party manner...never really having any direct control. Imagine for a moment that India decides to fund and train an anti Pak group in Pakistan. Pak can easily shut down the bank accounts from where the money is rolling in...if the operation is being funded through drugs(something the CIA has done in the past) rather than bank transfer(which leaves money trail)...Pak can use the police force for search operations and based on intelligence seize the drugs. Any Indian agents that try to enter the country to train this anti state organization can be monitored/arrested. Intelligence would be easier to gather for this anti state group that's operating within the country...so on and so forth.
Now compare doing this for an Indian sponsored anti Pak group operating from Afghanistan...would Pak be able to freeze their bank accounts/assets? Would Pak be able to put a stop to their actions by use of force? Would Pak be able to stop Indians(like Kulbhushan Jadhav) from going in and out of Afghanistan?
It's still possible but it would never be as efficient as it could be if all of that was happening within one country(a united Afghanistan/Pakistan).

Additionally with such a union...the only sticking point of not having access to the ocean would be solved. This can bring the great game to an end...and secure Pakistan's western border for good. As an added benefit this union could lead to a better future(in terms of prosperity) for the ppl of Afghanistan and Pakistan...more so than they would be able to in their separate countries(with all things being equal)...
...as in the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
The bloodshed will never end. Like the Indians said "we will fight Pakistan till the last afghan"

So why not end it there and make every Afghan a Pakistani?

Afghanistan wasnt even supposed to be a country. It was created by the Soviets and the Brits so they wouldnt clash with each other. They loved to divide and conquer and that land was divided for the sole reason of colonization and looting. That land is a natural extension of Pakistan both people wise and culture wise. Weather some people like it here or they dont but we have more income with an average aghan then we do with an Indian.

Yet here we are sitting within the lines drawn by our masters. Which were used to control us. What a shame

Last edited:

TsAr

THINK TANK
Reactions
3,227 74 0
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan has connection with Afghanistan which India can never develop.

Religion
Islam is strongest bond between both the nations which India lacks. No matter what ever the difference is between both the nations the Islamic brotherhood exists between them.

Common Border
Both the countries are neighbors and you cannot change our neighbors. They need to understand this and give each other respect and space. Afghanistan does not have direct access to sea and the only viable option they have is through Pakistan.They need to realize that they cannot bypass Pakistan. India does not have the economy to financially support them or even militarily. Keeping a good relation with Pakistan would help them benefit from the CPEC.

Pashtun Factor

Pashtun almost compromise 40% of the Afghan population and are mostly concentrated along the Pak/Afghan border. Pashtuns on both sides on the border have done inter marriages sp the bond is pretty strong.

Keeping in mind all the above points I dont think we need to annex Afghanistan, we just need to keep them engaged and act as an elder brother.

Counter-Errorist

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,855 149 0
Country
Pakistan
Your first paragraph is unrealistic. Pakistan holds 10× more proud warriors and yet they rep the green flag. Talk to any pakhtoon in pakistan and he'll tell you how and what he thinks of your so called "proud warriors". Just a hint we call them farsibans and that goes for their "pakhtoons" too.

People with this sort of mentality will always hold Pakistans potential back. Its 2 screws lose of a ful blown inferiority complex.
This grand annexation plan of yours is a typical thought process of armchair generals. They have this day dream stuck in their head where they send out warriors and jets and missiles onto their target area and that destroys everything you planned to destroy and nothing more. It kills all their enemies and leaves everything else untouched and pristine, ready for your taking. And nobody on the other side bothers to fight back or even has a problem with mass senseless destruction you just caused. Everything tidies up nice and easy.

Everyone that disagrees with their perfectly planned dream must be weak and cannot see how perfectly planned all of it is.